12" Free Air System

carloduplessis
carloduplessis Posts: 4
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie and would like to jack my sound a bit up (just a tad). I have bought a Panasonic 12" Free Air sub and cannot find any "bright" ideas on the net on how to install this into my car.

This is what I have
standard 4 speakers in the car
1000W amp
Tweeters
SubWoofer.

Any suggestions on how this needs to be mounted to get this car not to sound like a kiddies party sound system?

Ciao
C
Post edited by carloduplessis on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    yeah, so the two redundant threads can be safely ignored...

in any case, to run a "free-air" sub, you need to install it in the rear deck and then completely seal the trunk off from the cabin - an unlikely proposition. i would say you put it in a largish sealed box and call it a day; i think that otherwise, you'll get unsatisfactory results at best, and a dead sub at worst (1000W freeair is WAY too much, unless of course that 1000W is a peak value, which is worthless).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    thwppt... deleted...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited April 2005
    Google "infinite baffle". All of the car audio related hits will show you what you want to see. Generally you build a wall behind your rear seats with the subs facing forward or have the subs facing up and attached to the rear deck.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk