18 speaker setup - need help with aquiring speakers

PoweredByDodge
PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well folks - I got all my amps now...

Two Mtx Thunder 81000d's
Two Mtx Thunder 8302's
One Mtx Thunder 4244

Total power output = around 4250 watts rms.

What are we doing?

4 speakers and 2 subs in the cab of the truck... 2 fronts, 2 rears, 2 subs... simple stuff. will use the 4244 4 channel and one of the 8100d's

in the bed of the truck - set up with built in mini-couch and mini-bar will be 8 (yes 8) 6x9" speakers and 4 subwoofers -- running off the two 8302 2 channels (200 x 2 at 2 ohms - so 100 per 6x9) and the 4 subs off the 8100d (dual 4 ohm coils or single 8 ohm coils).

This is going to look like a million bucks.

But what I need to make it all polk and all mtx is the following

a) two 12's for the inside - preferably momo's or dx's

b) 8 6x9's for the outside - preferably EXIII's / DX's / or new DB juniors (unless somebody can get me a GREAT price on the momo's)

c) 4 dual 4 ohm or single 8 ohm coil subs for the outside - preferably the new baby momos / db juniors / or old dx.

I need a good price - and I don't have a problem putting a big polk sticker on the truck.

G'day mates...

2003 dodge ram custom rt - 3.7 L 6 banger w/ new venture gear 5 speed / 4.1 rear end / 17" chrome wheels / chrome nerf bars / twilight blue pearl coat tu tone over a almond upper body - rumble bee hood scoop mathed to tu-tone. billet door handles and tail gate handle. more goodies to come.
The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
Post edited by PoweredByDodge on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Couch and mini bar in the bed??? :eek:

Youve been watching Pimp my Ride havent you?

Im not sure if youll have any luck with Polk sponsoring you so Sounddomain may be your best bet. They have the lowest prices on Polk and MTX gear and still be authorized.

I would stick with the Momos inside since they are the best sounding speakers Polk has right now. And since the ones in the bed obviously wont be for SQ puroses, stick with the DB's as theyll be cheaper and still handle the wattage youre going to throw at em.

Man I hope you pull this off. Id love to see a Ram all tricked out like this. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited April 2005
    Look at the speakers in my sig, if you want any of them, give me a price. I'll let you know though, one of the 6x9's has a little repair work to be done, the terminal needs to be glued back to the basket, which I could do, and the crossovers for the DX's has a little bit of rust on them, I did clean some off, but it's still there. If you want, I can take pics to show you...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2005
    what do you want for the DX 6.5" components?

i'd use them to replace my fronts - move my fronts to the rears - and save my rears as spare speakers or sell them ....

i'll still need two subs for the interior and 4 subs for the bed / 8 6x9's for the bed - i want all the speakers to match.

interior can be mix of polk DX/newer DB/Newer Momo --- but outside has to be all the same series of 6x9 and all the same series of sub...

i already have all the amps purchased. -- 2 i already own - 3 are coming in the mail. i paid 200 bucks for two 8302's and a 4244 -- two are blown and i have to rebuild but that wont be a problem.

the 4244 is brand new.

i dont want a sponsorship - my stuff isn't going to be THAT good... i just want a bulk price or a discount on "last year's stuff" ... EXIII 6x9's were really nice - and i figure maybe polk has some kicking around I can get at a discount. or even some that are "B" stock (blemishes).

I really don't want to go with mtx speakers - but I can get 4 mtx 6000 series dual 4 ohm 10" subs for 25 bucks a pop and 8 two way 6x9's for about 200 bucks. Obviously I'll spend more for polk - and tha'ts fine - but I just want to see if polk or anybody on here that might sell car audio can help me out on this...

what i'd be looking at "finished product" is...

