cs245/cs400

mturner
mturner Posts: 9
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
i've got a bose vcs-10 center right now, had it for a while ... but slowly, i've put together all polks ... 800is for fronts and rt25 for rears ... with a P.O.S. psw250 at sub!!! ... (need to upgrade that too .. but in time)

i want to match ... NOW!!! ... ;) ... what's the main problem with the cs245? i know how good the 400 would sound, but what's the deal with the 245.
Post edited by mturner on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    there is not really a 'main problem' with the cs245, IMO, and for my application the cs400i was just a better choice. you are running 800's up front, the cs400i matches tweeter/drivers exactly with your 800's, the cs245i uses 5.25" drivers. the cs400 can also handle the same 250W that your 800's can, the 245 handles 180W. there is nothing 'wrong' with the 245, it's great center channel. just IMO, the cs400i is a better speaker. listen to both, let you ears decide. i would suggest going with the cs400i if you can swing it...
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    BTW, welcome to the forum...:D
  • mturner
    edited March 2002
    thanks juice, appreciate the reply and the welcome ... makes sense
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Maybe a little late but: GO FOR THE CS400i!!

It will be the best choice you will ever make. I was debating upgrading my POS sub to a PSW450 but then made the very wise decision of going with the 400i (which I upgraded from the CS245i). Sound is soooooo much better. If you haven't already, go for a listen and do a side by side comparison of the two.

Good luck!
    :)

BTW, welcome to the forum!
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    I have the 245 and really enjoy it. I loved the 400i But I was looking more for a wife friendly system that did not take up to much room. And to me the 400i was just to bulky. But I agree with Juice21....there is nothing wrong with the 245i. The 400i is just a better center when comparing the 2.

But it all comes down to what you will be happy with. It is all in the EAR of the beholder.:)
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    God help you if you listen to that CS400i with 250 watts running through it. I own both and think that there really is no wrong answer here. Maybe I can't hear a lick or something, but that 245i sounds plenty good to my ears.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2002
    I have owned both and both are excellent speakers. If you have the room and the cash, the 400i works well. If you don't have the cash or space, the 245i isn't going to disappoint you.

Again, I upgraded to the 400i only because it didn't cost me anything. I have a Carver m0.5t biamping my 400i and have not even come close to anything near the 140wpc that the carver is rated for. Point being, power handling is a non-issue.

For HT applications the differences between the two will be subtle, not night and day.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    Don't get me wrong, yes the 400 is a better cntr. spkr. but it should be with the differance in $$$. On the other hand the 245 is one heck of a cntr. spkr. for the buck. I purchased one for $100 at abc {last one} and it's a very good cntr. for the buck.
  • mturner
    edited March 2002
    first of all, thanks so much for all the opinions on the 245 ... have ONLY heard GREAT things about the 400 ...

but either way, the 245 or the 400 is going to be a welcome addition AND replacement for the BOSE?
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    Turner I had the Bose LS28 and immediately returned it. There is no comparison between the two. And really should never be mentioned in the same sentence because the two companies are miles apart in quality:)
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Integra
    Integra Posts: 14
    edited March 2002
    If you want a perfectly matched front sound stage, then you want the CS 400i. It has the same size drivers and the same tweeter as your fronts providing seamless panning. I just recently upgraded from the CS 245i to the CS 400i. Much better! I use the CS 245i for a back surround and it works good. Go for the CS 400i, you'll be glad you did. My System: Integra DTR-9.1 receiver ; Toshiba SD 2200 dvd player ; Yamaha cd player ; JVC vcr ; RCA Direct T.V. DSS ; RCA 56" RPTV ; RT 1000i fronts ; CS 400i center ; RT 1000i surrounds ; CS 245i surround back ; PSW 140 sub.
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited March 2002
    I have to agree with most everyone in this thread that if you have the space and cash go for the CS400i center speaker. I used the CS245i for over a year with my RT55I front speakers and recently upgrade to the 400i and found it was a better match to the 55s.

BTW, Crutchfield has the 400i on sale for $299.
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    $299 for the cs400i is a great price! good work GrayGhost on the find, and welcome to the forum...:D

mturner - if you are going to order through crutchfield, email me before you do, i can save you a couple of bucks...:D

(click on my profile to email)
  • mturner
    edited March 2002
    yeah, i saw a little bit ago that crutchfield had that deal on the 400 hundred bucks less than CC .. but you can't do the trade in deal, which could be nice ... ALWAYS ROOM FOR AN UPGRADE!!

should i do the 400 instead of the new csi40 before you can't find the 400 anymore?
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    the cs400i will be an exact match to your rt800i's. the csi40 has a different tweeter, but how different the sound is, i haven't heard them. i am sure it isn't dramatic, but the cs400i being exactly the same and timbre matched is important (to me anyway...)