what do you clean your speakers with?

Options
begbie
begbie Posts: 630
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Had a chance to read the manual for the new rti70. It mentioned not to use furniture polish to clean the speakers. Instead to use a damp cloth.
I for one have used "endust" which works great on the rt800i's.
What gives though? Maybe polk just wanted to play it safe.

Btw, the new manual is thinner than my toilet paper. The speaker build quality looks like two steps forward but one step back. My
two cents anyway. I'm sure the sound quality will come through
and that's where it counts.
Polk Rt800i -Fronts
Polk cs400i -Center
Polk fx500i -side surrounds
Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
Velodyne cht12
Polk psw111
Post edited by begbie on

Comments

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i know they cant use oil base finnishs no more, it a water base or a vinal finnish on the speaters now. so you are not to use oil, alcochal,or thinner base cleaners. see if end dust is water base cleaner.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i just dust mine with a cloth. do it often enough and it seems to work fine. i use compressed air in a can to get around the speakers and the grilles, works great...
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I have just a feathery duster thing...but I've used compressed air before too, works real good. For cleaning I'd just use water.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    A damp rag and vacuum the grilles as neded.
    Chris :)
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    the olny thing i hate is that the finger prints stand out on my speakers but i can tell when some one tuches them. i just use a damp rag
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The LSi's shiney finish is real bad about fingerprints.

Luckily it's just me in the apartment ;)

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I use those things that "magnetically" pick up dust. They are soft cloths that work well. For inside (grille, and actual speakers), compressed air is the only way to fly.

BTW, how do you like the new RTi series? We want a full review! :)
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited March 2002
    Options
    When I want my speakers clean I use a flute and oompa loompas.

Seriously though: is it my location or does it seem like speakers attract dust? I use a Professor FluffNDust every few days to keep them clean.

Yes, I know... freak.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I've got the old coated paper woofers in the Monitor and SDA series. These attract driver dust like there is no tomorrow.

Here is what I've learned. The center dust protector is glued on by Polk. Over time, the glue oxides with the air and the drivers develop a very ugly white ring. Dilute amonia (Windex) works great in removing this white (looks charred) ring.

Now, the rubber woofer "foam replacement" needs some attention too. A rag lightly dampened with "Armor All" works great in bringing aging rubber back to shiney-new condition.

The coated woofers (on a pair of 13 yo CRS's) were horribly dust encased. I used a little windex to remove the bulk of the dust.
    Then, I used the "Armor All" to completely remove all the rest of the dust. They look much, much better now. Originally, they were mighty ugly.

As far as the nice oak wood on the SDA's, furniture polish works fine. That wood needs it to look its best.

My Monitor 10's and CRS's are black. I've used a black sharpy to improve the finish of nicks that the speakers have accumulated over the years (while in someone elses possession).
  • stu4now
    stu4now Posts: 3
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I use the good ole vacuem with hose -n- brush attachment then wipe the cab. with endust for electronics (blue can) I noticed a big difference on my TV a couple of years ago with the endust (doesnt stop all dust from sticking but it helps) so now i use it on anything electronic.........................ok not my toaster but........
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited March 2002
    Options
    spray the electronics with compressed air then i use the kirby hose and brush for getting the dust off the speaker grills and around the electronics, and on the t.v. except the screen. use pledge for the cabinets and windex sprayed on a soft cloth for the screen and the out side of electronics and speakers. i will have to try the end dust
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • As/400
    As/400 Posts: 1
    edited March 2002
    Options
    why, my tounge of course :)
    As/400 out
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited March 2002
    Options
    The endust bottle says no wax and no silicone. Is it still safe? Probably so since I've been using it for 2 years. Btw., it's the yellow bottle and not the anti-static blue one.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Linseed oil.