Tweeter bi-amp....

denis87
denis87 Posts: 86
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Okay i have my mm6's bi-amped running 40w x 4 @ 4ohms. I was looking at bumping up to a different amp that would put out 65w x 4 @4ohms. Would the tweeters have a problem handling that much power? I was thinking my mid drivers weren't getting enough juice. it would be a lot easier to get a 4ch amp then two different 2ch amps.
www.dmbvideo.com www.oilfans.com
Post edited by denis87 on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2005
    I'm not sure about how much the tweets can handle, but they are pretty sensitive, so they'll get plenty loud without too much power. You can always turn the gain down for the tweets and still give the mids all the power they need. Going from 40 to 65 watts won't give you a huge difference in volume though. It takes a doubling of power to get 3dB of output. I'd recommend at least 80 to your mids.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    I have roughly 90 watts to each mid, and that is way loud. austin is right, it won't be a ton louder, but the added headroom will allow your music to come alive. the mm6 really does shine at high power levels.

he's also right when he says that the tweets are ridiculously sensitive. these things will make your ears bleed if you feed them the same power as the mids.

i think you'd really like the sound if you move up in amps, up to 100 watts to each mid (100x4 is good). if you're nervous about it, buy from somewhere that'll allow you to return the amp, if you find that it doesn't do much for you.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • denis87
    edited April 2005
    getting a 100x4 wouldn't that be to much juice for the tweeters? that means 100w to each tweet.

oh BTW on a sidenote, how much power do you think 2 jl 12wo's can handle? i know they are underrated at 125rms.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    100 watts to the mids is great, 100 watts to the tweets would be literally painful. if you tune according to the gain tutorial referenced here, you'll find the sweet spot. you don't have to worry about blowing your tweets if it's clean power, your ears'll go before the tweets do.

sidenote - the warranty becomes void at 250 watts on a 12w0.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Im running somewhere in the neighborhood of 65-75 watts to my MM6 mids and tweets. Get a 75x4 amp and that would be a perfect match.

Although they wont get much louder with 20 more watts they will sound better.

The ideal choice is the Polk C400.4. It was designed specifically to power the MM6 and with its built in x-over you can bypass the passive unit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • denis87
    edited April 2005
    okay right now i'm running a kicker impulse that's rated at 40w x 4. i have an older pioneer but it's class A and more power at 65w x 4. Specs for the pioneer As for the subs i'm not worried about warranty as i bought them ages ago. i just want to run decent power to them but not blow them either. i did find a memphis amp 500w x 1 @2ohm for a good price.
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited April 2005
    Due to the way they're designed tweeters are very hard to blow from excess power, you're main concern when powering a tweeter is to adjust it to the volume level that you want.

Set the gain/eq levels for the mids based on sound quality and distortion levels and set the gain for the tweets based on volume preference.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!