question abt my head unit Pionner

SamSagaZ
SamSagaZ Posts: 321
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
if my head unit have 50x4 is possible to connect it to get 100x2 ? :)
Post edited by SamSagaZ on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    No.

And its only 50x4 if lightning struck it.

A head unit is never more than 15 watts RMS. This is mainly due to its size.

Look at the size of the head unit and then compare it to the size of a standard 50x2 amp. The amp will be at least twice the size as the head unit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    well looks like i cant use my mmc6500 before buy the amp :(

ill try tconnecting it to the head unit, maybe it will sound better than the serie car speaker but i dont think so.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2005
    can't bridge a deck because it's not a "true" amplifier - in the sense that its internals are not set up as such - they've got pre-fabricated "amp chips" that are about the size of half to 3/4 of a stick of gum and maybe 1/4 inch thick. Due to the fact that A) you don't know which of these chips are in any given headunit B) even if you did, they sometimes vary within the same exact model from production batch to production batch and C) 9 times out of 10, once you get the data sheet on the piece of junk you find out its about 15 - 20 x 2 at 4 ohms, not stable beneath 4 ohms, and its internals - due to commonly shared grounds in most cases - prohibit bridging as you don't really have two discrete.

On the off chance that you investigated all of the above - had enough luck that your head unit's amp chip was built in such a manner that you could bridge it - and was stable at 2 ohms per channel - you'd run into the problem of it smoking in the dash from excessive heat at the decreased load.

.... someday I'd like to see a true 50 x 4 rms head unit - little baby amp strapped to the bottom of it or something - might be nice for a basic install.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    and aftermarket speakers will still sound way better than stock, even without an amp
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    well tomorrow ill get my MMC6500 ill connect it to the Head Unit hope this sounds great without the amp
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    It will sound a lot better than the stock speakers but they wont sound their best. For that theyre gonna need good power.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SamSagaZ
    edited March 2005
    nice :) hope the polks arrive soon!!!!

i cant sleep tonight :)