Greg
suds, suds and more suds!
Post edited by gshisme on

Comments

• warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I have a Philips cd880. I don't know much about iy, but it weighs at least 20 pounds and has variable out. It is in very good condition and has remote. I will sell for 40.00 shipped if interested. I listened to a couple CD's and it sounds good to me. It has digital and analog outs. I was told it was from 1988 and cost $800.00
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Digital coax?
    Man, those things are built like tanks. If it works, I just may take 'er. Let me sleep on it.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited May 2005
    Options
    At $40 shipped for THAT machine which was raved about when it was introduced, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Yea, It will work for me. PM sent.
  • warlocks1
    edited May 2005
    Options
    It has both coax and optical. The coax is labeled "electical", I assume that means it is digital. I never tried them. The cd player works fine through the analog outs.
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Did some more research on the Philips unit. Very much respected player then and now.

Just wondering what you guys use to clean the rca connections and what oil/grease is used to lube up some of the moving parts.

I'm gonna' be using her with an Adcom GDA-700 DAC unit and just hopin' there will be no communication issues.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2005
    Options
    what's your setup now, bud? sounds like you are getting into a different level of the disease :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by gshisme
    Did some more research on the Philips unit. Very much respected player then and now.

Just wondering what you guys use to clean the rca connections and what oil/grease is used to lube up some of the moving parts.

I'm gonna' be using her with an Adcom GDA-700 DAC unit and just hopin' there will be no communication issues.

Deoxit Progold to clean the RCA connections. Can be gotten at Rat Shack for $14.99. Are you currently using the GDA-700 with another transport? If not, when you hear that thing for the first time it'll blow you away! I have one and they are great units. There will be communication issues.

Regards,

H9

Sorry I meant to say there will NOT!!! be communication issues.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    what's your setup now, bud? sounds like you are getting into a different level of the disease :)

Polkatese, I just wanna' get into the 2 channel sound more....on a small budget level and see what kind of results I can yield. Pretty exciting actually. Thing is, I'm trying to integrate it into my H/T setup because of space restraints. My girl is in the process of moving her belongings..furniture and the like in and we are fast running out of room. Initially, I wanted to grab another pair of SDA's for two channel and replace the 800i, 55i's and the CS400i with some smaller bookshelves for the H/T to wall mount (check out Doro's setup) to free up some floor space. Not sure that will happen' though. So, for now, I'll see what I can do to bring out the best in the 800i's. Ya know, just when you think you have a cure for the disease, it comes back stronger than ever.

heiney, thanks for the info. Glad to hear about the communication issues. And yea, this is my initiation with the 700 DAC.

Ya know, my reviews here on the board are almost non-existent but I'll do my best on this one. Should have everything hooked up by next weekend. Including a couple of Adcom amps that are on their way also.

Greg
  • heiney9
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I'm an Adcom fan so I look forward to reading your impressions. Once you go with seperates there really is no going back. You are in for a real treat!

Enjoy and report back when you can :D

Brock <aka H9>
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by heiney9
    You are in for a real treat!

:):):)
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    warlaocks,

Received the CDP today and it arrived in perfect shape. Another fine polkie packing.

Man, I think this thing is heavier than the amp I also received today. Unit even has an external heat sink. Player looks nice bud. Won't have a chance to put on a listen for a couple days though.

Thanks!
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2005
    Options
    woo hoo, Greg! have fun with the toys...let us know how you like 'em, please.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    woo hoo, Greg! have fun with the toys...let us know how you like 'em, please.

Yeah, I'll do my best Francesco...and thanks!
  • warlocks1
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I hope it works out for you. The package weighed 24 pounds. I forgot how heavy it was. Enjoy!
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    warlocks, thanks. And double thanks for the Bon Jovi cd. :D

I'll get it back to ya via usps tomorrow.

By the way, found a manual to download for the player. That info window on the player is a little perplexing.

And again thanks...checked out all the outputs and everything works great. Damn front panel reminded me of a startship cockpit when I first fired 'er up.
  • warlocks1
    edited May 2005
    Options
    That must be the wife's. I am the Deadhead, she is the metal chick! Actually, we mostly listen to kids songs nowadays. Thanks for mailing it back, no hurry though! I won't miss it!
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited May 2005
    Options
    ROFL You left a CD in it?! That's absolutely HILARIOUS!!! LOL

At least it wasn't your favorite one.....LOL....
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    ROFL You left a CD in it?!

I did the same damn thing when I sold my Yammy 2300 a couple of weeks back!! :rolleyes:
  • heiney9
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Atleast it wasn't a DVD player with a **** disc in it. I can't tell you how many VCR units came in for repair with **** tapes either left in them or stuck, when I was selling audio many years ago. We would always remove the tape and make copies for all the sales/service people.....LOL

H9
  • gshisme
    edited May 2005
    Options
    We would always remove the tape and make copies for all the sales/service people

Looks like a Polk Karma item....
  • rnp614
    rnp614 Posts: 598
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Atleast it wasn't a DVD player with a **** disc in it. I can't tell you how many VCR units came in for repair with **** tapes either left in them or stuck, when I was selling audio many years ago. We would always remove the tape and make copies for all the sales/service people.....LOL

H9

HAHAHA