sorbothane feet (vibration isolation)

Options
starsky
starsky Posts: 5
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I'm using sorbothane feet to isolate my RT25i speakers. What I have is very similar to what you see here:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=AQBF&product_name=Sorbo-Gel%20Big%20Feet%20-%20Set%20of%204

The sorbothane pod is sticky. Does anyone have any experience with these pods? I'm wondering if the sorbothane will attack the finish on my speakers, or stain the wood.

Currently I've insulated the sorbothane from the speaker cabinet with a small piece of plastic, but I'd prefer to attach the pod to the speaker cabinet directly because that will make the speakers extremely resistant to creeping or even getting knocked over... they'd basically be glued in place.
Post edited by starsky on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited March 2002
    Options
    $70 bucks holy cow, I still can't figure out how these things are worth the money. They isolate vibrations in audio equipment. Big deal, would that really make a clear diffence in sound quality.
    ANYONE!!!!!!! ANYONE!!!!!!!! :eek:
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    Options
    ehhh, they seem like the vibra pads polk sells in the store here....funny thing is they don't even mention speakers in that paragraph. Tweak tweak tweak tweak tweak!
  • starsky
    starsky Posts: 5
    edited March 2002
    Options
    First off, I didn't pay $70; I bought these for $6 apiece, about the same price as the Vibrapods sold at polkaudio.com.

Second, I didn't buy them to make the speakers sound better, but to keep the speakers from shaking the heck out of my desk when I have the music up too loud. The difference in amount of transmitted vibration is dramatic.
  • pensacola
    pensacola Posts: 269
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I've got wood floors. I put a sandwich of cork/styrofoam/cork under my SDA's. Cork's not cheap.

Give War A Chance
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    Options
    For some reason mine came with square stickys about a 1/4-1/3 inch thick. (I think) anyways I just used those. But those came with the LSi7's I believe. But I had enough to use for my 25i's too.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Things like vibrapods can actually make quite a difference in sound when used on CD or DVD players. I have not tried it for other equipment such as amplifiers or pre-amps but it would make sense that they could sound better (and last longer) if they are not vibrating.

BUT for speakers don't you want to keep them from moving? Even if they only vibrate back and forth slightly the midrange can sound muddled. When Polk came out with the larger SDA's they included spikes to hold them in place on the floor and provided steel rods that hook to a wall and the back of the speaker to make sure they didn't vibrate.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D