Component impedence help

C-Man
C-Man Posts: 307
edited April 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm just curious... How does the impedence on a pair of 2 way separate components work? They are 4 ohm speakers so I'm just curious if the tweeters are 8 ohm and the midbass are 8 ohm and when you combine them they are 4 ohm. I wonder this because when I took my Frontier to my local shop to have them put in my comps, I asked them to put the tweets in the post by the windshield where they go. Well they didn't wire the tweets into my amp... they ran them off deck power, and they also did not run them through their crossover. I'm going to be putting my amps back in my truck tomorrow and I was wanting to wire my amp to both the mid and tweets, but I don't wanna deal with running the wiring from my crossovers in my doors up to the posts just yet. I'm wondering if it's gonna change the impedence to run the tweets and mids in parallel off the amp. Would it run them at 4 ohm stereo or 2?
Thanks.
"The Big C"
Post edited by C-Man on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    passive crossovers don't change any impedance. so if the whole system is listed at 4 ohms, then the mid and the tweeter are both at 4 ohms (or higher, concievably).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    the mid and the tweeter are not wired together so its not like wiring it to a 2 ohm load, it just basically sends half to the tweet, half to the mid(or at least thats my understanding, correct me if im wrong)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    nope, that's about it... though you can send different proportions to different speakers (like i think diamond does 66/33 or somesuch).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    As far as I know, most tweeters are 8 ohms while the mids are 4.

All I know is, if you wire a mid to an amp its 4 ohms. If you wire a mid/tweeter to an amp its 4 ohms. I find it best not to question things too much! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited April 2005
    I figured as much. I've been in the game for so long now I'm actually starting to forget things I learned years ago. It's sad really. Senility.

Anywho, I wired them up parallel and it sounds awesome. Thanks guys.
    "The Big C"