correct placement of a single sub

rbarbera75
rbarbera75 Posts: 16
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok so I have read a lot about using only 1sub vs 2subs. I ended up disconnecting my second sub and honestly I cant really tell the difference between 1 or 2 so I cam going to only use 1 sub and save the other for my new car. I have a civic coupe. Currently I have the 2 subs in the trunk right up against the trunk lid, bascically near the rear bumper, I have the sub facing back. So my question is if I am going to only use 1 sub in my system, then where would be the best place to put my sub box and which way should the sub be facing?

Thanks for all the help as always.
Post edited by rbarbera75 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, Im a single sub kinda guy myself.

As for placement, it all depends on the vehicle, the shape of the trunk and on and on.

I suggest trying it out in a bunch of different places.

Youll most likely find the best place would be in the corner firing up.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    yes, many people don't realise that adding another sub at the same power only adds 3 dB.

and experimentation is the key for single-sub placement. you may find that placing it up- or down-firing decreases the sq, but it's all about trying it out. generally, the best results come from corner-loading the sub (same as home audio, jam it in a corner somewhere).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • rbarbera75
    rbarbera75 Posts: 16
    edited April 2005
    when you mean corner loading , do you mean placing the sub in a corner and have it firing into the corner or away from the corner?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    If you fire a sub down into the floor or into a corner it builds off the walls and adds volume but at the expense of clarity.

You can either stick in in the corner and fire it down or up.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2005
    I experimented with one sub over a year ago, since its in a very small box, it fit in the corner of the trunk...in-between the bulge where the rear wheels are and the corner taillight assembly. placed at either the left or right side firing to the opposite side of the trunk, this was the best for my tastes. the GNX12 seemed to produce much deeper bass at the expense of a little outright volume, but the bass seemed to "crawl" more. Sound-deadening stopped that though. This was compared to rear or forward firing. If its outright loudness in the cabin front firing through the ski-hole in hte rear seats was the best,but quality sucked...it sounded like it was producing nothing below 50hz.

Just be careful when you open your trunk though,at least when its raining.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by jjm124
    Just be careful when you open your trunk though,at least when its raining.
    hehe... sounds like this is from experience :)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs