Today i received the mmc6500 :)

SamSagaZ
SamSagaZ Posts: 321
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys, i received my new mmc6500 components!!!!

ill install it in a few minutes... hope i dont blow anything... hehe..

btw, i need to start saving money for the amps now :)
Post edited by SamSagaZ on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    awesome!!!!
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    edited April 2005
    mmm not happy with the first impression sound :(

looks like the speakers that come with the car have a lot more of sensibility.

and if i equalize the HU with power bass dont sound so fine and have a lot of distorsion, maybe it will be fixed with the amp.

ill post some other info later...
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited April 2005
    What head unit are you running? Do you know how much power the speakers are getting right now?

How are they installed? Did you seal the door?

1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2005
    Right now theyre going to sound like crap and here's why:

1- They need to break in. My MM6's sounded pretty lame for the first week or so I had them but gradually started beefing up and now they are about the best speakers Ive ever owned.

2- Youre running them on head unit power. These 120 watts speakers are getting about 10. Thats like trying to tow a 10,000 pound boat with a Hyundai with a 1.3 liter engine. Sure youre gonna move some but its gonna be slow. Same thing here. Theyre not getting enough power to make them perform properly. This isnt hurting anything, it just sounds like ****.

3- Youve probably got the tweeter's attenuator set at 0 db. Knock this thing right on down to -6 db and see if that doesnt sound better.

Trust me brother, Ive heard these things a lot and they are among the best speakers on the market. Once youve got them broken in, properly powered and dialed in youll love em. I guarantee it!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2005
    Possibly, the HU's power is pretty weak and the stock speakers had a high sensitivity so they didn't need much power.
  • SamSagaZ
    edited April 2005
    well yes, i heard it wihout put it on the door.
    so its not sealed, i was working all the day to try to fit the speakers on the door, take a look of the job that i did :)

mmc1.jpg

mmc2.jpg

mmc3.jpg

mmc4.jpg

mmc5.jpg

mmc6.jpg

mmc7.jpg

mmc8.jpg

mmc9.jpg

mmca.jpg

mmcb.jpg

What do you think?
  • SamSagaZ
    edited April 2005
    i need to do that because the speaker are a little small than the originals, and maybe i need to cut the metal of the door because the mmcs dont fit. but maybe now, with the plastic stuff that i added to the door they fit :)

one question the panel need to be 100% sealed? or no matter?
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    You do excellent work my friend.

No, the door panels dont need to be completely sealed. The speakers are designed to work in an infinite baffle or free air. Its very difficult to completely seal a door panel if not impossible.

Just make sure theyre securely mounted preferably to a wooden baffle and youre set.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited April 2005
    Very nice work!! Let us know how you like the sound after you get them installed.

1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2005
    Your stock speakers are most likely have a higher sensitivity rating because theyre made out of cheap paper. most aftermarket speakers have a lower sensitivity rating than their stock counterparts.
    the reason why it doesnt sound good because you dont have an amp hooked up to it. i promise you, hook up an amp and theyll come alive
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    edited April 2005
    Thanks for the comments guys.....

well i like the finished job, hope it sound great too....

tomorrow i think that ill connect the crossover using the old speakers wire and when i get some bucks to buy the new wires ill disasembly the door again and just change it.

i just found 2 brands of wires in my country
    AudioStream $10/meter
    Neotech $4/meter

i think that ill buy the newtech..

i need like 12 meters because ill biamp it :)

ill go with MacLeod tip and ill try to buy the PolK 400.4 :)
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited April 2005
    I'm gonna go ahead and say get more wire then you think you'll need. 12 meters is what, 36'? Definatly get more, especially cause your bi-amping. Between my components in my truck, and the little bit I'm using for my sub, I've got somehow nearly 60' of Monster speaker wire in there, and that barely made it. Cause think about it, you'll have two pairs of wires going down each side from door to trunk, if thats where you mount the amp. So figure 10 feet or so for each wire, x4, cause two per side, two sides...so right there your at 40'. Plus you want a little room for a boo-boo. It's better to have a little extra, rather then not enough.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • rbarbera75
    rbarbera75 Posts: 16
    edited April 2005
    I was looking at your pictures. Is that a polk spacer that you have? Where did you get it?
  • SamSagaZ
    edited April 2005
    yes its the polk spacer, you like my pics? :)
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2005
    The spacer comes with the speakers.

A good rule for wire length is to get 20' per channel. This is almost always too much but thats a good thing. Its better to trim off an extra foot of wire than it is to stick everything back together, drive all the way to the neares shop just to buy 1 foot of wire.

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by SamSagaZ
    one question the panel need to be 100% sealed? or no matter?
    I'm going to say yes here. Even if you just run a bead of hot glue or something to seal it, make sure it's totally sealed, or you'll get cancellation. It'll especially kill your midbass if there are any leaks around that speaker.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    No, the door panels dont need to be completely sealed. The speakers are designed to work in an infinite baffle or free air. Its very difficult to completely seal a door panel if not impossible.
    They are designed to run IB, but not freeair. The door panel doesn't need to be sealed, but the speaker does need to be sealed to the panel. Otherwise, like I said, you'll get a lot of cancellation and they won't sound good.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2005
    For that sealing, I would look for Rubber weatherstripping. This is a strip of rubber foam, usually white. The grey stuff isn't as good (assuming the colors are the same there) as it is softer and has bigger air pockets. It is a local hardware store item.

The strip you want will be between 2cm and 4cm wide and about 1cm tall. Compress this between anything you dont want to glue down or caulk, using the adhesive side to attatch it first to the panel or such. Use this around where the speaker bolts in.

Another you may want to do is look at your door panel's weatherstrip. This is the soft greay stuff. If your car is older than eight years or so, this stuff starts deteriorating. It can be replaced with the wide grey stuff bought new, and will help to seal up the panel to the door.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.