macleod!!!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
thanks for your input so lets say i have two 4channel amps and a precisionpower frx456 what you are saying is that 4 tweeters come from one 4ch. and the mids from the other 4ch. then will i be able to seperate the speakers??? thanks allot
also how come when i want to post a new thread it acts as if i am already logged in and wont let me so i chang my name a little help
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Yes. If you want to run an active crossover on 4 sets of components speakers your best setup would be to use 2 4 channel amps.

However this is going to be a voltage hog and take up a lot of space and if you ever want to get a sub its gonna make things difficult.

Personally I say just stick with the crossovers supplied and use a single 4 channel amp. I think youll find the SQ differences between an active and passive unit are pretty small.

Plus this goes along with the #1 rule in car audio, especially for SQ: Keep it Simple. :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    i would disagree with mac on this one. i'd vote for the dual-amp setup. with an active crossover, you can control the exact crossover frequency, something you can't do with passives. for example, my speakers are xovered at 3500 Hz, and there is a nasty resonance there (needed a -3 on the eq!). if i could raise that by even 500 Hz, it'd help a lot. also, depending upon your wiring scheme, an active crossover can pay for itself in RCAs alone! plus, you're putting out the same number of watts whether you use 1 or 2 amps, so the electrical difference is negligible.

and, finally, i don't think you'd find it difficult to add a sub amp later. if you install the first two properly, with distribution blocks for both power and ground, i think you'd find that a new amp will practically install itself.

and the sq keep-it-simple rule applies only to looks - ever seen a tuned 31-band eq?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00

and the sq keep-it-simple rule applies only to looks - ever seen a tuned 31-band eq?

LOL!!!

Good point!

:confused:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • frankg702
    frankg702 Posts: 9
    edited March 2005
    thanks i already have a hifoniks bx1500d for two alum12q subs about space none the sherwood amp is 22 inches long for my mids and plan to run a pyle for the tweets
    i am thinking on using the xover supplied with the components for the mids since the sherwood amp dosent have onboard crossovers and the pyle amp for the tweeters since it does let me know???
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    translation, if anyone else found that hard to decipher:

Hifonics BX1500D into two Audiobahn ALUM12Q subs. He's concerned that his mid amp, a 22" long Sherwood, won't... um... i'm not sure what the concern is. He wants to run a pyle to the tweets, and it has an xover, while the Sherwood doesn't. He thus plans to use the Sherwood for the mids and the proposed Pyle for the tweets.

OK, now that i know what you're saying... NO PYLE! very bad! tweets don't need a buttload of power, but it does need to be clean. we'll come back to this. that frx-456 means that you don't need any crossover capability on your amp, the frx takes care of it all. so you're left with a couple options.

1) don't biamp the rears, only the fronts. you can do this with the 456 and your current sherwood, though if at all possible, upgrade the amp, cause it probably isn't doing justice to the momo components you're running.

2) get a second amp, not pyle or anything of the sort, and the 456 and biamp both the fronts and the rears.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs