Tubes vs Transistors - an interesting read

Options
BlueMDPicker
BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
edited April 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I thought I'd share this interesting paper. Enjoy.
Post edited by BlueMDPicker on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Very good read, interesting perspective.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2005
    Options
    This quote from the link really sums up the differences:
    A couple of professional studio players have pointed out on numerous occasions that the middle range of tube recordings is very clear, each instrument has presence, even at very low playback levels. Transistor recordings tend to emphasize the sibilants and cymbals, especially at low levels. "Transistor recordings are very clean but they lack the 'air' of a good tube recording." "With tubes there is a space between the instruments even when they play loud...transistors make a lot of buzzing." Two people commented that transistors added a lot of musically unrelated harmonics or white noise, especially on attack transients.
    IMO, SS creates artificial sounds and overemphasizes certain instruments. Generally, good tubes appear to have a higher level of "intelligence" by smoothing out rough edges, thereby providing a more balanced sound. Then, of course, there's the wondeful AIR that tubes produce. Gotta love the way the notes float in the atmosphere. That's what did it for me.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I don't know much about tubes in playback, but any guitarist can tell you "NO ****" when it comes to tube/ SS guitar amps. Overdrive a SS amp and the rest of the band wants to kill you... overdrive a tube and you have Purple Haze.

Good post, everyone should give it a read.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thats why some guitar amps have at least a tube preamp!
    I've got a Marshall 8080 with this. Also why full tube amps are still commanding top dollar.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I remember reading that last year. Very interesting article.
    Then, of course, there's the wondeful AIR that tubes produce. Gotta love the way the notes float in the atmosphere. That's what did it for me.

Yup, that's the first thing that got my attention too. SS is flat compared to tubes.

Maurice