Quick question about speaker cables

Options
candyliquor35m
candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
edited April 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I bought a pair of monster cable speaker cables MK series. The horseshoe (wrong name I'm sure) shaped connectors won't fit down into the collar of my connections on my carver amp. Do I put the cable connectors on top of the collars on the amp and screw the caps on tight? Pardon my french.
Post edited by candyliquor35m on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Yup.. The "spades" are made to be screwed down tight under the lugs on the amp's speaker terminals. Many are now oversized and the terminals on Carver amps are kinda close together (and have a collar), so be careful that two or more of the spades don't end up touching.

If you'd bought banana plugs, you'd push them into the hole in the end of the terminals.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Nope they're not gonna work unless I file them down to fit into the collars. I can't get them screwed on tight enough because the cable is so heavy. They came with the 14k connectors to fit Polk speakers. I hope $150 wasn't too much for them.
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    You don't want to cut the spades...

Some folks cut/ grind the collars off like this guy selling a pair of M-1.0t's on ebay.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Not sure if it applies here but on some applications I ended up putting one side of the "horseshoe" through the hole and letting the other side be free in the air.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    max,
    Old Carver's posts are so close together, that'd make me nervous. Especially with the layout on the 1.0. Other Carvers, like the 1.5t's, posts are laid out a bit differently.

cl35m,
    Before you go to cutting/ grinding, be sure that you can even use oversized spades without them touching each other. If you can't, you're looking at a return/ swap for some banana's.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    Not sure if it applies here but on some applications I ended up putting one side of the "horseshoe" through the hole and letting the other side be free in the air.
    madmax

This method is considered a "leaner", you get three bonus points!:D

RT1

CL--I would get some banana's for your cables who's name I shall not speak.
  • candyliquor35m
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Are adapters available to convert what I have ("horseshoes") to banana plugs?
  • Tour2ma
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Not seen any, but likely they exist. But why add another link in the chain?

Some wiring has interchangable ends... unscrew the spades, screw on a banana. If yours don't do this, I'd exchange them.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli