Rotel RA 920AX integrated amp?

Options
PolkFreak
PolkFreak Posts: 91
edited April 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I bought this Rotel RA 920AX 2 channel amp for SDA listening.
I can't seem to find an English review of it, but found a 921 review
and that review stated that the RA 920AX/930 were the year before the 921. I then looked in the old Rotel product listing and saw the 930 went from 1993-1994. So that told me the year, but
I haven't found any reviews specifically for the RA 920AX. The 921 is supposed to be like the 920AX from what the guy said in his review. He mentioned that he wouldn't use any of his better Hi-Fi
stuff on the 921 and that he used a old pair of speakers rated at 85 db. I thought using old power hogs like that wasn't fair judgment. He said, "During the listening tests the 921 seemed to be working very hard: the sound was rather undernourished, lacking some body and having a softish and slightly subdued bass." That is not a surprise considering the speakers he used
were rated at 85 db! What in the world could he expect using those power hogs with such a small amp? I think he should have
used the 921 in multiple setups using better gear with a pair of 90 db speakers or higher. Having a good cd player and pair of speakers would have better shown the strengths and weakness
of the 921 amp. There is a lot of other holes in his review, but maybe some people would like to see it with their own eyes.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/ra921e.html

My amp is being shipped from the UK and it would be nice to get
some impressions of it while I wait for it to show up at my door.
If anyone can tell me more about the RA 920AX besides the info
from the manual I give my thanks in advance!
Post edited by PolkFreak on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Forget the review. If the guy never tried his reference speakers on the unit, it means that he didn't take it seriously. Just wait for it to arrive and enjoy.

Maurice
  • PolkFreak
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Thanks, that was a good answer! On the other hand I think I'll be waiting for the Rotel for a while. I e-mailed the guy and told him to let me know if he needed extra cash for standard AIR mail
    and didn't notice he had a flat shipping rate of 9.99. I then paid for the amp and shipping. He then e-mailed me. Here is what he stated:
    Hi,
    I got prices from the post office today.
    They gave my 3 prices. (I will not charge anything for packing)

Surface 6 to 8 weeks £45.20
    Int Standard 5 to 7 days £61.10
    Int Post 3 to 5 days £73.98

Let me know what you think.
    Pete

I thought that last line translated into, "let me know how dumb you are"?

I think once I started talking about sending extra cash he started getting BIG ideas. My little "2" feedback on E-bay only reinforced
    the idea that he might be able to squeeze some extra cash out of me. It is about $84 for my Rotel to take a SOGGY BOAT RIDE for 6 to 8 weeks. $114 for 5 to 7 day AIR. And $138 for 3 to 5 days.
    Keep in mind I only paid $95 for this amp. I e-mailed him back and told him I wouldn't even pay $84 for AIR mail and he wants me to pay him $84 for a 6 to 8 week SOGGY BOAT RIDE? I told him I had more experience with buying and selling than my little feedback rating had suggested. I sold a box of Neo Geo MVS games to someone in Germany and the box was bigger and heavier than an entry level Rotel amp in the box. The cost to ship the Neo Geo games 6 to 8 weeks by a SOGGY SEA BOAT was $20! 5 day AIR mail was $40. Going to Germany was a larger trip with a bigger
    and heavier box, yet 5 day AIR mail was HALF the stated amount of the $84 6 to 8 week SOGGY BOAT RIDE he said my Rotel could take. I told him I that I was sorry that I couldn't even afford $84 for the SOGGY BOAT RIDE. The most I could do is pay him an extra $10 on top of the $20 I already gave him for the standard shipping fee. $30 is all I can and SHOULD have to pay. I do think $30 might be able to pass for standard AIR mail. I still think he just might send it 6 to 8 weeks on THE SOGGY BOAT RIDE FROM HELL and keep the rest of the money. Why pay extra?
    The prices of our postal systems could vary, but not to the degree
    that this seller is talking about. Could I be wrong?
  • PolkFreak
    edited April 2005
    Options
    I got an e-mail from the guy and he said he thought the shipping sounded funny too. He also said that in the end he will work it out so that we are both happy. I should note that in the above post I might have made it sound like I was rude to the guy, but
    I haven't been rude in any way and things have been going pleasant with the e-mails. I hope to be listening to my SDAs through the Rotel amp soon along with a good SACD.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited April 2005
    Options
    Good to hear. It's not your fault if the e-mail sounded rude. The price he told you was just wrong.

Maurice