INTERIOR

front doors - polk dx 6.5" components
    rear - polk dx 6x9's
    amp - mtx 4244 4 channel
    subs - two polk big momo's mm104's or 124's
    amp - mtx 81000d

EXTERIOR
    8 each - polk exIII 6x9's or 6.5" coaxials
    amp - two mtx 8302's running at 2 ohms per channel (115 watts per speaker true rms)
    subs - 4 polk DB junior (new ones) 10's or 12's DUAL 4 OHM VOICE COIL
    amp - mtx 8100d (300 watts per sub).

setup diagram - see attached image boys...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2005
    the good thing is that all the amplifiers will be inside the truck - and they all match cosmetically (same series / production year).

i've got all the wire and stuff i need -

just need speakers that all "match" -- i dont want to ghetto rig this thing.

also - i'm looking for ideas on finishing materials... as far as apolstering the mini couches and the speaker cabinets - any suggestions as far as "durable" materials??

this will be in my truck all year round in buffalo new york - home of the snow bunnies - so keep that in mind.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    ive got my old momo subs that have been used for like 3 months. ive been trying to get $215 + shipping(which is more than theyre worth) but ill give them to you for $200 shipped...which is still more than theyre worth though. But if you want em let me know. The grilles come with em. But they were going for $100 new with warranty and a box at Fry's for a while...which is **** **** because i bought them for 270 each plus another 20 for each grill
    damn you polk:mad:
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Its not Polks fault. That what happens when they discontinue an item. I got my $330 MM6's for $160! Now the trick is you have to wait for that particular model to be discontinued. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2005
    cody - long as they're in good shape and they haven't come apart or anything, then yes i'll take em for 200 shipped.

those will go on the inside - and no its not more than they're worth - i look at it this way - i can go ebay and snag em for 100 each new or whatever - but ebay has been so horrible lately with **** lying sellers that i find it a horrible place to buy - and i'm no where near a fry's - so in short - 200 is a very very good deal to me for 2 momo's, and i consider it you doing me a favor at that.

give me a week to settle my financials and i'll send you a money order.

ok... interior subs down...

now we have to knock out interior fronts - 8 6x9's and either 4 exterior subs ! :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2005
    also - if anybody wants a trade or to buy - i've got two audiobahn flame Q's that are 700 watts rms - 12" single 4 ohm coil that I am going to no longer need since i'm going back to all polk - they're in very good condition - have not been beaten on, and i will guarantee No - DOA.

what i'm looking for -- 4 polk EX II series 12" 8 ohm subs - 4 polk db series dual 4 ohm coil subs - or (dare i say it) 4 polk GNX 8 ohm subs.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2005
    i never beat on these or anything, but honestly i wouldnt feed them more than 450 watts. they do not like to be beat on. but yea, theyre in perfect condition, the grilles have a few cuts in em but nothing really obvious. Let me know when you send that money order. I dont have the money to ship them out now or I would. You dont happen to know anyone that would want that amp you tried to fix do you? Im trying to get some money for that as well...lol. i also have a pair of diamond m6 components if anyone is interested:D
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2005
    no bites on the amp... best bet is to put it on ebay "for parts" at 50 bucks.

diamond components *perk* how'd you come across those? condition? how would you compare them in sound quality to like a polk dx/momo ? rms power rating ? are they 2 way or 3 way (i dont like 3 ways - too much work to install - i like just the normal mid and tweeter setup) how much you want for them?

and don't stress hoss - i'd never expect you to ship without cash in hand brother... i'll tell you what i'll do also - i work for a UPS shipper - after we talk about the diamonds - you can put it all in a box (lots of newspaper), weigh it, and I'll send you a UPS tag in the mail with the 200 + whatever the diamonds cost if i end up going with them.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2005
    Compared to the mm6s I had they had better sound quality at the expense of bass response. But the mm6 was a 6.75" speaker and the diamonds are more of a 6" speaker (the diameter is 6.5 across the mounting plate) They're still under warranty actually. They will be for another 4 months or so. Asking $200 shipped. But I did have to send one of the mids in for warranty. I think one of the tinsel leads came loose from the terminal. But yea, theyre in great condition as well. And if something does go wrong theyre under warranty. I was over powering them though. They were getting about 200 watts and theyre rated at 170. But if anything happens within the next few months then theyll still be under warranty until 8/10 of this year. And they are 2-ways
    -Cody
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited April 2005
    Name a price for the DX's if you want them, I'm horrible at that.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2005
    hmm... well...

my love for polk not withstanding - i'm gonna go with the dx fronts cody.

