Tundra and MMC650

outlander
outlander Posts: 218
edited May 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

Anyone try putting MMC650’s in their 2000 Toyota Tundra (front and rear)? I just ordered 2 pairs for my truck but noticed the MMC650 is not listed on the Polk fit guide for the Tundra. I don’t understand whey, the mechanical spec look similar to the MMC6500 that is listed in the guide.

Thanks!
O
Post edited by outlander on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    you can make it fit, if necessary :). try dropping them in; if they don't fit, any of a hammer, drill, and spacers may be necessary... but if they're similar to a listed item, chances are the fit will be similar.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Agreed. It should be pretty close and if not it shouldnt be too much trouble to "sweet talk" em into going. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • outlander
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for the encouragement guys, I feel better about my purchase already. The speakers should be here today so I’ll probably try putting them is this weekend. I’ll let you know how it works out.
    O
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    Like they've said, you should be able to make it work out without too much trouble. However, I must ask: Why do you want two pairs of MMC650s in something as small as a Tundra?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • outlander
    edited April 2005
    Hi audiobliss,

The truck came from the factory with four (crappy) 6.5” speakers so I figured the MMC650’s would be a good replacement for them. I actually went into Tweeter to pick up 4 of the Boston Acoustics NX67’s because I know they are a drop in speaker for the Tundra. I was willing to do this to avoid install problems even though as you can see from my home equipment that I’m a bit of a Polk fan. Once I got into the sound room and heard the difference in the sound quality between the MMC650 Vs the NX67 I said the hell with, any install effort would be worth it. To your point four of the MMC650’s should put out a lot of sound in a cab the size of the Tundra (I hope).

O
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Make sure theyre properly powered with at least 50 good watts each. Otherwise youll be missing out on a lot.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bshissias
    bshissias Posts: 9
    edited April 2006
    Just had the mmc650s installed in the rear of my 2003 Tundra access cab and the SR6500s in the front. OH MY GOD!!!!! The sound is the best i have ever experienced in a vehicle.I spoke to the folks at polk and crutchfield directly. The rears need about 2/3 inch and the front requires about an inch clearance which can be handled with 1 inch bushing for the window track modification. I am running the Eclipse CD5000((8 volt pre-out(yummy)) w/IPOD adapter, JL450/4 in the front which is 150x2 and 75x2 in the rears. JL 250/1 with the 2 JL8 inch subs in the Qlogic box designed for the Tundra. I don't want to leave my truck!!!
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2006
    bshissias, glad you're happy with your setup. I feel the same way about mine :).

Outlander, good info for you :D.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • KevinLWhitaker
    KevinLWhitaker Posts: 47
    edited April 2006
    You should be able to easily fit MMC650s in a Tundra with a little work. I currently have MM6s mounted in my front doors which is a larger/deeper speaker than the MMC650. On the front door you will notice a bar (that is the window track) directly behind the speaker. This limits speaker depth but can be easily modified as the poster above mentioned. You will note two screws, one top and one bottom, holding the window track in place. I would suggest starting with the bottom screw and try adding washers to this screw to move the track out. 4-5 washers should work for the MMC650 and you may not need to add any more. 10 washers is about the max without finding a new, longer bolt at the hardware store.

The other problem you will have is that the diameter of the speaker may not fit the stock Tundra speaker bracket. You can either buy a bracket or use MDF to fabricate a bracket to adapt the MMC650 to the Tundra bracket. You cannot use an adapter with much width here since moving the speaker out tends to cause it to hit the door panel. Some have removed very small amounts of plastic from the panel but this does not gain much space.

If you are not already aware of it I would suggest going over to www.tundrasolutions.com. There are both many posts on the above subject and several guides on mods such as this on that site. The only catch is you may have to be a member now to get to the forums.

Kevin
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    edited April 2006
    Bshissias, I've been thinking about replacing my 02 Tundra Excess Cab stock system. Could you provide some pics of your install? Thanks in advance.

Footwedge
  • KevinLWhitaker
    KevinLWhitaker Posts: 47
    edited May 2006
    Bshissias,
    How does the Q logic sub box sound? Did you (or have you heard) any other sub options for the Tundra such as the JL Audio box in the console? Finally, do you leave the seat up or down over the subs?
    Thanks
    Kevin