Few questions regarding installation of new HU

glemay
glemay Posts: 574
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well, I finally got my new HU for my boat. It's a Pioneer DEH-P4700MP. When installing it, I read that you run the ground wire to a metal part of the car or in my case boat. But why couldn't I just run the ground wire or negative to the negative terminal on my battery?

Thanks

Gerald
Main System:
Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
Post edited by glemay on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    You can. I think the point is that it's easier to just find some bare metal close to your HU and use that as a ground. That's what I think, at least. Someone else'll let me know soon enough if I'm wrong.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    nope, that's it, the chassis of the car is set up as a convienent ground, and i'll assume boats are set up the same way. it's probably better to go straight to the battery.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • glemay
    edited April 2005
    Thanks guys. Now what about the ACC. wire, were do I put that, I have no ACC switch on my ignition? Could I run it to a regular toggle switch or can I just forget about it?

Thanks

Gerald
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    forgetting about it would be a bad idea. you can run a toggle switch if you like, but do you not have a key of any sort on the boat? if you do, you can splice into the appropriate wire and run that to the HU. if not, i guess the toggle is your only option.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2005
    So you don't have a keyed switch on your boat? If you do it should be: off...ignition...start. Right?
  • glemay
    edited April 2005
    Josh,

Sorry, I wasn't thinking, yeah I got the ignition switch that you are talking about but no ACC switch. But if I run the wire to the ignition the radio will only work if the ignition is on right?

Thanks

Gerald
    Main System:

Second System:
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    yep. +12V still goes to battery, ACC lead goes to ignition's 'on' position.

• glemay
    edited April 2005
    neomagus00,

So what can I do if I want to run the radio without the ignition on? What would happen if I ran the ACC wire to the battery?

Thanks
    Main System:

Second System:
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    if you ran the acc wire to the battery, the HU would never turn off. if you run the lead to the key, though, there should be a point where the boat's electronics are on but the engine is not; if such a point exists, you can wire the acc lead to the proper ignition wire. if such a point does not exist, i.e. when the electronics are on, the engine's on, then you'll have to run the acc lead to the battery and put a switch on it. make sure you don't switch the +12V lead, else you'll lose all your settings.