Bridging an Amp

spackelman
spackelman Posts: 31
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just ordered my system. (see below). Neo, a fellow polkoligist, suggested I bridge the amp for the front speakers.

At the risk of showing what I don't know -

What does bridging an amp mean?

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - Crew Cab

I ordered my stuff, this is the system:

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-960MP (Electronics City.com ($399.00)

Amp: MTX Road Thunder RT404 (Car Domain.com $164.95)

Fr Speakers: Polk MMC 6500 Componets (Car Domain $299.00)

Rr Speakers: Polk db 675 (Car Domain $109.95)

I hope it all comes together as planned..

Knowledge without brains is stupid...........

Once again, thank you for any input.
Post edited by spackelman on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Bridging an amp is where you hook one speaker up to 2 channels of an amp. This puts the entire power of the amp into that one channel.

I perconally dont like this cause, as mentioned, it makes the amp work at 100% which usually translates into more heat and distortion.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    You guys are scaring me, (but I do thank you for that).

Once installed, I guess I can figure it out.

At this point, I just need to know if I should order a different amp.

Or, do I have to do the bridge thing?
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    I suggest ordering a new amp. Check out your other thread. I stuck some recommendations on good, cheap amps.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    Got the post - thanks

For another $25, I will go for it.

Any other ideas??

Need all the advise I can get.

Doug
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    About the only thing I would change would be to get Momo rear speakers. Its always best to have the same type of speakers and there is a difference in the sound of DB and Momo's. Plus the Momo is a better speaker all around.

After that, looks like youre set. Just make sure to install properly and use good cables and wiring.

• spackelman
    edited March 2005
    Which momo's, your not talking about components for the rear doors are you?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    no, he's referring to the MMC650 set. coax, just better. and they will blend with your fronts much more cleanly.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    I hope you don' t work for the system - lol -

Thanks for the help
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by spackelman
    I hope you don' t work for the system
    i don't get it... i don't work for the gov't...?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    When I say the system, I mean internet plants (ip).

People who are paid to be on these forums and advise to go for high end stuff that is simply not needed.
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    Guys - Thank You so much for Your Help!

Upgraded the amp to the Pheonix Gold and the rear speakers to Polk MMC 650.

The new sound will provide results.

Will update

Thanks Again
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    cool! and no, polk doesn't do that (as far as i know)... if you look around, you'll see polk being rec'd if appropriate, other companies if not. i endorse polk cause i adore my mm6/300.2 setup! :D

• spackelman
    edited March 2005
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2005
    RE - bridging fronts
    i've had my fronts bridged for years now... run some sick 200 something watts per side... it doesn't make the amp work any harder than if you had bridged it to run subs off of it. There is nothing wrong with briding an amp - if you own a good quality amp with a beefy power supply, then you're not going to have a problem - while I love MTX, the road thunder stuff is not something I'd go messing around with - you may very well cook it inadvertantly. My old Blue Thunder 754 - which historically ran hot with single 4 ohm loads on each channel - has been running at 4 ohms bridged (read: 2 ohms per channel) for a long time now - hot as hell but never gives me troble - and she's got about 4 coats of paint on her from rebuilding it and "restoring" it.

RE - DB speakers
    The Polk DB junior speakers have very good bass/midbass response, but are kind of weak on trebble.

As mentioned above - I think its the tweeter as well... just not as "sensitive" as others I guess.

But see - if all 4 of your speakers are polk db juniors then you can easily just dial up your trebble on your deck and it's fine... sounds absolutely beautiful.

But if you've got say Momo's up front, or old DX's like me - and db's in the back - then you have to pick a medium happy point because if you raise the trebble too much the fronts sound like crap.

I noticed this when trying to re-tune my setup - faded to rear and heard NO trebble (well almost none) and was all worried that something was broken - dialed up the trebble maybe 3 clicks on the deck and sure as **** it was BEAUTIFUL sounding. So I kind of found a happy point between front and rear and got it so I'm pleased with it.

I do reccomend sticking with speaker series through the vehicle (not subs - just the 4 regular speakers) - as even speakers from the same company will sound different from series to series - and that makes tuning harder and can make someone think that a really good speaker isn't as good as it is.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    No we're not paid to be on here we just have no lives and have nothing else to do! :(

But me and Neo are the only regulars left with Polk gear so I guess we do look suspicious.

I still prefer not to bridge for fronts. Although its not in danger of killing the amp I still think its better SQ wise to have the amp running as cool as possible. Plus Im a much bigger advocate of bi-amping rather than bridging.

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited March 2005
    I've still got all my polk stuff, just not currently using it. If I didnt have to use my big amp on my new comps, I'd have my DX12 in the back, but for now, I've got no bass...:(
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2005
    dx 12 = pimpin

retro gives me an emotionally woody
  • spwuinmk67
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    dx 12 = pimpin

retro gives me an emotionally woody

Ewww...I'll remember that next time I mention it, lol
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    But me and Neo are the only regulars left with Polk gear so I guess we do look suspicious.
    Hey, I have MM6's up front and dB650's in the back. And I'm -kinda- a regular. I check in at least every other day, usually every day during the week.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    true... but my post count is bigger than your post count... :p

i think there's a couple others out there that don't check in as often; i'm just glued to a laptop 24/7... the wonders of going to the most extensively-wired university in the nation...:rolleyes:

• spwuinmk67
    edited March 2005
    I just get bored at work so I come on, usually nothing good to input, so I stay quiet.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    i have polks in my dads truck...and if i dont get this job at the car audio place ill have polk in my g/fs car...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2005
    my recent frequent absences aside - my post count is quite very high - at the tops of this portion of the board - and i still do run 16 polk speakers - as soon as the 88 is done, it's going to be all polk also - keeping with its heritage. i'm even considering straying away from mtx amps for that install (dare i say it) for the polk amps.

why? i haven't seen anything "earth shattering" out of mtx lately - and the polk amps look better (a comment that only applies when the robustness of the electrical components is known to be of a high grade - which in this case, both companies are).

i dont need a gillion watts in there either...

two C300.2's bridged on subs and a 4 channel outa do me good.
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    what about their new 22" 10,000 watt sub??
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    duh, he doesn't need a "gillion" watts :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2005
    you are so white
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    you are so white
    thats funny, i dont care who ya are
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    i'm even considering straying away from mtx amps for that install (dare i say it) for the polk amps.

why? i haven't seen anything "earth shattering" out of mtx lately - and the polk amps look better (a comment that only applies when the robustness of the electrical components is known to be of a high grade - which in this case, both companies are).

two C300.2's bridged on subs and a 4 channel outa do me good.

I hear ya brother. Im not real turned on by the latest MTX amps either. They sure do look funky. I have however been more and more impressed with Polk amps the more reviews I read and the more I figit with them at Tweeter.

I agree that both Polk and MTX have exceptional build quality and make power well beyond their ratings. Im gonna reserve judgement on MTX amps tho for a while. They claim to be using a lot of Xtant technology in the new Thunders and Xtant are at the top of my short list for amps.

• exalted512
    edited March 2005
    Xtant still aint what they used to be though...
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    *sigh*

Youre just itchin' for a fight arent you?! :p