Lfe

Options
mturner
mturner Posts: 9
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
another quick question ... i just asked the quesiton abotu the 245 adn 400 ... and i'm just new enough to the list that i can't go back that far and find and opinions about the 245 ... everyone just says the 400 is great (which i know is TRUE!!)

ANYWAY ... LFE ... when i upgrade the piece of crap i have now (psw250), do i need to look for something that has an LFE input on it to utilize the 5.1? ... or do i just want to make sure it gets down in the 20 Hz range to get the full effect ...
Post edited by mturner on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    getting as close the the 20hrz range (cleanly) as you can within your budget is the most important thing. you can run your sub 'through' you mains' speaker cables...

what are you looking to spend on your new sub? to hit 20hrz, you are getting around the $1,000 mark...
  • mturner
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i'm not looking to get DOWN to 20 Hz ... just down between 20 and 30 ... maybe low 30 ... that's all ...

i thought that the LFE input was for additional 5.1 enhancement
  • mturner
    edited March 2002
    Options
    low to mid-30s
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Almost all powered sub's have rca signal inputs and that is simply what you will need for your recievers LFE. :)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Just a question. how much music or DVD movies actually have audio below 30Hz anyway? music is seems very little...
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by mturner
    i'm not looking to get DOWN to 20 Hz ... just down between 20 and 30 ... maybe low 30 ... that's all ...

the HSU vtf-2 will get you down to 25hrz for $550. i am running 2 of these currently. best bang for you buck IMO...
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    Just a question. how much music or DVD movies actually have audio below 30Hz anyway? music is seems very little...

there is alot of classical that goes below 30hrz (bach, franck, dupre, widor, vierne, alain, etc...) many movie soundtracks use the 20-30hrz range for powerful impacts/explosions, hence why subs are getting so popular, there is a NEED for them in HT...
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2002
    Options
    a lot of electronic music gets down there in the low hurtz, front 242 has a few songs that have bass lines that drop below 10 hurtz
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • lbrenner
    lbrenner Posts: 33
    edited March 2002
    Options
    "Thus spoke Zarathustra" (or something very much like what I tried to type here!) by Straus reportedly has a 16 cycle organ note. This is famous from the movie 2001.

I have a Velodyne 15" sub (their "cheap" CT model), and I don't think it's really handling it. It does sound WAY better than without the sub. In fact, it really doesn't sound at all without the sub... Likely the poor overworked sub is putting out as much at 32 cycles as at 16, but I have no way to tell. My wife, on the other hand, complains enough about such things that it hardly matters.
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited March 2002
    Options
    >>"Thus spoke Zarathustra" (or something very much like what I tried to type here!) by Straus reportedly has a 16 cycle organ note. This is famous from the movie 2001. <<

That's right—that piece opens with a growl from the low C in the pedal 32' rank (16 Hz). That's the lowest note in the organ, until you get into the 3 or 4 organs in the world that actually have a 64' pipe—speaking at 8 Hz. I think that would technically be called the earthquake organ stop.;)
    There are recordings of them, but I don't know what the point would be—there's nothing to reproduce it, and it would be too dangerous at actual levels.

Give War A Chance
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Genesis 1.1, 10Hz cleanly and its not a sub! To bad they went chapter 7, the 1.1s were nice speakers. They are one of the few speakers which can reproduce live listening levels.
    Chris :)