Polk / Miata / Crutchfield

Gempler
Gempler Posts: 307
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am looking at fitting new front door speakers in a '95 Miata. The factory opening is an odd three screw 6.75" type set up that has few perfect fit replacements (only Kenwood comes to mind). I was thinking that the Polk db650 or db675 would be a good choice but Crutchfield does not list these are compatible... not even with drilling as they suggest is necessary with other brands like Infinity. Cardomain.com says the Polk db650 fit but give no details. Anyone here have insight or suggestions on good choice and fit for a Miata?
Many thanks.
Post edited by Gempler on

Comments

• Gempler
    edited March 2005
    let me refine my questions....

does anyone know if the tweeter on the db650 sits proud of the mounting frame? and by how much?

does anyone know if the db650 has predrilled hoes that match the funky mazda 6.75" factory mount.

thank you!
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Mounting holes are a small concern. The DB570's weren't listed as being compatible with my '94 ranger, but I ordered them and found the only problem was the mounting holes. Drilled a few new holes, and I was in business :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Same here. Everybody told me the Momo 6x9's would not fit in the doors of my Ram yet with a little ingenuity and prying, they went in.

I would get the MMC6500 components or MMC650 coaxials and then go nuy a sheet of 1/4" wood from Lowes and then fabricate your own mounting plate. Its pretty simple to do.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Gempler
    edited March 2005
    thanks for the suggestions but the mmc650 most definately won't fit behind the factory door panel with integrated grill becuase of that 1/2" tweeter protrusion... it could work with the tweeter located to an alternate location with the surface mount option but that will invite trouble as i park on the street. i want a stealthier installation that is completely hidden behind the factory speaker grill so as not to attract attention. life in the big city means making comprises. and now i see that the db650 is listed as having a 3/8" tweeter protrusion so it won't fit either... the only polk option for this install would be the mmc650 with surface mount tweeter but i just can't have that tweeter hanging out and atracting the theives. my only other option would be the 5.25" ones but i can't image that they sound as full and rich as other brands 6.5" options.... oh well.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Here's an idea.

Get the MMC6500's and take both surface mounts down to your local audio shop. They can dye them to match exactly your door panel color. This will look factory stock and not like an aftermarket installation. Shouldnt cost more than $20.

Then buy an alarm! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2005
    haven't played with the exact thing you're talkin about but why not just pull out the surface mounts, lightly sand (very lightly) and spray paint to match? wouldn't cost you more than 99 cents and some paint covered fingers. women love it when i paint stuff and then run around chasing them with paint covered fingers...

ooo baby.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Gempler
    edited March 2005
    I appreciate the suggestions... but I just can't help buy perceive surface mount tweeters as anything other than magnets for thieves... it is a soft top (convertible) that I already not only leave unlocked but also leave the glove compartment hanging open and the center console compartment door open as it communicates to the thieves that there really is nothing inside... otherwise these geniuses would actually slice the top to check for coins in the console... ugh. Also, there is a quality speaker called Clearwater that is a exact fit for Miata that sells for just over $200 (similar to the Polk that has removable tweeter) so i was really just wondering about the Polk db650 that is half the price.... but i got to say that the helpfulness and sense of community around club polk is really great. Thanks again!