WTB tube Phono Preamp

Options
ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,501
edited May 2005 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
so i got the Radii tube pre from Russ, which i love, problem is, i cant use my turntable at the moment. was going to use my denon pra-1000 pre to solve the problem, but i decided to do this right. if i have a tube pre now (and luvin it), i should try to get a tube phono pre. figured i would see if anyone here has any layin around before i look new. Havent done much research, so i have no idea of a price range

any help would be appreciated thanx

if anyone has any suggestions where to look, that would help too :)
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Lou,

I think this is the unit faster100 just sold used. Looks like a good price from a seller with good feedback, and shipping included:

AE Concerto on AudiogoN

Mike
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Same brand different thing- faster sold me an AE symphonies tube preamp... Which should show up today :)

I'll let you know what I think of the build & SQ- faster obviously prefered the Dodd, but I don't think they make phono stages.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Of course Dodd makes phono stages.

Whats your budget broham? That'll be the best place to start.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2005
    Options
    If I sell some speakers i have (SDA 2B), I can go up to 500.00 if need be. I would hope for less, but with the looking around i have done, that's going to be hard, or impossible.

Checked the Dodd sight before i saw your post Russ, I didnt see a phono pre, but seems like that guy can make anything!

researching options at the moment, and any info will help (really should have put this in Electronics or 2 channel forum eh?, ooops)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Slightly over your stated budget, but excellent value if you enjoy DIY electronics:
    Transcendent Sound Phono Pre
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2005
    Options
    at the moment, i have zero faith in my soldering skill. would like to explore road later (DIY electronics), but with something smaller/less expensive in case i completly blow the mission :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Just a thought, but a tube phono may not give you the most bang for your $500 at this time.

What TT and cartridge are you running?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2005
    Options
    BSR quanta 500 turnrable Shure whitelabel cartridge
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I think you have a dj rig there... BSR's last gasps were with DJ tables and the White Label is a DJ cartridge. Not that you can't play records on that combo, but I would not expect warm sound.

I can't address the early days of BSR, but from the early 70's, when I got in the market for my first TT, until their demise in the 80's (a CD victim), they produced strickly entry level stuff.

IMO, a tube phono pre is not where your money is best spent at this time.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Jolida has a new tube phono preamp, which seems to have good specs and looks pretty good too. Retail should be $450.

Jolida JD-9A

A used option could be something from EAR, but they are usually a few hundred more and hold their value over time too.
  • ohskigod
    edited May 2005
    Options
    think i'm going to back off that plan based on the above advice. thanks for the input guys.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -