RT800i's or RTi100's?

Options
OrangeToupee
OrangeToupee Posts: 488
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
About 7 days left to upgrade if I am to upgrade; would you do it, have you heard them? Was at Circuit City today, they wouldn't go for the 800i for i70 swap, the new ones are less expensive than the old ones. I listened to them both (800i and i100, that is) for a while, it's just so hard to figure out sometimes in those damned rooms with all of that equipment in the way, and the store has a general buzz to it that's disruptive. Either I keep the 800i's for good, or I would be willing to listen to someone's educated opinion of the new line and it's powered tower/new tweeter configuration. I wish I had another month or two to listen to the reviews or maybe even take them home to get a better idea. Please, God, someone help me!!
Post edited by OrangeToupee on

Comments

• johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I haven't heard the i100s yet, but they seem to be the successor to the 1000is (with lower sub freq). Are/were you happy with the 800is? Do you have a stand alone sub? I ended up trading in the 1000is for 800is because I wanted more mids with better seperation than the 1000s could offer, and because if I wanted a real subwoofer I would get one (one that could handle more than the 35W unit in the 1000is or i100s). I'm much happier with the fuller 800s now. So, just my opinion, but I would get the 70s if I could swing it.

Are you sure you can't swing the trade for the 70s? You could try picking up a pair 25s or 35s with it and say you're upgrading for a 7 channel system or something, so the total cost would be more actually. Then you could sell or return the pair. I'm sure you can swing something!

I know how you feel about CC's listening 'rooms'. They suck. Plain and simple. :)
  • OrangeToupee
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Thanks, johnny, I tend to agree with you on powered towers, I prefer a "real" sub to support my speakers. I was curious to hear if anyone had heard the i100's to see if perhaps it was just a better speaker than last years rt line, in which case I would likely take a chance on them. I'd like to be able to swing the i70's along with a pair of open box 35i's, I think maybe that's the way to go if I can make it happen. I'll take all of the 35i's that I can get, I really enjoy them coupled with a speaker level connected sub.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Regarding circuit city trading...
    I've got a pair of FX500i's that are about to 1-year expire at circuit city. I listen to DVD-A and I was thinking about upgrading to the RT800i for an extra $100. What other Polk speakers should I be considering at CC for primary surrounds.
    I wasn't aware that CC has the new polks available - do they?
    My equipment is a Denon3801 with SDA 3.1TL's as mains (external amp) and a CS400i as the center, PSW650 Sub. PLEASE ADVISE ASAP. Thanks.

My FX500i's will trade in for $500 credit. I don't want to lay out much cash on a speaker trade-up. HELP !
  • johnnyamerika
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I think myself and alot of others would suggest holding onto those FX500is as primary surrounds unless you're really not happy with them. I'm sure you could always sell them down the road too, as alot of people will always be looking for them. If you wanted to go direct, as oppossed to bi/dipole, then you may want to pick up some new lsi7 or 9's. There is also a new LsiFX model if you want to upgrade but keep the bi/di speaker setup. Not all the stores have these yet, but pretty soon I think they will.
  • rskarvan
    edited March 2002
    Options
    JohnnyUSA,

The FX500 is a pretty good speaker - really.
    I don't think it is worth $500/pair though.
    But, the RT800i is probably worth $600/pair - me thinks.
    So, for $100 cash... I could upgrade.
    CC doesn't carry LSi. I wonder if they carry (today) the new Polk speakers like the RTi100's? Does anybody know. I checked CC website and they aren't listed.

Also, the FX500 is a 125W speaker. My CS400 is 250W and my 3.1TL's are 500W. So, I really don't think I'm matched up very well for DVD-A. Also, I'm not completely sold on the di-pole idea. Maybe with two opposed drivers... they would be better. The FX1000 is too expensive. The real question is what speakers are available NOW from CC that would be better than the FX500?
    I'd really like to hear explosions (U571) from full size surround speakers. I may move my Monitor 10's to surround duty and use the RT800i's (or, something equivalent and newer) as stereo speakers. Ideas for CC tradeup? What are the good deals availalbe now? Thanks.
  • johnnyamerika
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I know what you mean, I use JBL moniters as surrounds for that full range explosion feel. ;) Nothing like a nice big 12" woofer right by your ears! I haven't heard them, but the i70's look nice.
  • OrangeToupee
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Not sure about your Circuit City, but mine has the new RTi line in, I would think that even if they didn't have them in that you could order them. In my opinion, if you can't use the 500i's to their best effect (at your sides and mounted above listening level) than go on ahead and make the swap for a more useful speaker. I've decided to keep my FX/500i's just in case I can eventually get the proper sized room to make them work. In fact, I may just keep the 800i's as well, I like their sound when matched with a proper sub. I still want to bag another pair of 35i's, too. I can't seem to get enough of them. Oh, yeah, and a HSU sub and a tube amp or two. I need about $20,000 to get some things done around here!
  • PCFrailey
    PCFrailey Posts: 1
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Last night I was at CC to discuss upgrading mhy CS400i for the LS40 which isn't in the store yet. My trade-in deadline in 4/3, si I thought I was SOL. The store manager told me that since he was anticipating delivery of the new Polk line in mid April, he would still grant me the upgrade (of course I got his name and a little note to that effect). You may try talking with the store management to see what they will do for you.
  • rskarvan
    edited March 2002
    Options
    PCFrailey,

