Opinions needed

jtjuska
jtjuska Posts: 5
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey, I have decided to upgrade the sound system in my 1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan (STS). It had the factory Bose sound system in it. I have replaced that with a Sony CDX-F7705X and some cheap speakers until I can get the money to spend on the sound system. I am not going to be buying anything for probably a month yet, but I want to know what you guys think of what I have come up with. I don't really want to deal with component install for the caddy so I decided that I would like to use the Polk MMC525 instead. I am planning on putting the MMC690's in the back. I also would like to put a pair of MM2124DVC's in the trunk (i wouldn't mind going with the MM2124's non DVC or the MM2104's but I know I want 2 subs. I like to keep things symmetrical. I want to amp both the in car speakers and the subs. I would like to wire the subs on a switch so that I can shut off the amp on them if I am out really late (I don't like to be too much of a jerk). Also what do you guys recommend for a amp for the in car speakers? I was thinking that the C400.4 would be a good match for those. I have no idea what amp to put on the subs, but I want it to sound good. Also if someone could give some opinions for good enclosures for the subs I would greatly appreciate it. I have never done a custom audio system in my car, but I am confident in my ability to do it. Also I have some friends that are good with this kinda stuff so if I get stuck I have help.

So to recap for easier viewing.
1992 Cadillac STS
Sony CDX-F7705X
MMC525's in the front
MMC690's in the back
MM2124DVC's in the trunk
C400.4 amp for in-car speakers
:confused: clueless as to a good sub amp that will match nicely for the set-up :confused:

Thanks for all your help guy!!
Post edited by jtjuska on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Your Sony head unit may have a subwoofer output control. With that you could turn the signal down to the subs at will.

The 400.4 would be a great choice for those speakers and as far as which amp to power your MM2124's, get the C500.1.

As for a sub box goes, here are some plans for a single MM2124 to give you the idea.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • jtjuska
    edited April 2005
    Thanks a bunch Mac, I was hoping that my thinking was close and you confirmed it. Also the Sony HU does have a sub control on it, I forgot about that as I have never used it before :) . I was looking at the C500.1 and wasn't sure if it would match the MM2124's nicely. I have read a mixture of things about it from various sources. I am glad to see though that it will work out.

If anyone has any ideas of things I should change I am open to suggestions. Thanks for everyones help!!
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    nope, that's a pretty standard and proven setup... have at
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • jtjuska
    edited April 2005
    Thanks a million guys!!!

Now all i need to do is come up with the money:D oh well, thats why i won't be doing it for about a month (maybe more).
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    it's okay, i've been saving for subs for... well, about 16 months now :)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • jtjuska
    edited April 2005
    I know the feeling, I am probably going to be selling one of my computers to pay for part of the cost. I don't use my desktop all that much anymore, although I hate to see it go in some ways. Oh well, the way I figure it is by the time I get back into LAN gaming I will have enough money (and time) to build another system. ;) Again, my thanks.
  • jtjuska
    edited April 2005
    Hey guys, Thought I would update some plan changes. I have been doing some measuring and thinking and assorted other things. I decided to go with the MMC5250 Component on strong recomendation from a friend who also is a big Polk Home Audio fan. I think I found a good place to mount the tweeter. I am going to skip getting the rear speakers and bi-amp the components. As for a sub, I am going to go with a single sub for now and hopefully get a second later, but if not I am not too worried about it. I am going to stick with the same amps as before. I thank all you guys for you help before. I will update you with info and hopefully pics when I get it done. It may still be some time though. Again thanks a million.