Cycling (hey Bob!)

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Is anyone out there interested in cycling? I'm a bike mountain bike fanatic myself. I've worked in a shop for 5 years, too. Bob, what kind of cycling do you do?

Aaron
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Hi Aaron,

I'm a roady only, same with my motorcycling.
  • Aaron
    edited August 2001
    Options
    So what kind of road bike do you have? Since I worked at a shop I test road a few road bikes. It's pretty amazing how much faster they are on the road compared to a mountain bike, not to mention how retardedly light they are. There for awhile I had my mind made up that I was going to buy one. That pretty much went out the window when I broke my mountain bike frame and bought a new mountain bike.

Aaron
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2001
    Options
    As I said I build my own so...

My main ride right now I built with:

A "Marinoni" 55cm Columbus Steel tubed racing frame and fork; "Mavic" Open Pro SUP wheels; "Hutchinson" Superlite Krono Gold tires; "Shimono" Ultegra front hub and nine speed rear hub; Ultegra 12-25 nine speed cassette; Ultegra headset; Ultegra bottom bracket; Ultegra nine speed rear derailleur; Ultegra 175mm cranks; Ultegra 39 & 53 chain rings; "Sampson" clipless pedals; "Campagnolo" Chorus front derailleur; "Shimono" Dura-Ace seat post; Dura-Ace narrow, nine speed chain; Dura-Ace nine speed shifters, which are attached to the end of a "Profile" Aero Bar via their swift shift kit; "SR SAKAE" custom handle bar & stem; "Ciclolinea" cork bar wrapping; "Advent" Chromoly seat; "Shimono" RX100 brakes; "Shimono" cables; The rear wheel is covered with a "CHAERO" disk aero cover; and of course, it's equiped with a dual pickup cycle computer, a "CATEYE" Astrale. I use "Shimono" shoes with the "Sampson" cleats.
    Have I forgotten anything?

I have a good selection of "Park" cycle tools in my garage along with a "Blackburn" work stand and tool tray, and a "Blackburn" windtrainer TRAKSTAND stays in the house.

A project still in the works is based on a Renolds Aluminum frame and fork with ......... I'll spare everone! (I have three others too!)
  • Aaron
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I've never heard of Marinoni, actually. That doesn't say much, though, since I'm a mountain biker. We sell Cannondale, Trek, and Klein road bikes at my shop. My favorite of that group was the Trek OCLV carbon bikes. The one I was looking to get was the 5200, which is has a full Ultegra group and Rolf wheels. I liked how it road. I'm a sucker for carbon, though.

My previous mountain bike I built. It's definitely a lot of fun picking and choosing every little part of the bike. I'm a weight freak, so I go for the lightest stuff I can get my hands on. Thankfully I don't weigh very much so I generally don't break the stuff, except my last frame (may it rest in peace)....

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Try this website, you'll get a better luck there...
    http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/
    PN:)
  • BobMcG
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Marinoni was a racing frame builder from Italy, as the name would suggest. Years ago he moved himself and his operation to Canada where he still builds high-end racing frames/forks.
    A friend of mine who works in an area bike shop bought the frame off another friend who was on the Marinoni Racing Team. At one point he was hired by another team to race their brand. He stripped and sold the frame/fork to my buddy and a while later he stripped and sold it to me. (After I bugged him enough for it.)
    It's a $1,000 frame, but it's not one of their more expensive frames any more. I've been using it for five years now and I'm very pleased with it.
    Even with the added weight of the disk cover, aero bar and it's extra cable lengths, and the cyclometer, the bike only weighs 21lbs.