Pioneer DV-563 SACD playback connections

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited April 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Ok, I received two SACD's in the mail today. It's my first experience and I'm very impressed. I'm using a Pioneer 563 universal player. It's discontinued but it's one of those famous entry level player just like the Tosh 3960. This player got a lot of attention from audiophiles for its SACD playback.

I'm not interested in multichannel, just hi-rez 2ch. Here's my question... When the player is set for 2ch playback, I get sound from both the "2ch outs" and the L&R from the "5.1 outs" when playing SACD's. I have my pre connected to the L&R of the 5.1 outs. Is this correct or am I suppose to be using the 2ch outs?

Thanks

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Interesting, Maurice. Perhaps it reads from both layers, hybrid and MC? I have mine modded and MC feature is disabled, so I always hook it up to the stereo output. Can you tell the difference on both? hook up another set of IC and try both (to your preamp) Did you get stereo SACD or MC? Sounds like a fun experiment to me.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I would think you should be OK. Just make sure the Pioneer is set to 2 channel when a SACD is loaded. This is how I am using my Sony SCD-CE595, but then it lacks the dedicated 2 channel L/R outputs.
  • organ
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Polkatese,
    I went to the menu and picked "2ch layer" for sacd playback. So I'm getting 2ch from both the 5.1 and 2ch outs. I will go ahead and compare the two outputs using another set of IC's.

I also have the same albums on redbook so I decided to do a comparison on the Pioneer. No contest, the SACD wins for clarity and dynamics. I get more HF extension on the SACD and that sense of "spaciousness" is a lot more obvious on SACD.

The albums are hybrid, 2ch and MC. I just want the high rez 2ch track.

I'll report back with the results.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks Danny,
    Picked up your recommendation. Eden and TTSG. Also have La Luna on the way. I'm still gonna give the 2ch outs a try.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Just tried both outputs. Sounds the same to me. Makes sense, I set the player to read the "2ch Area" layer for SACD. Other layers I can pick in the menu are "MC Area" and "CD Area". I'm really enjoying SACD. Too bad there's no other realease I'm interested in.

Maurice
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Cool, Maurice! enjoy..
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Danny Tse
    edited April 2005
    Options
    organ,

regarding SACDs, did you read this thread on yourmusic.com? $5.99 SACD....and that's including shipping!
  • organ
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Danny,
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see if they have stuff I want. I still haven't found anything else I want on SACD. But for $5.99/mo, I have nothing to lose.

Maurice
  • Danny Tse
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    Danny,
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out and see if they have stuff I want. I still haven't found anything else I want on SACD. But for $5.99/mo, I have nothing to lose.

Maurice

Do a search using " SACD" (that's a space before SACD) in album titles, you should get 45 SACD titles (unless yourmusic.com added more).
  • organ
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Damn, didn't find a single SACD I want. I'm interested in the classical crossover stuff. There's plenty on amazon.com but they're redbook.

Maurice
  • Danny Tse
    edited April 2005
    Options
    You may want to wait for this title....

2884.jpg

Dominic Miller is Sting's guitar player. While it's not yet released in the US until May, it has been released overseas. You can check out the actual disc 2/3 of the way down this page. You can also check out the domestic release news here.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I think that the LR from 5.1 and for 2ch are the same when you select "2 channel playback" from the audio output in the menu. This is what I remember from reading the AudioXpress writeup on that player a couple of months ago.
    Graham
  • organ
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Danny,
    Thanks for the links. I will check it out. I can't get enough of the new classical crossover stuff.

Gatemplin,
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Maurice