broken sony

bikezappa
bikezappa Posts: 2,463
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi

I have never posted on this car audio forum before, I usaully post about the SDA speakers and 2 channel stuff.

I need a recommendation. My Sony CDX-C5000X tuner/amp and CD controller intermittently gets very distorted on FM only. AM and the CDs will play fine. FM will play fine for a few days and then it breaks and has a very distorted sound.

Two questions.

1. Is this intermittent problem worth fixing?

2. If not, any recommends for a new sony? Need a sony to controll the trunk 10 CD player. I want the best FM reception possible.

Thanks

Peter
Post edited by bikezappa on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Not worth fixing. It would probably cost $200 to fix it and you can buy a brand new one for that much.

I say just get another one.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2005
    Macleod

Any advice removing the broken Sony?

It has a removable face plate.

Thanks Peter
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    Normally youd have to take the dash plate off and then remove the 4 screws holding the head unit in place. Its pretty easy. The hardes part is figuring out how to get the plate off.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for your help.

Is the dash plate the rectangular plastic trim that goes around the sony?

Do you pry it off gently?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Peter
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    What kind of car you driving?

What Im talking about is the trim piece that goes around the head unit. Every vehicle is different but it will look something like this:

• bikezappa
    edited April 2005
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    Usually you can just pop em off. They have little slots the pegs can fit into. If it doesnt budge, dont force it. Its likely some parts may be held on with a screw.

My Beloved Dodge has a single screw that you have to remove in order to get the panel off.

• bikezappa
    edited April 2005
    95 Honda Accord with Sony update 3 years ago from CC.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    only one screw?! man, i have nine! the entire front of the dash, from the air vent on the left to the glove box on the right, is all one piece, and is a beyotch to get off... thus, my HU is still just chilling in there, and i have to hold it when i floor the gas... :D

it's on my todo list...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    only one screw?! man, i have nine! the entire front of the dash, from the air vent on the left to the glove box on the right, is all one piece, and is a beyotch to get off... thus, my HU is still just chilling in there, and i have to hold it when i floor the gas... :D

it's on my todo list...

rofl.....
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited April 2005
    I had mine sitting in my hand while i drove for a few days, that was fun. I managed to disconnet the antenna wire, and blow a fuse, so i took it out, and never had the time to put it back in
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2005
    Two questions:
    1. Is there an installation kit around the headunit to make it fit you're car?
    2. Or is it DIN mount which means it is the same size as your stock radio?

If it's #1, and you're replacing a Sony with a Sony, you can remove it out of the cage, unplug it, plug in the new one, and slide it back in. That will take you about 45 seconds.

If it's #2, then, yes, you have to remove the dash panel to get to the mounting brackets.
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2005
    There is a retangular 1/4" thick section of plastic trim around the sony unit. It appears to be loose and I maybe able to pry it loose. I would hope that there would be some screws under the plastic trim. Then I'm done.

The plastic dash plate looks very well mounted and even goes all the way down and around the shift lever. I don't think I want to mess with it.

I may just have CC install a new sony.

Has any one any recommendations for a sirius satillite add on to the sony that can play in the car and home?

It sucks with no FM radio every morning. Listening to the AM talk radio is going to reduce my IQ fast. Why do these am talk radio hosts think they are the only smart people with opinions in the world? They are always yelling at me. They are no better or smarter than we listeners. They are just selling something.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    lol... but there are many options to carry sirius into the home from the car; they involve a separate mounting point for a separate control unit in the car, which you can then pick up and carry into the house, and plug in to a component there. i'm not sure of the exact details of the process, nor do i know the details of controlling the units, but here is perhaps a good place to start learning.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2005
    The 1/4 inch trim you are refering to is the trim ring of the radio. That has to come off to get the radio out (in most cases). What kind of car is this. I should've asked this first.
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2005
    95 Honda Accord with Sony update 3 years ago from CC.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2005
    Yes, you should be able to remove the HU from the front w/o disassembling anything. Just remove the 1/4 plastic trim around the HU and depress the two metal tabs on the sides inward and pull.
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    If you buy a new Sony from Circuit City they will usually install it for free.

• bikezappa
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll work on it Saturday.
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    lol... but there are many options to carry sirius into the home from the car; they involve a separate mounting point for a separate control unit in the car, which you can then pick up and carry into the house, and plug in to a component there. i'm not sure of the exact details of the process, nor do i know the details of controlling the units, but here is perhaps a good place to start learning.

RS sells one for $150, which is the reciever and the car kit. Then for the home, you can get either the home kit, which hooks up to an existing home stero system with RCA type inputs, or you can get the boombox which its own seperat unit. The home kit is $50, the boombox is $100. Thats what most of them are running for, we carry the sportster version. Its easy to install, and there are 2 ways to hook it up to your HU. One is if your hu has rca inputs, which would be best, but if not, there is a built in fm modulator which sends a signal to the hu, and you just tune the radio to that, theyre all fm stations, i believe theyre like 88.1,3,5,7,9, and maybe some upper range ones. The car kit mounts by either double sided tape or 4 screws. Theyre easy to control, and also come with a remote.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited April 2005
    heck, most of the time when i'm replacing one aftermarket HU with another regardless of brand I can avoid removing trim pannels... just remove the old HU, use a small screwdriver to pry out the tabs of the cage, slide in the old cage and push the tabs out to hold it in place, switch the wiring harnesses and you're good to go...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • bikezappa
    edited April 2005
    The sony is removed! Thanks Josh, just push in the tabs and out it comes.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2005