Looking for a good single sub setup

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have asked this question here before, but some of the recommendations I had received are out of production.

So basically I am looking for a single 12 inch sub to add some bass to the system. Not rap bass but sq bass. I was directed to look into Image Dynamics subs, so I am leaning towards them. But I am open for other suggestions.

What I am confused about (and probably always will be) is what type of amp to get with the sub I would like to run.

Also I need to know what wiring I need to get to run the sub/amp.

Thanks for the future input guys.

If I left anything out please feel free to ask.
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    for a single sub id go with a 2 channel amp and bridge it. but were going to need to know the budget
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    sticking with the image dynamics reccommendation, i say the idq v2 (specifically the D4 model) is a good choice. i'd also disagree with cody, and vote for a class d amp, such as this one (pretty well-matched), or this slightly too-powerful one (currently heavily discounted). for sq, a sealed box is absolutely the way to go. you can get an all-in-one wiring package such as this one, which provides everything you need (as long as you don't have any other amps; you'll need a different kit if you have more than this amp).

this is a very nice setup on a pretty decent budget.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    who go with a class d when you can get a 2 channel for cheaper and itll sound better...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2005
    Polk makes some very good SQ subwoofers, so you shouldn't just pass them up without checking them out. Also, check out www.ascendantaudio.com. Look at their Atlas 12. I got one not long ago, and couldn't be more pleased. Lot of guys have them on the soundillusions.net forum.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am looking in the price range of 500-600 dollars.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    The difference between 2 channel amps and a mono or Class D amp is that Class D amps are usually more effecient which means you get less heat and can get more power out of a smaller amp. This is good for installation purposes. the downside is a Class D amp usually costs more than an equally powerful stereo (Class A/B) amp.

As far as which brands of amps, first decide on your sub then pick one that best matches your budget and power requirements and pick a good name brand like MTX, Kicker, JL Audio and the like and youll be set.

As for which brand of sub, there are several good SQ subs out there. One of my personal favorites is the . JL Audio 12W6v2. These are awesome but may be out of your price range at $400+.

The new Diamond Audio D6 series is also a very sweet sounding sub and comes in in the mid $200's.

The aforementioned Image Dynamics is excellent as well.

And of course the good old Polk Audio MM2124 simply cant be beat dollar for dollar.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2005
    I would recommend a subwoofer from Soundsplinter (www.soundsplinter.com). I have been running one of their 10" subs(RL-i10) for a little while now, and I am very happy with it. I have about 360 watts RMS going to it. I believe you get great performance for a low price. The subwoofer I have has a good amount of linear excursion, 20mm, not the only spec to look at, but still pretty impressive. I would look at either their RL-i12, or their RL-p12. I plan on getting an RL-p12 a little later, either for my wife's car or mine, the decision will be up to her.

I previously had a Kicker S12L7 paired with a Kicker KX600.1, but I wanted something geared more towards SQ.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    all excellent ideas, i guess there's no real way to decide without going out and listening to a bunch of stuff, deciding what you like, and getting a sub that does that.

the discounted amp i mentioned above is only $25 more than this less-powerful 2-channel. with the deals available on cardomain.com on mtx amps, they're absolutely worth looking into.

and is class ab really going to sound worse for a sub??
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    Agreed youre not going to be able to beat those MTX amps at these prices.

500 watts from a class A/B amp will make a sub sound identical to a sub getting 500 watts from a class D amp.

The differences are in the size of the amp and the cost.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    Agreed youre not going to be able to beat those MTX amps at these prices.

500 watts from a class A/B amp will make a sub sound identical to a sub getting 500 watts from a class D amp.

The differences are in the size of the amp and the cost.

• mrmsudawgs
    mrmsudawgs Posts: 34
    edited April 2005
    Have a look at mine here