lunchtime awakenings...

Options
juice21
juice21 Posts: 1,866
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
well, after running to the bank and picking upa sub at subway, i stopped by wee-bee (the local hi-fi here in lancaster). went in and talked with the owner if the new LSi's were coming. he has the catalouge, but hasn't put in the order yet..:( i notcied some SRT's in the front room, where did these come from???:confused: pulled them out fromthe back, had them in stock for awhile. full system on sale for $6,000. well, just finishing off my HT (finally) with the fx1000's, i tell him, i am mostly interested in the LSi's for a 2-channel set-up. his face lights up and he tells me they just brought on a new company, and i have to give them a listen. he pulls me into a demo room, and there is sitting some kirksaeter silverline 60's. never auditioning these speakers before, i figured i'd give them a whirl. there were two kirksaeter towers right beside these little bookshelves as well. so we popped in diana kralls love scene. i was in audio heaven!!! i couldn't beleive the sound these little guys were putting out. they were paired with pioneer elite cd player and pioneer elite 2-channel amp. a-35R (i think). i immediately had to walk up to the towers to make sure he wasn't pulling a fast one on me. these things were absolutely amazing. spacious, full, effortless. i jsut sat in the cushy chair for 15 minutes in awe of these things. i am going back with my own material when the LSi's come out to compare, but the LSi's are going to have some serious competition.

just thought i'd share...:D

has anyone else ever auditioned these speakers?
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Sounds interesting. They appear to be very efficient speakers, but the web site is vague on a few details.

What was the retail price?
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    $698, that was the best part!
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Everytime I'm home I call WeeBee and bug them about the LSi's. They keep saying "soon." I'm beyond anxious to hear the LSi15's. I can't believe they still have those SRT's. I was down there well over two years ago and they had them. I'd love to give those a listen.

I'll have to check out those Kirksaeter speakers when they get the LSi's. Have a link to their web site? Speaking of competition for the LSi's, you might want to check out the Sonus Faber Concertino bookshelf for $1100. It's a fine speaker that should give the LSi9 some good competition. I just hope WeeBee hooks the LSi's up to something better than a receiver. Still though, I wouldn't mind seeing another one blow up.....

Aaron
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    yeah, i saw the SRT rears in one room before, but never saw the fronts there before. i've probably stopped by 5-6 times this past year, the fronts were never there, that why i was so surprised to see them. right no, they just has the 2 towers in 1 room, and the two rears in another. the center isn't hooked up at all. it would be nice to have them set it up to listen to the whole system,but then they'd talk me into buying it...:D

here's a link to kirksaeter

there site isn't too great, but their speakers are! definitely give them a listen when your in wee-bee. i'll have to stop bye tweeter and check out the sonus'. i've seen 'em, just never gave them a serious listen.
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    Options
    did you see the maximum power rating for these speakers?

45 watts continuous

120 watts peak

recommended amplifier power is 20 to 40 wpc

these would last about 15 seconds in my listening room :D
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited March 2002
    Options
    They seemed perfect for you D/K! :D
    Highly sensitive...
    You just need the bigger models.

I'm very intrigued by a low wattage tube setup...
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Well ... they're not horn loaded so I doubt they're anymore than 92db/w.

With my 15 watt triode amp i can get 108db at the listening position (12 feet).

This is about the same someone gets with a 90db/w speaker with 250 wpc.

I would take the Polk's power handling over the miniscule, additional amount of transparancy the Kirksaeters might put out.

I got my money on the Polks. I think they'll dust these wussy European speakers :)
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    with all due respect to polks, if you get a chance dean, give these speaks a listen, they will surprise you. they did me...