My first Fiber Box for the mm2124.

SamSagaZ
SamSagaZ Posts: 321
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys, i already done the 60% of one of my box for the mm2124 subwoofers, i used like 15kg of resin and 5Kg of fiber glass and ill use 5 more of resin :)

i know that my english sux and maybe noone undestand what im trying to say.. hehe...

btw, i fill the box with water to test how much lts it have and i measure like 55-60L its ok for the subs?
Post edited by SamSagaZ on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    for 2 subs right?
    55L=1.94 ft^3
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    no, just one :S
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    some pics...

02.jpg

01.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    06.jpg
    07.jpg

just need to put 2 more layers of fiber in the top of the box
    and maybe one inside.

is the first time that i work with fiberglass
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    for a sealed box, you need .88ft^3, which is like 25L, your box is way too big...
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    also, im not so sure how good it will stand up to water...i know some boats are made out of fiberglass but id rather use something like pinto beans or packing peanuts
    -Cody
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    damn i cant beliave it!! :( i dont want to do it again!!!!
    maybe i can fill the inside of the box with some material so ill get less space
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    expanding foam would do the trick
    -Cody
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    i was thinking abt that too :)

and i can create irregular faces so less distortion will be archived :)

the bad thing is that i lost a lot of space for that sub :(
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    would it be possible to cut off the sides and just fiberglass that?
    -Cody
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    thats not an bad idea, at least one of the side... ill think abt that :)
  • dolfan87
    dolfan87 Posts: 114
    edited March 2005
    Nice job though for a first time fiberglass project! My first project with glass was the dash in my Mustang...turned out ok.

[IMG]http://www.outofruin.com/photos/Dash 1.JPG[/IMG]

Here is the car it's going in...along with the rest of the actual car (I'm working on it still!)

Car1.JPG
    1970 Mach 1: ///ALPINE DVA 9860 H.U and H701 processor. Image Dynamics CSX 52 components, and IDQ D4 Sub. Polk/Momo 400.4 and 500.1 amps.
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    maybe will be an nice idea start the box again...

but i already spend like 100U$S :(

i can put the both speakers in the same box, is not the best, but i can save a lot of space!

ill think abt it tonight
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    please need ideas! what do you think?

these are the options
    1 - expanding foam in the box that i made to just have .88ft^3 and create another for the another sub and fill is with foam too.

2 - try to Cut a side

3 - Start the box again and do it half of the size.

4 - Create a new BOx and put both speakers in the same box?

:)
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    sell it on ebay and make a new one that houses both subs. think of the first one as a practice run
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    ideally you would want to make a new box that has the right volume. if you don,t want to do that, i say cut off a side and re-glass that part. your box is about twice as big as it needs to be, so you'll be cutting about half of it off. because it's so close to the right size for 2 subs, it may be best simply to mount both in the box you have now.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    ok, ill send this box to the trash :D

ill start a new one in the other side of the car and i will put both subs :D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2005
    glass me up some kick panels for my 88 dodge to house 6.5" component woofers.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Nice ride dolfan87! ;)

I think Im gonna break down and get some kicks. My truck is just impossible to get proper imaging with the stock speaker locations. My left and center are nearly on top of each other and my right goes half the width of the truck. Talk about skewed.

I think itll be good enough to do well in the Amateur ranks but once I move up it wont cut it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    im still a firm believe that tweeters in kick panels in trucks sounds like ****...and ive heard utopias in kicks...was not impressed with the soundstage. imaging=good, soundstage=horrid
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Well at first I would try the mids only in the kicks and leave the tweets in the mirror sails. My stage is fine. Its a little above the dash and spreads all the way across. I just need my image centered.

I gotta feeling Buwalda has nothing to worry about as long as Im using a 20 foot wide truck for my vehicle but I AINT BUYING NO CIVIC!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    i call the post office and tomorrow i need to goto pick up the MMcs :)

one question abt the tweeters and crossover (i don tknow where to put that items)

the tweeter - the default tweeters are in the doors, close to the side mirror (hope you understand where i say, btw, ill post some pics later) is ok to put it there? or will be better if i modify it with fiberglass to put the tweeters oriented to my head?

and abt the crossover, is ok to put it inside the doors?
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    youll be fine with the stock tweeter locations if i know what youre talking about. the only bad thing about putting the crossovers in the doors is that they can get wet. wet+electronics=death. you can put them in the glove box, under the seats, in the trunk next to the amps...etc
    -Cody
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    its the new box :)

without fiberglass
    a.jpg

now after 2 hands of fiberglass
    b.jpg

here is where the speakers are located

c.jpg
    d.jpg

or i can try to do something like this

e.jpg
    to point it directly to my head :D

• MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    I wouldnt point them at my head. I have mine pointing at the opposite head rest and that works best.

I would either point them this way or straight across at each other. Pointing them at your head can cause localization problems.

I actually recommend you take the tweets and run some loose wire to the amp and get some double sided tape and audition several places to mount the tweets for best imaging.

Id stick the mids in the door.

• SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    the original place looks like point to the other seat, but a little lower... maybe i can modify it just inside the place where the tweeters are located, tomorrow, ill test it.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    there is no hard-and-fast rule for tweeter placement. moving it only a tiny bit can massivly change how it sounds. i'd get a friend to help move them around, angle them, just try a bunch of positions before you decide.

and for the crossover - www.sounddomain.com/id/neomagus00 shows what i did with my crossovers when i put them in my doors :)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    lol, nice... ill think abt it.