I believe 7.1 is starting to take shape!

Options
aaharvel
aaharvel Posts: 4,490
edited April 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I recently upgraded from dolby 5.1 to prologic IIx 7.1 and I couldn't believe the improvement in both wraparound effects AND the overall soundfield.

As odd as it may seem- i believe prologic IIx sounds even better than any DTS encoding scheme or Harman's LOGIC-7 - and since it's compatbile with DTS (as with older dolby digital 5.1 software)- it actually improves the sound of DTS soundtracks such as the 6.1 Gladiator or 5.1 Saving Private Ryan by converting it up to 7.1.

Although 5.1 is enough for most applications- i gotta tell ya prologic IIx and 7.1 sounds great in my room- it definetly takes home theater to another level.

I wonder if DOLBY PROLOGIC IIX is the dolby version of THX ULTRA II (which is 7.1 also)? I know Dolby and THX are deep in the bed with each other- so i'm assuming that this is true.

Front L&R - Rti-4
Center- Csi-3
Side Surrounds- F/X 300i (dipole setting)
Rear Surrounds- F/X 300i (bipole setting)
Subwoofer- Velodyne CHT-10 (80HZ)

Harman Kardon AVR 235 7.1 Receiver/Pre-Amplifier

Adcom GFA-5300 Amp (Front L&R) 80w X 2
Adcom GFA-7300 Amp (Center, S.Surrounds, R.Surrounds) 60w X 5

As good as the Harman is at driving this setup- The Adcom Amps really do make a world of difference. I am amazed.
These amps really shine when driving "SMALL" speakers- really brings out the midrange and highs over the Harman Kardon much to my surprise.

The 5300 really brings to life my 2-channel SACDS as well.
Peace out!

andrew61377 =)
H/K Signature 2.1+235
Jungson MagicBoat II
Revel Performa M-20
Velodyne cht-10 sub
Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush