strange behaviour from AudioQuest Copperhead

Options
2+2
2+2 Posts: 546
edited May 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I recently got some AQ Copperheads from this board....skinny little things...look and feel prettty fragile....

In trying them out, I noticed something strange. When hooked up between the preamp and the amp, there is a buzzzzz...fairly loud...can be heard 5 feet away. When connected between the source and the preamp, there is no noise. What is going on?

I know it is the wire cuz if I use my stock KnuKonceptz wire between the pre and the amp, everything is quiet....Is it the lack of much shielding on the AQs? My Knus are about 3X thicker than the AQs...

Your thoughts?
System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
Post edited by 2+2 on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Is it the same cable producing the buzz? I can refund you bud if there is a problem, I also have an extra 1mtr copperhead I can send to you.

Sorry about the inconvenience, they were working fine in my system. Copperheads are shielded but can be delicate, as any solid copper wire can be. Try unscrewing the shell and make sure that the "shield" connection on each end is still in place.

Let me know, I'll send you a replacement.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I sold BlueMDPicker a PS Audio amp, and his aq's did the same thing. Switch to another interconnect, it was fine. Switch amps, the AQ worked fine.

Some kind of grounding issue with the amp design, that we couldn't pin down.

Are the Copperheads directional?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Yes. Arrows on the headshells.

2+2, if it's the IC, send me your address, I'll get a refund out to you ASAP. Sorry about that.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • 2+2
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the responses....well I did a bit more experimenting late last night and found 2 things...

1. The AQ interconnect does this buzzing on my HK amp really loudly (as in you can hear the buzz in the other room!) but NOT on the Rotel. It sounds just like when you have a guitar amp on with volume loud, one end of the cord plugged in, and the other end, you grab it with your finger.... if you know what I mean.

2. One of the plugs on the black plug wire can cause buzzing (much quieter than #1) if the rest of the wire is positioned in one orientation, and not cause buzzing in another position.

So, I think Russman is right as to problem #1 and Steve is right wrt #2 for the black cable.

Steve, you probably didnt experience #2 as it is position dependent. There is an AQ dealer near by me so let me see if they can do anything for me. It is the 1 m length cable. I will let you know if they cant and we can work something out.

Thanks
    Daniel
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

• steveinaz
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Ok, let me know I have an extra 1mtr Copperhead. Sounds like the shielding connection is broken; when you move the cable around, it's touching the wire back on the sleeve.

You've got to handle solid core wire with care and make sure you're grabbing the connector when plugging/unplugging. I had anothe Copperhead do the same thing, which is why I have 1 extra cable. Handle them like you would fiber optic.

I can also just send you the money to order a new set from Audio Advisor.

Sorry again bud. I'll make it right.
  • 2+2
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks Steve....if the dealer near by me wont repair it under warranty (I couldnt find warranty info on AQ website), you can just send me the extra one as I can use it with the Rotel system or with the sources. I will let you know. I appreciate you wanting to make it right...great seller.

Yea, I was very suprised to see how fragile these things looked when I opened the box...so I was very careful in connecting/disconnecting etc. I will swing by the dealer this weekend and see what they say.

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Which model knu's are you replacing? Are they the silver plated copper model with locking RCA's by chance?
  • 2+2
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Hey PT, I have 3 sets of the Knu silver coated cables. They have great build quality great detail etc. but like all silver coated cables (from what I hear), they can be a bit sibilant. I am trying to tone that down a bit...so far, the combo of source->AQ->preamp->Knu silver-> amp appears to sound the best. Using AQ all around, I found to attenuate the bass extension too much.
    I also have silver coated speaker cable which I am going to try plain old copper with.

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Your local dealer won't fix it but he should be willing to send it to AudioQuest for you...mine did and he didn't even sell the cable. AudioQuest fixed the exact same issue on mine for free....no questions asked. If your local dealer won't help....contact AudioQuest directly.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I sold BlueMDPicker a PS Audio amp, and his aq's did the same thing. Switch to another interconnect, it was fine. Switch amps, the AQ worked fine.

