Still not sure on what to upgrade

Options
PRC
PRC Posts: 58
edited March 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I have a two chanel Yamaha RX-777 reciever (100w), one set of RTi8's, PSW202 sub, a 2004 basic Yamaha CDC-585 CD player, and an old Techniques EQ. Last night I turned off the EQ and the Sub and listed to Nora Jones and Pink Floyd - Mother. Without the EQ, it sound is flat, and a littled muffled, it just doesn't sound/feel alive. I typically adjust the EQ to make up the differance. I asked a similar question last week about adding Outlaw M-Block 200 amps to my system. I got some good responce. I'm and still questioning if this is my solition. I am ignorant about #'s and technical stuff, I base my decisions on how it sounds, opinion, and general prodect reviews. I have been asking around at the local dealers and I get differant opinions wherever I go. The common threds are: better speakers, amps, better speaker wire, new reviever, better CD player. I would think some, but not all of these options are necessary. I was told the reciever is a "natural sound" and Yamaha recievers run less dynamic on sound. I am trying to accomplish a crisp, clean, bold, sound. You guys told me the sound would come alive with the 2-outlaw amps, but i was also told (by a salesmen) that the amps won't change what is comming out of the yamah. If i use my "pre out/main in" terminals for amps i loose the EQ - I'm not sure if you can put an EQ on an amp let alone two mono amps. I aslo don't know if the EQ is a good idea period. I don't want to make a dumb chiose on my next purchase. Any more advice. Thanks PRC
Jolida JD1501RC -Telefunken tubes
Jolida JD9 Phono Stage
Rega P2- Dynavector 10x4 Mk.II Cartridge
Music Hall mmf cd-25
Canton Ergo 900 DC
Polk PSW404
Kimber "Timbre" IC's
Tributaries "SP4BW" - bi-wired
Post edited by PRC on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2005
    Options
    We would all like to get the absolute best possible performance out of gear and trying to find the right combination can be a daunting task I'd suggest toying with your existing gear before upgrading anything.

Have you tried different speaker placement options? How about toe-ing the speakers in a bit? Are they close to the side and rear walls, if so move them out into the room some more.

Adding a separate amp(s) can make a difference in the sound, but in a perfect world an amplifier will not color the sound, it will amplify and nothing else. That's not always the case though.

Where is your sub located? Poor placement will result in poor sound quality. Try putting the sub in your primary listening seat and walk around the room to see where it sounds the best. Once you've found the spot, that's where you put the sub.

Are your speakers set to Large or Small? Setting them to small will relieve them of having to handle the bass frequencies. You have a sub, let it handle the low-end.

Bottom line, play around with your toys. No need to go out and start spending money in an attempt to fix something that may not be broke.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • PRC
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    We would all like to get the absolute best possible performance out of gear and trying to find the right combination can be a daunting task I'd suggest toying with your existing gear before upgrading anything.

PRC - Thanks ... good ideas

Have you tried different speaker placement options? How about toe-ing the speakers in a bit? Are they close to the side and rear walls, if so move them out into the room some more.

PRC - My room layout is depiced by my wife and three kids, but it is approx. 14' deep by 18' long. the speakers are on the 14' wall approx. 7' apart. the sub is 3' to the left and facing the adjascent wall - 6" away. I have played around with this a little, but i will tweek it some more.

Adding a separate amp(s) can make a difference in the sound, but in a perfect world an amplifier will not color the sound, it will amplify and nothing else. That's not always the case though.

Where is your sub located? Poor placement will result in poor sound quality. Try putting the sub in your primary listening seat and walk around the room to see where it sounds the best. Once you've found the spot, that's where you put the sub.

Are your speakers set to Large or Small? Setting them to small will relieve them of having to handle the bass frequencies. You have a sub, let it handle the low-end.

PRC- What do you mean "set to Large or Small"??

Bottom line, play around with your toys. No need to go out and start spending money in an attempt to fix something that may not be broke.
    Jolida JD9 Phono Stage
    Music Hall mmf cd-25
    Canton Ergo 900 DC
    Polk PSW404
    Kimber "Timbre" IC's
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited March 2005
    Options
    PRC,

Remember back in the good old days when you were happy with how everything sounded.
    When certain coworkers ;) , came over and commented on how great everything sounded.
    Before elitest speaker snobs came by and made you rethink everything.
    Elitest speaker snobs with a history of running down any gear that isn't in their store.
    Elitest speakers snobs who sell Rotel one year as the greatest amp in the world and then change to NAD and run down Rotel.

Maybe your problem isn't your gear but who you choose to let in your home.

Your asking for advice from audio addicts with a passion for tweeking and retweeking. There is no one answer and any upgrade will lead to others.
    Remember your original question and the answers given were in respose to B&W vs. Polk. and the power required to drive them. And a desire for more clarity and resolution. Reciever warmth and other components were not discussed then. You are now asking broad questions with many different answers.

