Might as well by IC's on looks....

Options

Comments

• 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Polkthug, I have three sets of them. They are only $40 a pair which is the cheapest I have seen for silver coated coppers.... The first 2 pair I bought did not have a sticker telling me they were locking. I thought what a poor design..as they were very tight.... when I bought my third, it had a sticker explaining the lock feature....duh is me...Of the cables I have tried so far, I like the Knukoncepts and IXOS the most. Hoping to try some audioquest in the future....
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited March 2005
    Options
    just a little more fun for the discussion:
    http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
    (this guy was an engineer for McIntosh for awhile)

Again, I'd like to see the results of a double blind and personally, I'd put my money on you guys not being able to pick out your own wires.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I now feel I belong to the "if you can't hear the difference in cables..your system is ****" camp. and speaking of ****...
    Must be the hampster wheel in those low grade receivers that limits your ability to hear any difference.
    Nice...:o

So do you have to work at offending people, or does it just come naturally to you?

I don't have a high end system by any means, but I have a decent set up and I can hear the difference between cables, just for the record, so I'm a supporter of trying different cables.

HOWEVER, I have a wife, two brothers and several friends who hear absolutely no difference? So does that mean my system is crap? NO, it just means they can't hear a difference. Maybe it's a limitation with their hearing ability, maybe they don't know what to listen for, or maybe my ears or just too sensitive...who knows.

But to make a broad statement like 'if you don't hear a difference, then your system sucks' just doesn't make any sense IMO. There are a multitude of factors that can influence how we hear something. I GUARANTEE you that you build the highest system in the world, let me pick five sets of cables and let me pick a room to put it in and I can a scenario where you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between cables... A bit extreme and unrealistic??? Sure, but so is that comment in my opinion...
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I want part of that action UNC!!
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Those weren't my words Polkmaniac...I wasn't suggesting that you or anyone else that owned a receiver had a **** system.
    I was being sarcastic to some of the post that were suggesting someone wasn't hearing a difference because they owned a receiver instead of seperates.
    I was gladly being sacastic...and happily so... for such idiotic comments !!
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Pulls up another chair. Hiya guys whatcha drinkin?:D
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Hey, is this seat next to you taken?
    :D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2005
    Options
    pulls up a bed, this debate always makes me sleepy
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    pulls up a bed, this debate always makes me sleepy

There's one on power cords and one on amps over at AVS if that is more energetic..
    ;)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Chinese Buffet today, office is too warm, man I am about to take a nap.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hey, is this seat next to you taken?
    Have a seat!

Pulls up another chair. Hiya guys whatcha drinkin?
    Cheap wine, gotta save up for a decent system so I can hear my cables.;)
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I heard differences in cables in my primary rig as well as in my Onkyo reciever/Sony CD player.......
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Cheap wine, gotta save up for a decent system so I can hear my cables.;)

Oh geez! That made me laugh hard enough that co-workers were asking if I was OK!

Oh hey, if the cheap wines doesn't help you hear your cables, maybe you should use the Force? Or maybe, just maybe...the SCHWARTZ!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • cfrizz
    edited March 2005
    Options
    ROFLOL!!!! Oh geez. At least this time I didn't have any water in my mouth to spray my monitor with!:D :D

" Cheap wine, gotta save up for a decent system so I can hear my cables.;) [/B][/QUOTE]
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Free BBQ challenge still stands!!* If you can pick your interconnect vs $6 interconnect, free meal on me and cold keg beer.

Thought I would bump this since there are a lot more KC area polkies now.

Cheers

*interconnects with capacitors and/or resistors or other circuitry linking the two signal wires are excluded. Outright defective or tampering does not count.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'll accept the challenge if we can barbecue this horse once and for all.;)
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'll accept the challenge if we can barbecue this horse once and for all.;)

*In my best Homer voice* Mmmmmm Barbecue Ahhhhhh
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2006
    Options
    If you cannot hear a difference, count yourself lucky.

Some of us are less(?) fortunate....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Yea...we know....hate cables, drive Mustang...blah blah.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Yea...we know....hate cables, drive Mustang...blah blah.

I just ran over one with my Mustang. I 'll start a thread and post the video. ;)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2006
    Options
    If you can't hear the difference it would be silly to spend money on anything more than a good build quality cable or more resolving equipment.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2006
    Options
    No debate, not trying to change anyone elses beliefs, just my own.
    I just want to see anybody be able to distiguish a difference in front of me, so I'm offering BBQ and beer for some local polkies.