Some kind of grounding issue with the amp design, that we couldn't pin down.

As Russ states, the issue I experienced had much to do with the design of the PS Audio amp's power supply transformer, rather than it being the ICs "fault" per se. In combination with another Copperhead or a Diamondback, there were instant pyrotechnics (amp fuses blown, speakers turned to tug boat horn at close range.) The same combo works fine with any other amp/preamp combo I've tried.

I'm inclined to speculate here that you'll have the same issue with the other pair Steve is sending. Some gear is just "oil and water" -- it doesn't mix. Most likely, AQ is aware of the incompatibility issues, although I've never done a search of their web site to check.

Good luck!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I was just checking to see if you were getting rid of any, I like them based on their build quality and looks. They have a lot of the "technology" of much more expensive cables.
  • 2+2
    edited April 2005
    Options
    BlueMD, yea..incompatibility is right. I am sure any replacement or repair is not going to address #1...so I will just not use the AQs with the HK....I just want to address #2. I will say that of the copper wires I have tried, Copperheads do sound the best in terms of clarity....

PT, no I will be hanging on to my Knus.....they are a great value in my opinion for silvers....build is great....diameter is thicker than the standard power cords for amps!!

• steveinaz
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Daniel,
    Your replacement set shipped today. You should have them Monday, latest.

Sorry for the inconvenience bud.
  • 2+2
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks Steve...you truely are a great seller....
    Daniel

• W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited May 2005
    Options
    i had two sets of audioquest copperheads in my last system. one between a rotel rb1080 amplifier and rc1090 preamp and the other between a denon hdcd player and the preamp.between the amp and pre first the left side started with a loud humming and i replaced that set with monster ref 2 ic cable and several weeks later the right side started humming between the hdcd player and the preamp. and i replaced them also. some will argue that audioquest would repair or replace them but i personaly dont need the drama! i have since moved on to better amplification and cables. i use groneberg quattro reference i.c and speaker cables now and will never look back! p.s the fact that they played fine in my system for many months would point to poor build quality instead of compatability issues. but that is just from my point of view.
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited May 2005
    Options
    My set is doing the same thing (AQ - Copperhead) when hooked between my 3960 and AVR (pre-amp). I think it is just one cable that is doing it. If I wiggle it around just right it stops. I was just going to chalk it up to incompatable systems or a broken cable but I will do some more testing and report back.

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2005
    Options
    You have to accept as a fact that AQ Sidewinder and Copperhead must be handled gently. The Diamondback doesn't seem to suffer from this nearly as much because of the welded connections, rather than soldered.

Solid core copper does not like to be bent alot. Handle them the same way you would glass F.O.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    You have to accept as a fact that AQ Sidewinder and Copperhead must be handled gently. The Diamondback doesn't seem to suffer from this nearly as much because of the welded connections, rather than soldered.

Solid core copper does not like to be bent alot. Handle them the same way you would glass F.O.
    I was unaware of their fragile nature. While I do not think they were abused, I did not treat them the way I would Fiber Optic cable.

Once issues arise, can they be repaired or should they just be pitched?

I am sure the problem was caused on my end. So no worries there - Just wondering if it is to late or can I do anything about it.

Thanks,

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2005
    Options
    They can be repaired. You can send them to AQ.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I find it interesting how in our little forum alone at least 6 pairs of AQ interconnects have been found defective over the past year or so. I haven't heard an AQ cable yet that made me put it in the goody box.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    edited May 2005
    Options
    I never had one fail me in 4yrs, until someone had to go and say something about them failing.....:mad:

:D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2005
    Options
    LOL
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    I find it interesting how in our little forum alone at least 6 pairs of AQ interconnects have been found defective over the past year or so.
    Make that 7 pairs.