Would you please confirm to us that Polk will distribute the LSi line thru Circuit City. Thanks.
    Previously, I was lead to believe that the LS series would ONLY be distributed through special Polk retailers - i.e. Not CC.
  • OrangeToupee
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Was it perhaps the CSi40 that you're attempting to upgrade to? The new center?
  • hamzahsh
    hamzahsh Posts: 439
    edited March 2002
    Options
    RT800i's would beat RTi100's anytime with their dual drivers.

If you're looking for a true tower speakers go for RT800i's or even the new RTi70's. Get an external subwoofer and your're done!
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)
  • pdebaum
    pdebaum Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Not meaning any disrespect, but it's a little simplistic to say that RT800i is better than RT1000i (or the new RT100i) just because the former has dual mid-range drivers and the latter has a single driver. If the crossovers were identical and the speaker's designs identical as well, then maybe you'll have a no contest case. But those speakers are radically different, one being a full-range powered tower, the other full-range speaker. As you pointed out, if you go RT800i, you absolutely need a subwoofer to hit low bass. With RT1000i or above, the need for a subwoofer is less, depending on taste.
    Speaking of taste, I auditioned a few months ago most of the RTi line with RT600i, RT800i, RT1000i and RT2000i in a single test and I personally prefered the RT1000i over the RT800i. Granted, there was no standalone subwoofer and I was focusing on some choice classical music. All situations are different and we all have different tastes ;)
  • hamzahsh
    hamzahsh Posts: 439
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Good we all have different taste. Let's see how many members will say RT800i is a better speaker than RT1000i.
    Panasonic TH-50PX80U Plasma HDTV
    Polk Audio RT800i (fronts)
    Polk Audio CS400i (center)
    Polk Audio F/X1000 (side surrounds)
    Polk Audio RTi6 (back surrrounds)
    Velodyne CHT-15 (subwoofer)
    Yamaha RX-V1400 (Pre/Pro)
    NAD C272 (2-ch Amp)
    Adcom GFA-7605 (5-ch Amp)
    Toshiba SD-3109 (DVD/CD player)
    Malata DVP-580 (Multi-region DVD player)
  • Integra
    Integra Posts: 14
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Lose the dipoles. They were meant for prologic. With the discrete channels we now have for hometheater, you want direct radiators to place the surround effects exactly where the recording engineers intended them to be. You mentioned you listen to dvd-audio. Dipoles are a disaster when it comes to music!:mad:
  • pdebaum
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I doubt not that most people on this board will say the RT800i is a better speaker than the RT100i, 1000i or even 2000i, since I'm sure all of them will have a separate good subwoofer coupled with it. After all the RT800i is truly a real nice speaker that begs for a good subwoofer. The powered RT1000i and its ilk is in a complete different ballgame, aimed at people who can pass on the subwoofer. Demo a standalone RT1000i against a standalone RT800i without any standalone sub next to each other and see how they now fare. I did and noticed a substantial difference in favor of the RT1000i, at least with the demo music I brought for the demo. It might have only one driver for the mid-range but that didn't seem to impede its response at all compared to the RT800i. Actually I demoed the RTi range from 600i, 800i, 1000i to 2000i in the same test conditions, and the Polk numbering has indeed some merit as I found the sound quality progressing in par with the Polk numbering scheme.
    Anyway, I was only reacting to your post because of the broad generalization than 2 drivers are better than one. Not necessarily true, especially in this case with 2 very different type of speakers (crossover, enclosure, powered amp).
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I don't mean to defend speakers or bash someone else's but, I've found more than a few people that favor the 800i to the 1000i (demoing at the store); on more than one occasion.

