2 12"s momos or L7 15"

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Which would you prefer? 2 12"S momos mm2124, or 1 L5 15" Kicker solobaric subwoofer?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Don't know about the L7, but the L5 kicks but. With equal power, the L5 is better than two 12" CVR's.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited April 2005
    the cc employees are all going to think they are cool with kicker in their car... i can see all these schmoes having full kicker systems thinking they are the ****...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Systems
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    Don't know about the L7, but the L5 kicks but. With equal power, the L5 is better than two 12" CVR's.

12" CVR's? what are CVR's?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2005
    haha nvm i know what a CVR is lol sry. But how would 2 MM2124 12" polk momos compare with a L5 10"??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by Manuj
    haha nvm i know what a CVR is lol sry. But how would 2 MM2124 12" polk momos compare with a L5 10"??

I don't know, the L5 I was playing with was a 12", and I haven't messed with the Momo subs.
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    the cc employees are all going to think they are cool with kicker in their car... i can see all these schmoes having full kicker systems thinking they are the ****...

-adam

Yeah, those punkass schmoes think they're so cool with their audio stuff they got for half price or less. :p
  • Systems
    edited April 2005
    who are the cc employees?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by manuj
    who are the cc employees?

me! lol and about 3 or 4 other guys around here.
  • Systems
    edited April 2005
    oo durr lol my bad, so wut kinda stuff do uhave in ur car?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2005
    oo durr lol my bad, so wut kinda stuff do uhave in ur car?

Nothing right now, I'm "between" cars. But I do have piles of speakers waiting for an '06 Stang.

Polk MMC5250
    Polk MMC570
    (2)12" Rockford Fosgate Punch Audiophiles(RFA-812, my fav for SQ)

(2)12" Infinity Kappas (4 sale)
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited April 2005
    I don't have anything either... but i have a few things in my closet:
    one 15" **** DVC
    Hifonics XXZeus 1600.1 amp
    Knukonceptz wiring

Buying within next two months:
    Kicker SS 5.25" comps
    Kicker 200.2 Amp
    Spectrum V3
    Interstate Megatron Batt.
    Optima Red Top.
    Ported Box from Woodlawn Cabinetry (ordering this today!)
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PolkThug
    edited April 2005
    Have you guys seen the new kicker boxes? They're ugly, but what is interesting is the port, you could roll a mini basketball down one.
  • Systems
    edited April 2005
    How long do u think 2 12" polk mooms and a carbon 500 would last? I want to save money and not have any subs that will just blow in like 2-3 years... Also, would u reccommend the carbon 500 or would u reccommend me put another amp to those subs, n get more watts out of the subs? I no the carbon 500 would give like 300-350 watts 2 each sub, and from ur reviews, i've heard these subs can take SO much more. The question is, if i put a bigger amp to the subs, will they blow faster? I want something that owns, and something that is very durable
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    durability depends upon usage. if you get the 500.1 to power 2 mm2124s, and you set everything up properly, they'll last you a surprisingly long time; i have a 7-year old sub in my living room, still goin string. despite what you may have interpreted, these subs cannot take "SO much more". Their rated powerhandling is 400 watts, and that's what they take, no more. the 500.1 powers them quite effectively, and allows them to last for a long time. I think you'd be happy with this setup, in terms of volume. i also think you'll be happier with the momos than with the kickers in terms of sq.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited April 2005
    Aight thanks im prolly gonna get the Carbon 500 and 2 12" mm2124's then. My next question is what kinda box should i get? Would this box be ok?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50567&item=5765110699&rd=1
    Would i want a bandpass box or a standard box? sealed or ported?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    okay, you DEFINATELY do NOT want that box. you want a sealed box for the momos for the best sq, or if you're willing to put a little more work in, you can try a vented box - how well the vented one will work is dependant upon craftsmanship and your car. if you have basic woodworking knowledge and tools, you can easily make a sealed box, and if you have a tad more than basic knowledge you can do a vented box. in NO case should you bandpass these subs, that would ruin the point of getting them, and ESPECIALLY a premade bandpass box.

premade sealed is fine, look for around .88 ft^3 per sub. vented is okay too, i'm not sure of the specs, check out the product page; you'll have to find a vented box that matches VERY closely to the specs to get good sound.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    okay, you DEFINATELY do NOT want that box. you want a sealed box for the momos for the best sq, or if you're willing to put a little more work in, you can try a vented box - how well the vented one will work is dependant upon craftsmanship and your car. if you have basic woodworking knowledge and tools, you can easily make a sealed box, and if you have a tad more than basic knowledge you can do a vented box. in NO case should you bandpass these subs, that would ruin the point of getting them, and ESPECIALLY a premade bandpass box.

premade sealed is fine, look for around .88 ft^3 per sub. vented is okay too, i'm not sure of the specs, check out the product page; you'll have to find a vented box that matches VERY closely to the specs to get good sound.

???? confused??!?!?!? the polk website says 2 get a dual bandpass box http://www.polkaudio.com/car/toolbox/subboxplans/subbox_plan.php?id=47&mesurements=standard
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited April 2005
    So am i looking at 2 boxes, or am i gonna combine them and make 1 box still?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    you can find both kinds of sealed boxes, depending upon how you need to install them. structurally, i prefer a single box that has 2 holes in it, which is a very common box and widely made and endorsed. unusually, i advocate a non-solid divider between the two subs, which is something you are not likely to find much of.

you want a single box with two holes that has .88 ft^3 per chamber. are you building or buying?

• Systems
    edited April 2005
    buying.. im confused how come polkaudio.com doesnt show how 2 make a dual sealed box?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    it's very easy to go from one to two, you simply tack on a second box to the first... perhaps they didn't feel that that particular configuration necessitated another page.

in any case, it's irrelevant. find yourself a dual sealed box, .88 ft^3 PER chamber, made of nice thick wood (3/4" preferred), and have at.

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2005
    buying.. im confused how come polkaudio.com doesnt show how 2 make a dual sealed box?

Because all you need to do is put a divider in the middle. If you're capable of building the box in the first place, one more panel is no trouble. If you've never built a box before and don't have a lot of woodworking experience you should save yourself the trouble and buy one. Companies like Subzone and Bassworx offer well- built boxes for not much money.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited April 2005
    ???? confused??!?!?!? the polk website says 2 get a dual bandpass box http://www.polkaudio.com/car/toolbox/subboxplans/subbox_plan.php?id=47&mesurements=standard

They'll work in a properly designed bandpass box, but there's quite a few people who don't like the sound of a bandpass box. If you put those woofers in a pre- fab box that's not of the same size/ tuning that we recommend, we don't think they'll sound good at all...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    The L7's will be louder but the Momos will sound better.

I like your idea of a pair of MM2124's running off a 500.1.

My suggestion for a box is to go sealed. Im one of those people that dont like bandpass boxes. Granted maybe I just havent heard a good one yet but Ive heard millions of good sounding sealed boxes.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    I don't have anything either... but i have a few things in my closet:
    one 15" **** DVC
    Hifonics XXZeus 1600.1 amp
    Knukonceptz wiring
    My Sexuality

^ After that '**** ****' incident i knew it was only a matter of time...

;)

just playin with ya adam
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    My suggestion for a box is to go sealed. Im one of those people that dont like bandpass boxes. Granted maybe I just havent heard a good one yet but Ive heard millions of good sounding sealed boxes.

that's cause sealed is the easiest to make sound good... properly designed a ported box can be just as good... I have my doubt that a bandpass box can reach the SQ level of a sealed box but it can at least sound good enough seeing as the main focus of the box is to increase volume.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    it's that 'properly-designed' bit that tends to snag people...