C400.4/Crutchfield/Install

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BSttZnHmOWo/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=107C4004

I drive a 4-door sedan with Polk aftermarket speaker (DB6500 front, DB6575? rear) and I'm looking to upgrade with an amp. Is the crutchfield deal worth the cash?

My question is that is it possible to power just the front components and the sub with the amp (is it even worth it?) and just have the rears unpowered.

How much does it usually costs to install 4 channel amp in the LA area?

I don't know, drop some advice on me.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    that is a great amp, but it will underpower your components by a little bit and the free sub you get by a lot. you may wish to consider getting that amp, biamping your fronts (or simply amping front and rear), getting the free 10 (or paying $20 to step up to the 12), and finding an amp for that.

in any case, if you don't have your fronts amped now, you don't know what you're missing.

oh, and install. it's possible to do it yourself, though for this complex an operation i suggest you do go with an installer... for price, i dunno, call around once you've decided what you'll get, tell em what you want, and pick a place that looks good (not just to your wallet, but is clean and respectable and so on).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited March 2005
    If you aren't concerend about warrenty, you can save a bunch of money on one of those amps by checking into E bay.

Here is one for $275.00

Just do a search for Polk C400.4

Also not to argue with Neo, but my C400.4 actually puts out 94W per channel, almost a perfect match to the DB6500's 100 watts continuous.

If you decide to go with a subwoofer in the future, you could bridge the rear two channels of the C400.4 and run 200 watts to say a single ten. Dump the rear speakers, or just power them off your deck.

Yeah as Neo stated it would be underpowered, but it would still sound decent until you could afford a 300.2 or similar amp.

Or if you don't want the sub, just power what you have now with the 400.4 and be happy.

Install prices are going to vary from shop to shop. As Neo said, don't just go with the cheapest place...you get what you pay for. Or do it yourself, it's not exactly rocket science.

1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by dolfan87
    Also not to argue with Neo
    what is this bull?!?! argue with me all you damn well please, how do you think any progress is made in the world?!

and other than that, i forgot that polk's amps are rather heavily underrated, so they would indeed be a good match for the components. and yeah, all the other stuff is good too :)

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • dolfan87
    edited March 2005
    what is this bull?!?! argue with me all you damn well please, how do you think any progress is made in the world?!

LMAO...ok, I WAS arguing with you...how do you like that Neo? ;)

It's so refreshing to come across a poster who doesn't have a stick shoved up his...err, well you know.

1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    you guys need to take your kinky stuff somewhere else...
    ;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dolfan87
    edited March 2005
    Ummm, errrr...that's all I have to say about that. :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by dolfan87
    If you aren't concerend about warrenty, you can save a bunch of money on one of those amps by checking into E bay.

Also not to argue with Neo, but my C400.4 actually puts out 94W per channel, almost a perfect match to the DB6500's 100 watts continuous.

I highly recommend AGAINST buying from Ebay. There is not telling what youll get. You may wind up with a Kraco amp with 'Kraco' marked out and 'Polk' written in with a sharpie.

Buying from Crutchfield or Sounddomain may cost a little more but they are much more trustworthy and you know youre getting brand new gear straight from the manufacturer with the manufacturers blessing.

Dolfan is right that the 400.4 puts out nearly 100 watt per channel. Its a ballsy amp indeed and would be a prefect match for your speakers. I would say however to get a sub but get a dedicated amp for it. Youll be much happier.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dolfan87
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I highly recommend AGAINST buying from Ebay. There is not telling what youll get. You may wind up with a Kraco amp with 'Kraco' marked out and 'Polk' written in with a sharpie.

Buying from Crutchfield or Sounddomain may cost a little more but they are much more trustworthy and you know youre getting brand new gear straight from the manufacturer with the manufacturers blessing.

Dolfan is right that the 400.4 puts out nearly 100 watt per channel. Its a ballsy amp indeed and would be a prefect match for your speakers. I would say however to get a sub but get a dedicated amp for it. Youll be much happier.

Yes, there is a risk with E bay. I have had very good luck because I almost always pay with Pay Pal, and the protection that they provide.

Feedback is usually the key. Sellers with perfect, or near perfect feedback, don't want to gain negative remarks.

I bought my Polk 400.4 from an e bay seller, and had it arrive very quickly and paid $324.00 for it.

It really depends on how badly you want to save $65.00 or so on your amp.

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    You also have to consider how much having Polk's service and warranty is worth.

Buy it off Sounddomain or Crutchfield and you get the warranty and Polk's best-in-the-business customer service. Thats worth some extra bones to me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dolfan87
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    You also have to consider how much having Polk's service and warranty is worth.

Buy it off Sounddomain or Crutchfield and you get the warranty and Polk's best-in-the-business customer service. Thats worth some extra bones to me.

Yup...that's true.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2005
    Also, I get that free sub, I mean, Ebay is cheaper (we all know that) but I get that free 10 inch AND quality customer service (if I ever need it) from either Crutchfield or Polk Audio.

Anyway, I'll probably just power the compnents and bridge rears for the sub until I scrap some cash together for a 2 channel amp (I figure a monoblock would be overkill for a SINGLE sub)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    not necessarily - monoblock simply refers to a one-channel amplifier. in the car audio world, this generally means a sub-specific amp (read: class D), and that provides power in a small, efficient package. efficiency is good, because you get less dimming and deepcycling problems. monoblocks can come in very small ratings, so they are absolutely worth a look.

fun fact: an exception to the monoblock=sub rule is McIntosh, possibly the best audio equipment in the world (at 18 grand per speaker tower and 5 grand per channel of amplification, it damn well better be!)