Now this was demoing music - mostly rock, folk and pop. But side by side the 800i won out to my ears.

I can completely understand someone that would favor the 1000i, especially if they craved the deeper tones.

I did enjoy the 2000i, but then we were talking a jump in $$$, and it wasn't until I heard the 3000 setup that I felt that a "quantum" leap was made.

By the way, the 55i was close competition to the 800i in my book. However, the size of the 800i appealed to me.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2002
    Options
    when i purchased th 800's i did a side by side with the 1000's and felt that the 1000's were a bit muddy compared to the 800's but then those were my ears, before i went and listened to both speakers i was leaning towards the 1000's because i had wanted powered towers but when i listened i came home with the 800's
    i think they are both good speakers and if i could have afforded the 2000's or 3000's i would have went that way
    my pennies worth:)
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I have the 1000's and like them, but when I demoed the 800's and the 1000's it did like the sound of the 800's better. I was told by higher powers (the wife) that she did not want a sub. So I got the 1000's. I had them for about 1 year until I set them up with Video Essentials and the sound out of these speakers is great. I had the bass turned up too high and it was making the speakers sound muddy. I have since gone to a local store and listened to the new i100's. The first thing I noticed was the bass turned up too high, I turned it down and the sound was much smoother. I have not had the chance to compare the 800's and 1000's together after setting the bass correctly, but I think it would be something worth trying. This is only my opinion.:)

Greg
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The first thing I noticed was the bass turned up too high, I turned it down and the sound was much smoother.

This is a good point. It wasn't until my 2nd demo that I had the chance to properly compare the 800i and 1000i. At first the 1000i had the bass turned all the way up, and sounded very muddy; there was no contest then. Later, when I adjusted the 1000i properly, it was a much closer contest. In fact, it could have been the acoustics of the demo room that made me choose the 800i over the 1000i. In any event, I'm glad I did.
  • pdebaum
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I hear you all. I also chose a powered tower because my wife and I didn't want a subwoofer in our already much cramped HT space. Ans I also had the exact same "bass volume too high" issue on my RT2000i. I don't know it it's specific to the RT2000i, but the default 12 o'clock position for the volume dial is way too high assuming a proper bass management. Mine have to be set to 9 1/2 o'clock according to my sub SPL tests. Sounded ok to my ears at first at 12 o'clock but the sound became boomy with some material. I guess my listening wasn't sophisticated enough, and like most people I yearned for some deep bass. Anyway, they now sound great and with excellent tight bass. I much prefer it that way now; it makes me cringe now when I happen to wander near another system which has its bass boosted :)
  • rskarvan
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Integra...

Thanks dude. I took your advice at Circuit City.
    I traded my FX500i and with $105 extra (including tax)... I walked away with new-in-box RT800i's. I set them up as my surround speakers and I am VERY impressed.

I didn't really know what I was missing using the FX500i's.
    The sound is deeper/fuller/better. I listened to my Steeley Dan DVD-A and WOW ! ! ! Real sounds coming from full-size DIRECT radiators in the back channel make all the difference.

Also, the appearance/looks of the RT800's is substantially better than the FX500i's. Now, I have these pretty black wood-graine monoliths sitting in the rear of the room vs. an ugly triangular vinyl clad speaker.

I power the system rears with a Denon 3801. I've set the RT800i's to small as my PSW650 can handle the load quite well.
    Anyway, again, I am very impressed with the RT800i's. Nice sounding pretty speaker. Much better.

I agree with Integra.... di-poles don't cut it with music - at all.
    You really do need a full size rear channel if you want to enjoy DVD-A music all around you.
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Agreed. Directs all around for dvd audio but if you can't afford full range speakers you can still get bookshelves. The industry is already working on bass management and time delays in new generation dvd-a players and receivers for any speaker setup.
    I couldn't part with the my fx500i's so I got another pair of rt800i's. Best of both worlds ! :)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • rskarvan
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Begbie...
    Now thats a comment I could perhaps agree with - best of both worlds. You sound like a guy that isn't willing to compromise.
    Forgive me for saying this... but, I think Polk's idea of having a driver and tweeter on one side of the triangle and a tweeter ONLY on the other side is really pretty lame. I don't think any other speaker mfg. does this. But, it seems that if you want to truly diffuse the sound.... you need to diffuse more than just the high frequencies. Also, I think the FX500i is a little on the pricey side for what it is. Come on... they cost more than the RT55i's. Thats really a price disparity on Polk's part. Grrrr