NAD C320BEE vs Cambridge Audio Azur 540A

Options
khanhhuynh4u
khanhhuynh4u Posts: 40
edited April 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
would you choose the NAD C320BEE or the Cambridge Audio Azur 540A??

which one is more musical?
which one will work better with Epos ELS 3?
Post edited by khanhhuynh4u on

Comments

• khanhhuynh4u
    edited April 2005
    Options
    sorry i posted in the wrong section
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I would pick up whatever is cheaper....it's a win win situation. I don't think either is better than the other.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2005
    Options
    +1 on Doro's comments.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • sansui80
    sansui80 Posts: 17
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The azur 640c is the best bang for the buck. You should be able to get one used for under 350.00. Make sure and invest in a good aftermarket power cable . I use Van Den Hul.

This player shines in the mids and highs. Great imaging and depth.

ben
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by sansui80
    The azur 640c is the best bang for the buck.
    It's going to be hard to drive those Epos ELS 3's with that CDP. I owned a NAD C320Bee INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER for a while before I stepped up to a NAD C160/C270 pre/amp combo. It was a great little integrated and I would highly recommend it. I can't speak for the CA 540A integrated but I own a CA CDP and it is a good piece of gear.

Ben (sansui80) - BTW...Welcome to the forum.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • sansui80
    sansui80 Posts: 17
    edited April 2005
    Options
    You are most certianly right. The origional thread was dicussing the 540A (Cambridge). The only hope with that integrated amp is to run something as efficent as Klipsch or other speakers in the mid 90's or up.

I will be more carful to completly read the question. I stll have had good results with cambridge audio 640c CD Player.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2005
    Options
    As I said, I don't know much about the CA but the 320BEE will easily push a 4 ohm speaker or one with efficiency ratings down in the mid 80s.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I've run my 640A on SDA1C's with no issues.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I've got a 540a used it on the monitor 10's never had a problem and sounded damn fine with about any music you fed it.
    It's going in the bedroom system as soon as I find the right mini monitors or book shelfs (and i've been leaning towards the Epos myself)
    Decently built and solid ,but personallydon't like the volume knob(plastic and light weight IMO,that's my only complaint) I've got a friend at a machine shop andhave plans to get a replacement made out of aluminum stock.

Dave
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,391
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Audioadvisor has a "demo" 640A in silver for $399, around the same price as the NAD. Any of the choices would be good.

640A

Ideally, the Epos ELS3 would be matched up with a Creek integrated amp because Mike Creek voices his new Epos speakers with his gear, but that costs considerably more. I ran my pair with a 350 watt/channel (4 ohm) amp with no problems.
  • khanhhuynh4u
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Audio Concept (http://www.audioconceptsonline.com/demo%20used.htm) in Dallas has a NAD C350 integrated amp USED for $250...they also got a NAD C521 CD player USED for 125 also

what do you guys think about that? good price?

good amp? good combo with the cdp?

better than the C320BEE?

if no i think ill go with a the epos and the used azur 640A both at Audio Advisor
  • khanhhuynh4u
    edited April 2005
    Options
    another stupid question....the review saids

"a basic integrated amplifier which has everything you really need and, given a good quality source and loudspeakers well matched to your listening room,"

what does it mean by "given a good quality source"?? does that means cd players and cables? or power cord and stuff? sorry im new to these terms
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,897
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The source would be the CD player, turntable, DVD player, tuner .... whatever generateth thy music.

The 50wpc (even as highly under-rated as the NAD is ) would be great for a small room and highly efficient speakers combined with a good source.
    I found the NAD C320BEE, while sounding great, was not quite enough for my Paradigm Studio 40's even given their fairly efficient 92dB sensitivity....mainly in the lower bass. Something like the Klipsch, at around 96-97dB, that was mentioned earlier would be better. The NAD is an awesome little integrated though, matched with the correct components!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I'm running my EPOS ELS-3 with a Marantz 2270 receiver and they sound pretty sweet. I'm not sure what the db rating is, but they don't seem too power hungry. Tonight I swapped in a Yamaha CR820 receiver, that is around 45w per channel, and they sounded good and didn't seem to be wanting for power. I also hooked them up to my Yamaha AX900U integrated which is around 200w per channel at 4 ohms, and other than the sound being a lot warmer, which is typical of the Yamaha Natural Sound equipment, it didn't seem to make a huge improvement. I'm considering the CA Azure 540A to power these once I get the bedroom system all put together. Just having trouble justifying the expense because I just picked up a Parasound P/HP-850 and HCA-1000A combination in just out of the boxes shape, with all boxes and manuals for less than what the preamp usually goes for. It's a little much for the EPOS, but might have to do for now.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • khanhhuynh4u
    edited April 2005
    Options
    ok heres what i got

NAD C3200BEE int. amp $400
    Epos ELS 3 speaker $300
    NAD C521BEE CDP $300

thats $1000 which is my limit for now but probaly going to upgrade interconnects and speakers wires soon...i have'nt have any help on cables yet so can someone give me good cables to go with these? around $150 or $200 should be enough...