I suggest you remember how you felt 3 weeks ago and run away from here screaming or believe me it will get very expensive.:D
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Most receivers have a means of configuring the output signal that is sent to the various speakers. Setting a speaker(s) to Large means that all frequencies will be sent to that speaker(s). Setting them to Small means that all frequencies below the crossover point will be sent to the sub via the sub-out jack (aka - LFE). Your receiver may/should have a means of adjusting the the crossover point, start with a crossover setting of 100hz and see how it sounds.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • PRC
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by opus
    PRC,

Remember back in the good old days when you were happy with how everything sounded.
    When certain coworkers ;) , came over and commented on how great everything sounded.
    Before elitest speaker snobs came by and made you rethink everything.
    Elitest speaker snobs with a history of running down any gear that isn't in their store.
    Elitest speakers snobs who sell Rotel one year as the greatest amp in the world and then change to NAD and run down Rotel.

Maybe your problem isn't your gear but who you choose to let in your home.

Your asking for advice from audio addicts with a passion for tweeking and retweeking. There is no one answer and any upgrade will lead to others.
    Remember your original question and the answers given were in respose to B&W vs. Polk. and the power required to drive them. And a desire for more clarity and resolution. Reciever warmth and other components were not discussed then. You are now asking broad questions with many different answers.

I suggest you remember how you felt 3 weeks ago and run away from here screaming or believe me it will get very expensive.:D
    Jolida JD9 Phono Stage
    Music Hall mmf cd-25
    Canton Ergo 900 DC
    Polk PSW404
    Kimber "Timbre" IC's
  • PRC
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Most receivers have a means of configuring the output signal that is sent to the various speakers. Setting a speaker(s) to Large means that all frequencies will be sent to that speaker(s). Setting them to Small means that all frequencies below the crossover point will be sent to the sub via the sub-out jack (aka - LFE). Your receiver may/should have a means of adjusting the the crossover point, start with a crossover setting of 100hz and see how it sounds.

Thanks.
    Jolida JD9 Phono Stage
    Music Hall mmf cd-25
    Canton Ergo 900 DC
    Polk PSW404
    Kimber "Timbre" IC's
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Making sure your settings are correct makes a difference.

I would venture to say that your use of an EQ is simply your attempt to make the music sound as "live" as possible. This is done most of the time to make up for how our rooms are carpeted, draped, upholstered, etc. We boost the treble and the bass some on both ends of the spectrum to get that little bit of boom and sizzle that we think a live event would have. This gets those graphic EQs to have that "smile" look to them with the upper and lower frequencies boosted.:D :D There is nothing wrong with doing this if you like the sound better, but it isn't what was intended from the recorded material. You become "addicted" to the added highs and lows and when shut off, the recording sounds flat and lifeless, so you quickly switch it back on. Cold turkey is no way to get off the EQ addiction.

To get the most natural, enjoyable sound from your setup you might try setting the tone controls flat when you start your listening session with the voume about 3 db higher than normal to make up for the lower EQ and only adding until you hear a little difference.
    This level of EQ may not be a high as you normally listen, but should be satisfiyng. Move your speakers around to get the best possible sweet spot and imaging to make up for the missing EQ mix. Eventually you will find that good recordings don't really need EQ at all to sound good and only the worst need help.

When you get used to hearing music without the EQ, you can then start tweaking with different speaker positions, cables, wires etc. to get the sound you like most.

Then again, you may like it best when the eq is really cranked on! That is ok too!

It is ok to use an EQ, the mixing board at the recording studio wasn't set to flat when the CD was recorded!

Most important is to enjoy your music, no matter what gear you have.

Cheers,

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Dang a 12 step EQ program, that is what we need!!:D

My name is RT1...............I am a ..........................

I have been flat for ............................................
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2005
    Options
    My NAD has a "tone defeat switch". Nobody knows what it is and I don't tell them. That way I know that it will stay flat no matter how many of my family members try to "pump up" the bass.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2005
    Options
    PRC--I know your pain man. I'm a recovering treble junkie, and couldn't be happier. My cure? I bought a pre with no tone controls. It takes some getting used to, but after about a month you'll notice how much better the music sounds when frequencies are not boosted beyond thier intended levels.

It's been over a year that I've been on the wagon, and I love the more tonally balanced sound. Wean yourself off that EQ brother, you can do it...if you need support call:

1-800-0dB-trbl

You can do it, we can help...;)
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Sounds like you need new speakers...

Obviously they arnt what YOUR looking for.

You sound you would like...

Klipsch, Def Tech, Axiom, Possibly Rockets as well...

All have a 'live' sound to them...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.