??? What happend to my sub

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I had a Alpine-m350 installed (350 x 1 at 2ohms RMS) and my sub was a dual-voice coil 10" Infinity Kappa 100.3dvc (50-275w RMS, 1100 Peak). I had this sub in a sub-zero box (vented 1.2 ft3....elv series).

The first time I played it .....it RIPPED one of the wires from the voice coil to the post, right of at the post.

So, I solder it up and away I went...only to blow off a different wire, this time off of the negitive post. (The speaker is wired parrell and it ripped the positive off of one voice coil, and the negitive off of the other. These are both the posts that come directly from the amp)

And now after a second solder, the speaker worked for a minute or so and then quit. This time I think I ripped of one of the wires INSIDE the voice coil....

HELP, what happend? Is this to much power for this sub? Is the box improper? (it fits manufactuer's specs)
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    over-excursion immediately comes to mind. are you using a subsonic filter at the box's tuning frequency?

and actually, that box is slightly too large, but that doesn't affect this to any great degree. in any case, that sub is rated to 275 and you're probably pushing it with close to 400. that would be a yes for too much power. this has a link to a walkthrough that will guide you in setting your gains so that this doesn't happen again, if and when you get the sub repaired/replaced. and make very sure you have a subsonic filter on there.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Yup, that V12 will put out 400 easy and if that sub is rated to handle 275 then youre giving it too much.

But there is always the possibility it could be a lemon sub.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D