I need help

okstatefan
okstatefan Posts: 9
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
i have a couple questions about sound systems. I drive a 98' Jeep cherokee and unfortunately blew my stock speakers. I havent modified anything since i got my car and i dont know what i should buy to fix this.

I dont need anything too flashy or expensive but on the other end i really dont want crappy equipment either. Could anyone offer any help as to what i should look for, for my jeep and a price estimate would be helpful.

thank you in advance for any help.

fan
Post edited by okstatefan on

Comments

• Big10Fan
    Big10Fan Posts: 63
    edited March 2005
    I'm not big on advice, but I do know the pros need more into than that. Do you want coaxials/components/amped or not/subs? do you have an aftermarket h/u?what size speakers can you fit in your doors?(goto www.crutchfield.com and enter vehicle info, or i think the polk site has something) what are you looking for from the upgrade? what will be enough for you? what have you heard and whatd you think?
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited March 2005
    Unless you have the skills to do an install yourself, I would find my way to Ultimate Electronics or Circuit City to get advice. You can't be sure you blew your speakers or your head unit unless you have tested this. If you just need replacement speakers, and aren't into a full blown upgrade, they can help you out.

As always, your budget defines your options.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    First off Im not entirely sure youve blown your speakers. Usually stock head units dont have near enough power, even when clipping, to blow even the lowly OEM speakers. If one stopped playing Id say you may have but if they all have quit then something else is wrong. Give us some more information and perhaps we can help you troubleshoot the problem and get it fixed.

That being said, it aint a bad idea to upgrade to some "real" speakes. You wouldnt believe the difference. For replacement speakers on a budget you cannot beat Polk's DB line. They make virtually every size imaginable so Im sure you could find the ones that fit your rig. You can go here and plug in your info and see what speakers are for you. Then if you were to upgrade your head unit to an aftermarket one, not a $1000 unit but a nice $150 one and the difference would be night and day.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • okstatefan
    edited March 2005
    your probably right on the fact that i didnt blow them seeing as how i dont "really" know what the term "blowing" them means.

It may have to do with the fact that if i use any bass what so ever the speakers start to buzz and make noises they arent supposed to make. I cant really describe the noise off the top of my head. Yah i'd say that my budget would be around $500-700 dollar range.

its a 98 jeep cherokee if that helps. stock infinity system.

fan
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited March 2005
    My brother lives in OKC if you need any help picking out stuff and installing it. He's done a little bit with car audio installation. If you need to get in contact with him, just PM me.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

It is always nice to see another Cowboys fan around here. We can't say much during the fall, but come winter and spring, we shine.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited March 2005
    The Infinity system isn't the lowest level of units put into Jeeps but they weren't made to push lots of bass. You may be vibrating panels, window mechanisms or any other loose items in the door panel area. Do some research as to what size speakers will fit your model over on the Crutchfield or Polk site. My experience with the higher level factory units recalls that they don't usually take well to speaker upgrades but I am not familiar with the Chrysler/Infinity systems.

Good luck,

DG
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • okstatefan
    edited March 2005
    thanks yeah im die hard poke fan.

about the speakers. it looks like i can fit 5 1/4 inch speakers in the back and front. nothing too big though. 6 1/4 if i get some adjuster things but i doubt i would need that.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    you can get this setup:
    Polk MMC 525 coaxials
    Pioneer DEH-P80MP head unit
    MTX Thunder 342 amp
    Knukonceptz wiring kit

Grand Total (minus shipping and tax): ~$590 (this should be absolutely everything you need to do the install... open the boxes and go to town... cept there's only 20 feet of speaker wire, but that's dirt cheap if you need more).

This setup has a rather good Pioneer headunit, for two reasons. First, it's discounted at cardomain.com right now. Second, three hi-volt preouts and good controls make it easy to upgrade later if you want (and you probably will want :)). If you want to go over $700 (namely to around $800) you can get the MMC Components, which are polk's top of the line speakers (for the moment!). for your requirements, this is probably unnecessary.

2 things to note:
    1) i've left you without rear speakers. Running only fronts provides the best sound quality. If you need more volume (i don't know how noisy jeeps are) you'll have to go over your budget to stay at the same level of sound quality. your choice.

2) if you want a sub, i think it'll be tough to do it properly within that budget, but we can try if you want.

final note to the forum: he has a relatively premium stock system, but as he's installing all new equipment, that needn't be a concern, correct?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by Dennis Gardner
    Unless you have the skills to do an install yourself, I would find my way to Ultimate Electronics or Circuit City to get advice. You can't be sure you blew your speakers or your head unit unless you have tested this. If you just need replacement speakers, and aren't into a full blown upgrade, they can help you out.

As always, your budget defines your options.
    circuit city and getting advice should not be in the same sentence...ever...
    i second what mac said
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    circuit city and getting advice should not be in the same sentence...ever...

LMAO!!!

Its a damn shame too. Back about 1990, Circuit City had the BEST installers in town, at least here in Chatty.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D