also should i not get the NAD cdp and get a SACD player instead? i have'nt heard them yet but how much better is the quality of the SACD?

lastly i want to thanks everyone for their comments because you guys gave some good tips...going to start shopping for these tomorrow so cant wait till its all done...good night to all
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2005
    Options
    You can get the C320BEE for between $250-$300 and the NAD C521 for way under $200. If you want to spend up to $300 for the CDP you can find the C541i and get HDCD for between $250-$300 or the C541 for around $175-$200. I'd keep an eye on Audiogon for the best prices. Ebay'ers pay too damn much. Last week a used C541i went for $365! Made me want to sell mine! :rolleyes: Saturday Audio closed out hundreds at $299 just 6 months ago.

BTW, here's a NAD C320BEE on Audiogon right now for $250.
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1118265619

and here's a demo pair of the Epos in cherry for $249 shipped if you're in the US 48. Not the most efficient speakers in the world though.
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1117830560
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I own the NAD C352 integrated... its a little more powerful (80W continous into 8 or 4 ohms) but even with my 89 db sensitivity 4 ohm power gobbling speakers (lsi 7's) it has absolutly no problems powering them. I bought it new and have owned it for about 6 months. So far it has been nothing but good for me. I thought about the 320bee but decided to spend the extra 200 or something and get the 352.
  • khanhhuynh4u
    edited April 2005
    Options
    thanks dragon for the info,

i have'nt buy anything from audiogon yet but i like the prices of the two thing you showed me but should i buy it? like i dont mind used stuff but is this site trust worthy? would you buy it yourself? give me some info on how this site is please thank you
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Audiogon is probably the best used audio site around. They use feedback ratings so just check the feedback of the seller. I've bought from there many times.
    Also, if you had $400 to spend on the integrated you can get the NAD C352 like michael_w has at Audiogon for $409 brand new (plus shipping of course)
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I can recommend the EPOS ELS-3 for $249 ad on audiogon. That is the seller I bought mine from. Very good service and quick shipping. He seems to be getting started in the business, and I will buy from him again. I wish I had somewhere to go listen to the rest of the EPOS speaker line. I love the tonal qualities of the little monitors, and if that held true in the rest of the line, I would be interested. NAD amplifiers are great. I can't hear much difference between them and the Cambridge Audio. I stopped at the local audio dealer in Hoffman Estates, which is Simply Stereo, and was able to demo a used NAD and the CA. I would buy what you can get the best deal on.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2005
    Options
    You should be fine with either one. I have NAD seperates and love the sound. NAD is very powerful on bass and always have plenty of headroom. Presentation will be the laid back "British" sound.

Maurice
  • khanhhuynh4u
    edited April 2005
    Options
    This is one nice guy!!! heres what he send me when i got the Epos from Audiogon

"Got it. Thx! They will ship Monday morning and you will have a tracking number
    by the afternoon. I actually sold the demos and am giving you a new pair at the
    same price. So you got a great deal. Also, let me know if you need anything
    else such as matching stands or subwoofer."

so i actually paid $250 for a brand new pair....now off to buying a NAD
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2005
    Options
    damn nice deal, congrats
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The "demo sold" comment is an retail industry joke, but I'm pretty sure you'll get hooked up.
  • Emlyn
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by khanhhuynh4u
    So i actually paid $250 for a brand new pair....now off to buying a NAD

Once you get the speakers, don't be surprised if they look smaller and weigh less than you imagined. Set them up 8 feet apart on some stands, slightly toed in, and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results, especially the stereo imaging and midrange clarity. Some may like a subwoofer with these, but I found I didn't.

They may sound a little bright for the first 30 hours or so, but settle in nicely after that.
  • dragon1952
    edited April 2005
    Options
    The "demo sold" comment is an retail industry joke, but I'm pretty sure you'll get hooked up.

Yeah, I caught that too. If you go read the ad it says....

"If this ad is not marked sold then the product is still available. Please inquire."

Of course if you look now it's not marked 'Sold".
    Why doesn't he just say he's selling new ones in the first place. Maybe he's trying to get out of some Audiogon listing fee or something.
  • khanhhuynh4u
    edited April 2005
    Options
    sorry guys im not real sure what you meant..am i being trick or just some flaw on his advertisment?
  • dorokusai
    edited April 2005
    Options
    It's not a trick, just how some backyard e-tailers survive in the market. It's not uncommon.
  • Emlyn
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by khanhhuynh4u
    sorry guys im not real sure what you meant..am i being trick or just some flaw on his advertisment?

The seller (most likely an unauthorized dealer) is just putting new product on the market below the authorized Epos retail price by saying he has a demo unit for sale. I suppose he could open the box, look at the speakers, and say they've been transformed into a demo unit.

It's a common practice, and nothing to worry about as long as you know the warranty may or may not be valid depending on the product and the manufacturer's policy on "demo" sales. The other dealers advertising on Audiogon may get pissed at him and complain though.