so i'll send you 2 bills and a tag out mid to late week. email me your mailing address at vince@spinellicreations.com

spwuin - considering the age of the speakers... long as theyre working in good order... $75 and i'll send you a shipping tag so all you gotta do is slap the label on and give it to UPS. let me know if that's do-able for you, if not, we can negotiate if you like... email me at vince@spinellicreations.com

thanks guys.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2005
    PBD - I tried to PM you but can't. It said you either can't recieve them for some reason, or chose not to. I have a blaupunkt 40x2@4, 80x2@2, 160x1@4 amp that doesn't work. I've tried to fix it, but I don't really know how. I hooked up a tone generator to the inputs, the LED turns on when I hook up power, and I get the same signal from the outputs, but it's not amplified. I wonder if you can fix stuff like that. And what would you charge if you can? I'd love to be able to bi-amp my fronts so my mids could have more power. I think 85 to my mids and 40 to my tweets would be about perfect.
    Thanks,
    Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2005
    Austin,

In short - I can - but I try not to anymore.

I've improved to about an 80% success rate, but I don't like letting people down. Don't mix friends and rebuilds... I felt like crap when I couldn't get cody's working. got 4 guys up and running in the next few months and then was unable to get some piece of junk old jensen going - again, feeling like total **** cuz i let another person down.

Currently, I only do them for myself if I want to make a quick turnaround (buy an amp for 30 - fix it for 20 in parts - sell it for 100)... or if I need an amp for me or the old man or my mom.

That and the fact that it takes a while - it's not something I like to work on for 20 hours straight - I just kind of pick at it and *poof* all of a sudden I've got 2 or 3 of them fixed.

as far as what you've described... if you're getting the same voltage output as you're putting in then the output stage is completely conked... which leaves me guessing a few things off the top of my head.

1 - depending on the design of your amp, if the power supply non-functional then the input will either a) not make it to the output at all or b) pass right through to the output without being amplified (read as - same out as in)

2 - more probable - the resistors that balance the output transistors may be cooked or may be so cheap that over time they've gone so far out of tolerance that they're not biased properly at all... look at the bands going into collector/source and emitter/drain and see what they're supposed to be - then test them for actual resistance and see how close they are - anything worse than 10 or so % off is a "bad t'ing"... most are spec'ed out at 5 or 1% tolerance.

3- you'd be getting heat if you had a short in the output or the power supply so that's probably not it - and we already talked about screwups in the power stage - but a fried open circuit in the output state could also result in what you've described - check output transistors on the board relatively (with respect to each other - match p and n channels)... if they are blatantly gone - swap em out - if they are acting a little odd - dismount the suspect ones from the board and hit em up on a curve tracer to see what the hell they're doing.

best i can tell you right now dude. sorry.
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2005
    Well, I mostly understood through #2. My electronics skills are - at best - basic. Step 3 went right over my head! If you weren't able to fix it, I wouldn't be disappointed, since I got the amp as it is for free. Just thought it'd be nice to have if I could get it fixed.
    If you can't - or don't want to - fix it, it's not a big deal. I got it free and broken to start with, so I can't complain.
    I wouldn't want to make you work on it if it would take a long time. I just don't know enough to know what's wrong. It could be as simple as a bad resistor, or the whole think could be fried and I wouldn't know the difference. Nothing *looks* burnt though...
    -Austin

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2005
    PBD you got me thinkin...
    My old Kicker 700d sits dormant in a box because it outputs somewhere around a 1-5mv signal with a 5v input. due to the style of these D amps, I don't normally go anywhere past looking for problems visually. I had been paying close attention to the input stages because a friend borrowed the amp and I noticed he had very high line-levels. I don't hink I checked the power stages as those problems almost always show up as black spots ;) I'll have to do that. Any other ideas?
    -Jerry-

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited April 2005
    class d = class "dont" - as in dont try to fix it. it's a completely different animal. one that i don't feel comfortable playing with.

austin - i honestly don't have the time right now - i'm going to be picking up a second job - and i'm strapped as it is.
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2005
    No worries PBD. I totally understand the no time thing. Thanks for the tips though. Good luck with the new job.
    -Austin

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12