Amp Proect Mode

les51
les51 Posts: 2
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,
I have a Hifonics zx 4000 (running at 1 x 400 Watts @ 4 Ohms) pushing a single 12' Polk Audio MM1204 (been running fine and dandy for a year).

The fuse running from the battery recently blew, so I replaced it with the proper fuse.

Here is where the troubleshooting begins...

I turn the volume past 10, and the protect light on amp comes on...
Unplug the RCA, and the light is still on.
Unplug the speaker lines and the light is still on as well.

Power-up the deck again (to reset amp) and below volume 10 on deck, I feel the sub move and the amp is not in protect mode...
(past 10 protect light)

I plug the sub into left channel only, and it works, but course not as loud...
I plug the sub into right channel only, same results...

Bridge it, protect light comes on.

I recheck the wiring and it seems ok...

Again it was working fine and dandy for a year before the fuse blew.

Can you experts tell me what is wrong? Amp? Sub?

Thanks,
Les
Post edited by les51 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    i had something like that happen, and it turned out to be that once the amp was making a certain voltage, it was enough to make a spark from a small cut in a speaker wire... i replaced the speaker wire, problem solved.

how did the fuse blow? were you using the proper rating, or above, or below?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • les51
    les51 Posts: 2
    edited April 2005
    Problem solved...
    LOL... Bad sub (2nd one)...
    Got a new sub now...
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    sweet... enjoy...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Bad sub? That doesnt sound right.

You said the amp stayed in protect with the speaker wires disconnected. This would mean the problem was NOT with the speaker as a faulty speaker cant hurt an amp when its not connected to it.

:confused:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    well, look at it this way - if replacing the sub solved the problem and he's not gonna look into it further, i'd just leave well enough alone...

i do agree with you though

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    We'll just have to wait and see if the problem persists. Maybe it was one of those new fangled wireless subs! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    new? rare? i HAVE to get one! :D

just like those b&ws are my 'ultimate' home stereo goal... as opposed to my 'realistic' one, which costs rather less...