10"s or 12"s

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'd like to hear a lot of ppl's opinoins on whether i should get 2 mm2104's (10") or 2 mm2124's (12") in my trunk of my honda accord LX 1995... I know i've already asked this question, but this is just basically an opinionated voting. I'm just wondering what every1 prefers because I'm really struggling whether i should get 10's or 12's. my best friend tells me 2 get 10's because they sound better, but people posting reviews for 12"s say 12's ROCK. The dude at Fry's told me to stick with 10"s because they have better SQ n taht i'd be happy with them, but other friends told me u can barely hear 2 10"s in the trunk... Would 2 10"s sound good in the trunk of a 95 accord lx?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    that can't really be answered in general. on your other thread, it was determined that, for your needs, a 12" is appropriate. this decision took into account your listening tastes, your car and its build/layout, your willingness to sacrifice space in the trunk, and how much money you wanted to spend, and on what equipment. it's simply a case-by-case thing with no hard-and-fast rules.

there are a couple rules of thumb, though (at least that i go by).
    1) depending upon the specific sub line in question, there is a certain point below which i'll say there's an sq difference between 10s and 12s. above that point, it's inaudible.
    2) 10s tend to take up less space. sometimes, you're forced into a 10 regardless of your desires because of space limitations.
    3) in a given sub line, 12s will be louder than 10s
    4) more money = more sq or spl, or both, depending on the sub lines in question. this also depends upon the listeners tastes.

i think most people follow these guidelines, if not necessarily explicitly (me included... i didn't know i had em till i wrote em down :))
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Neo gave you all the information you need so all I have to offer is my personal preference.

If theyre going to be in the car with me (i.e. hatchback, SUV) then I like 10's.

If theyre going to be in the trunk, then its 12's all the way.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D