Alpine's new head units

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was just browsing through Alpine's website (www.alpine-usa.com), looking at their new head units. From a aesthetic view-point, I don't like all the wavy lines they've put on there; it looks too, uhh, feminine maybe? Also, something that stood out to me: you have to pay $500 on a new HU to get 4V pre-outs! On their previous line-up, you could get 4V pre-outs for $380! I'm not sure I like that.....I like having 6.5V pre-outs....:D .....lol

What's everyone elses thoughts on Alpine's new stuff?
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Actually they used to have the 4 volt preouts on the $200 models. Now they start at the $350 9830.

I dont know what "wavy" lines youre talking about bro. They look like the same old Alpines to me. Which is a good thing as I think theyre the best looking units on the market.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    I dunno about wavy, but 'bent' seems apt. but is still think mac's a bit feminine...

:)

I still like pioneer's looks. eclipse is nice in a different way. kenwood seems a bit dull and teeny-bopper to me (at the same time, somehow). then again, pioneer is a bit ricer too...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Eclipse hu's are fugly. Every stinking one Ive ever seen. There is no doubting how good they are but as long as they look that homely, Ill never have one in my dash. Call me shallow!

And by the way, Alpines are very manly! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2005
    I think pioneer's new faceplate design is very well styled.

I have sen another (??) that had a static faceplate, but had a 3" lcd in the faceplate, played dvd's and mp3's on dvds... That was neat.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    When I referred to the 'new HUs' I meant the 9850's stuff; the 9830's stuff is hold-over from last year. All the new stuff (9850's) has 2V pre-outs unless you fork out $500. Nobody has yet said if that's really bad to have a $400 HU and still only have 2V pre-outs.

As for the 'wavy lines' I meant (on the 9850's stuff) from front to back, it is rather, umm, wavy. lol
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • elessar117
    elessar117 Posts: 5
    edited April 2005
    In my experience I have never notices a great difference in audio quality from a 2V output from a 4V output. I have used all sorts of brands from Sony, JVC, Eclipse, Panasonics and now I have a Alpine 9847. Aside from the 2V drop what I am most dissapointed is that this particular unit does not come with a remote. THAT!!!... that is dissapointing. I really do not worry too much about voltages. Let me explain why. Usually the mounting distance from your H/U to your amp is no longer than 16ft, and tipically because of engine noise, EMI and RFI installers use fairly well shielded cables. these cables usually are pretty good conductors and exhibit low loss of signal. This I can vouch for because I have actually taken several cables from different manufacturers, hooked them up to a BK Precision signal generator, an HP spectrum analizer and seen the wavelength of the singnal from point A to point B. Not too much of a difference at either 2V or 4V. so in conclusion, unless you have a signal that needs to travel over 50ft, or you are just really anal about matching voltages I don't think that either of these two volt signlas is going to matter........ahh yes....fun times, fun times
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    the primary advantage in stepping up from 2 to 4 or 6 is in noise rejection (well... S/N ratio), not less signal loss. many people won't notice the difference, but those with electrically noisy environments or the noise-anal (myself included) can appreciate the difference.

and you better not have noticed a wavelength difference in your setup, no matter the cable... amplitude, maybe tiny variations. a better test is to fire all sorts of noise at the cable and measure how much gets through, that measures the cable's noise rejection. then still with the noise going at the cable, measure the s/n ratio for 2V and 4V, you'll see a definite difference.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • elessar117
    elessar117 Posts: 5
    edited April 2005
    yes but not everyone is going to bother to hook up all those wonderfull equipments just to SEE the difference in signal to noise and any other variance in wave at different frequencies. All I'm saying is that there is no real audible difference to the common listener. I agree that there is an electronic difference at different stages of voltage/frequency/temp...etc....just wanted to give an opinion thats all..
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    and i just wanted to disagree, that's all :D

the only reason i suggested such a test is because you mentioned one you'd previously performed... but the real test is in the car... for example, i upgraded from 2V to 6.5V at the same time as i upgraded to Stinger Expert rcas... the combined effect was astounding, though i can't know which bit did how much...

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited April 2005
    I hope that their newer stuff actually puts out what it claims. I had an Alpine CDA-7998 and the 4V preout claims to me were suspect, mainly on the subwoofer preout. I disconnected the 7998 and connected my older Alpine setup, an Alpine CDA-7949 (4V) and an Alpine PXA-H600 processor (4V), several times. Every time I did this I had to readjust my gains on the amps, especially for the sub. I would have to turn it up when the 7998 went in and turn it down when the older Alpine setup went in. This was also true with another 7998 I had. So why would I have to do this if supposedly all of these components all had 4V preouts :confused: .

My current unit has 8V preouts :D .
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin