MTX amp bought for door speakers. now sub amp? (56K WARNING!!!!)

sidespin
sidespin Posts: 25
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Macleod, thanks for the advice on MTX amps, as the more I read up on them, they really were getting rave reviews, so I decided that was a good choice. I just bought the MTX Audio Thunder564 for my door speakers, Polk DB6500 components and Polk EX357. I think this amp would be great for my speakers. Power is slightly lower for my components as they can handle up to 100wRMS, but my rear can only handle 60wRMS. But, from what i hear, the power is all clean, so I will be fine. Also, I'm going from my stock HU on my car to this amp, so power difference will be much greater and sound better.

Here are a few of the specs.

RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 70W x 4 @ 14.4V

Ok, my one question is I'm going to get an 8" Polk MM2084. It only runs @ 4 ohms, but most of the subwoofer mono amps only seem to run @ 2 ohms. I would have to get a 2-channel amp then?

Also, if anyone can explain the difference between Single Voice Coil and Dual Voice Coil, I would greatly appreciate it. I've read a little, and it seems that having 1 more voice coil produces more high notes or produces something more? lol. I'm not sure if I should get one or the other. I'm also putting this sub in a custom enclosure.

Here's a pic: I bought this from a forum member in the Mazda forums I'm a part of. Sweeeeet!
customenclosure2.jpg
customenclosure1.jpg
Fronts: Monitor 60
Rears: Polk R-15
Center: Polk CS1
Sub: Polk PSW303
AVR: Denon AVR 1804
TV: 43" Samsung DLP
Post edited by sidespin on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    A single voice coil sub has a single 4 ohms voice coil.

A dual voice coil sub has 2 voice coils usually 4 ohms each.

The benefit to DVC subs is that you can operate an amp at a 2 ohm mono load with a single sub. This is only necessary if youre going to use a mono amp. A 2 channel amp is usually only stable to a 4 ohm mono load which is what youd get by hooking up a SVC sub to it whereas a mono amp can run 2 ohm mono loads all day long and some go to 1 ohm mono.

The benefit to running a mono amp is that they can make a tremendous amount of power in a much smaller size than a stereo amp would require. Also the 2 ohm mono thingy. With a mono (Class D) amp you can run 2 SVC subs.

Polk makes a DVC sub in all the sizes so you could run a Class D amp to one. They also handle twice the power so a DVC 2084 would handle 400 watts (200 per coil) which is quite a load.

First Id recommend going with a MM2104. 10's are more musical than 8's in my opinion and can still pack a punch. Then its a question of how much power you want. The SVC 10 will handle 300 where the DVC 10 will take 600. If you want the extra power then get the MM2104DVC and then look for a Class D amp that puts out 600x1 at 2 ohms. The Polk 500.1 is perfect. It puts out a little over 600 watts at 2 ohms and would match that sub perfect.

Also, that MTX puts out quite a bit more than 70x4. More like 90+. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sidespin
    sidespin Posts: 25
    edited March 2005
    I'm only looking at the 8" subs, because the custom enclosure I bought for my hatch can only fit an 8" sub.

Being the amateur I am, I bought the MTX amp thinking that it had speaker level inputs, but it didn't. I now have to buy a LOC. I think most of the LOC come only for 2 channels? I wanted to amp all 4 of my door speakers, but I'm thinking I may have to buy 2 LOC to do this, if they only output for 2 channels. Is there a LOC that outputs for 4 channels? I read that David Navone makes great LOC.

www.davidnavone.com

So, the DVC 8" Polk sub, would actually handle 400wRMS, where as the SVC 8" Polk would handle 200wRMS? Wouldn't Polk list that as their specs for Watts RMS then? I didn't understand this part, unless they assumed that this was obvious. Also, Would the DVC be bigger then in size, like magnet-wise?

That would mean I would have to find a 400wRMS amp for the DVC, but only a 200wRMS for the SVC?
    Fronts: Monitor 60
    Rears: Polk R-15
    Center: Polk CS1
    Sub: Polk PSW303
    AVR: Denon AVR 1804
    TV: 43" Samsung DLP
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    According to Kim, the 200 watt rating is PER COIL which would be 400 total. However this seems to contradict all the literature.

Josh or Kim, feel free to jump in here and clear this up.

Look to Radio Shack for a line level converter as well however you REALLY should look into upgrading your head unit. They are so cheap these days there is really no reason not to.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D