If they can, that would be awesome. The next step would to see if it would be possible for them to train me to be a better listener (but as many have alluded, this could also be a curse).

Cheers
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'd be interested in the specs ie ability of the program and measuring equipment you used to resolve minute differences in fequency/amplitude/harmonics.
    I'd like to see similiar sweeps done on a high end Hewlett Packard Spectrum analyzer.
    Of course the ultimate test is the human ear in blind tests, after all it is about the sound, but it would be nice to be able to statistically quantify the difference just the same.
    For the record I have never done tests against high end cables. I tend to use average cost well constructed interconnects such as low end audioquests, monster, belkin Pure AV.
    I'd love to just watch the listening tests with people doing blind comparisons, and I'll happily pay for my share of beer and bar-b-que. :)
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • PolkThug
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Zen Dragon wrote:
    I'd be interested in the specs ie ability of the program and measuring equipment you used to resolve minute differences in fequency/amplitude/harmonics. ....

I'll happily pay for my share of beer and bar-b-que. :)

Behringer ECM8000
    Behringer Eurorack UB802
    TrueRTA Level 4

This was the equipment recommended to me by Dr. Spec. Its very resolving to the smallest fraction of a db.

Beer is always free at my place. :)
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2006
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    I just ran over one with my Mustang. I 'll start a thread and post the video. ;)

Or take it to the strip and throw it out the window at 100+ :)

Beer? hmmmmmm
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    Behringer ECM8000
    Behringer Eurorack UB802
    TrueRTA Level 4

This was the equipment recommended to me by Dr. Spec. Its very resolving to the smallest fraction of a db.

All the info on the net seems to suggest the software is good for what is does.
    PolkThug wrote:
    Beer is always free at my place. :)

Now there is a gracious and classy host. Wish I was closer to Kansas.
    (He must be making it up on the markup on the bar-b-que) ;)
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited May 2006
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:

Bah...silly ponies. Here is the Doc's car:

transam.jpg

Picture taken by the bay near my favorite restuarant. Love living in paradise.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Umm...I meant ...uh...interconnects. Bar-b-que! uh.... sorry...

Sorry about the slight derail.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • cfrizz
    edited May 2006
    Options
    OOOOH purty!
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited May 2006
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    Ok, I've gotten some good feedback here, and for that I thank everyone.

So, what about the closed loop testing? There is no amplification or speakers after the signal passes through the interconnect, yet the sonic signature is the same. A cable that has "better bass" or is "bright" should show a difference.
    PT

PT, I am still on the fence with IC's and have been that way for 15 years. I don't believe that a 6$ IC can be of high enough tolerance, but I don't believe you need 900$ ones either. I've made my own IC's, given them to an audiophile friend, had him sing their praise, and then proceeded to tell him that they cost me 20$ to make. So, I'm with you to a point on the necessity of high end IC's. I dig the 30-80 range and won't pay any more.

As for your measurements, your RT analyzers resolution is 1/24th Octave and is only measuring amplitude vs frequency which essentially only flat-maps a three dimentional variable. These limitations might show that "lamp cord" of similar conductivity may have very similar readings. With these limitations you won't get 10% of the information required to produce anything approaching a "sonic signature". I do admire your approach though.

Crankin the new TOOL CD, no 'tool' references in any flames, please.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited May 2006
    Options
    PolkThug wrote:
    Ok, I've gotten some good feedback here, and for that I thank everyone.

So, what about the closed loop testing? There is no amplification or speakers after the signal passes through the interconnect, yet the sonic signature is the same. A cable that has "better bass" or is "bright" should show a difference.
    PT

PT, I am still on the fence with IC's and have been that way for 15 years. I don't believe that a 6$ IC can be of high enough tolerance, but I don't believe you need 900$ ones either. I've made my own IC's, given them to an audiophile friend, had him sing their praise, and then proceeded to tell him that they cost me 20$ to make. So, I'm with you to a point on the necessity of high end IC's. I dig the 30-80 range and won't pay any more.

As for your measurements, your RT analyzers resolution is 1/24th Octave and is only measuring amplitude vs frequency which essentially only flat-maps a three dimentional variable. These limitations might show that "lamp cord" of similar conductivity may have very similar readings. With these limitations you won't get 10% of the information required to produce anything approaching a "sonic signature". I do admire your approach though.

Crankin the new TOOL CD, no 'tool' references in any flames, please.
    -Ignorance is strength -