Amp Specs/Wiring Question

rbarbera75
rbarbera75 Posts: 16
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok I know that this is simple but I would just like someone to verify if I am correct. I have an amp that has the following specs

4ohm load 300Watts X 1
2ohm load 500Watts X 1

If i hook up two 4ohm subs in parallel I will get 2ohms but when I hook them up to my amp then does that mean that 250Watts will be going to each sub?

I currently have 2 MM10 Polk subs but I am thinking about taking one out. If the amp specs are correct then I would be getting an extra 50 Watts to my subs, and yes I know that they can handle 500Watts but thats the only amp that I have. So any suggestions on if I should remove one of my subs? I do have a smaller car, a civic, with the subs in the trunk. Do you think I would notice a difference if I take one sub out?

Thanks,
robert
Post edited by rbarbera75 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    with parallel, it's real easy to tell... unplug one :). it really depends, but you may like it better with only one. you'll be able to push it harder (your wattage calculations are spot on), but you're also losing overall wattage.

btw, if your subs share a box that doesn't have a center divider, you can't just unplug one, the remaining one will just flop them both around and you'll get lots of cancellation.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • SamSagaZ
    SamSagaZ Posts: 321
    edited March 2005
    mmm one question... if he use one sub intead two, we will get better sound? or just the same SQ if use one or two but more power and spl with both?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    same SQ but louder
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • rbarbera75
    edited March 2005
    well I am a little confused now. What would be the advantages of using 2 subs vs 1? I mean at this point I should just take the other sub out and put it in my new car so I can save some money. Will 1 sub be a little louder since my amp specs says that it will push it 50Watts more?
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    Nope, the two subs will probably be louder. Let's take the following scenario for example:
    1 Sub rated at 1000 Watts RMS
    1 Amp capable of 500 Watts RMS
    Let's suppose that this combination will yield 120 decibels. If you were to add another of the same sub, using the same amp, each sub would now get 250 Watts RMS, but your system would theoretically be 3 decibels louder, due to the doubled surface area. To achieve the same effect with one sub, you'd have to double the power to it.

So, to answer your question, having two subs with your set amount of power WILL be louder than just 1 sub with 50 watts more.

-Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • rbarbera75
    edited March 2005
    Ok that makes sense, but here is another question. Lets say that I am happy with my current setup with the 2 subs. Would it be possiable to get a single sub that can hand more power(and obviously a diff amp that can put out more power) and achieve the same SQ and loudeness as my current 2 subs?
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    yes
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    2 subs getting 250 watts each will sound just like 1 sub getting 250 watts each. Ive tested this several times. Ill use my MTX 8 for a while then for the hell of it toss my JL Audio box with 2 8W1's in there running off the same amp (350 watts) and although they sound a little better (cause theyre better subs and the MTX is in way too small a box) they arent any louder.

As far as getting another sub and amp will it sound the same, it depends. If you go out and get a W7 or Focal K2P sub itll probably sound better. If you get a Pyle or Audiobahn itll sound worse.

If youre happy with your current setup, why change?
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    id have to agree with austin, under the same conditions, most of the time 2 subs will be louder than 1 sub(assuming subs are the same) when running off the same power. but it'll probably be a slight, almost inaudible difference
    -Cody
  • SamSagaZ
    SamSagaZ Posts: 321
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    2 subs getting 250 watts each will sound just like 1 sub getting 250 watts each.

but 2 subs at 2 ohms with the C500.1 will sound louder than 1 at 4ohmsm right?
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    resistance(ohms) doesnt matter, what matters is watts. if watts are even, most of the time 2 subs will be louder than 1
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Right because one sub will be 250 watts total whereas 2 subs would be 500.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D