x-overs??

frankg702
frankg702 Posts: 9
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
i am currently running a set of 6.5"polk momo components,db 5.25 polk components havent connected my new amp to them yet it is a older sherwood xat440q it has no internal high pass or low pass xover and was wondering can i bypass the xovers that came with the polk components and ourchase a new xover unit and second what type of xover will handle my 4 tweeters and 4 mid drivers,
Post edited by frankg702 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    I assume youre talking about an active unit. If so, you wont be able to with that amp. An active x-over crosses the frequency going into an amp channel (i.e. front or rear). For this to work you would need dedicated channels for each tweeter and each mid. If you ran front speakers only you would bi-amp your components by running the tweets off the front channels and the mids off the rears. The x-over would cross the input to the front at say 3500+ Hz and the rears at 3500- Hz.

I guess you could if you ran all 4 tweeters off the 2 front channels and all 4 mids off the rear 4 channels but this would sound like crap having the rears as high as your fronts.

I suggest either using the passive units that came with the speakers or dumping the rear speakers and bi-amp the fronts. Or you can always buy another 4 channel amp.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D