mmc6500's in 2000 Civic SI

rhawb
rhawb Posts: 3
edited April 2005 in Custom Fabrication
hello everyone, newbie to this site and seeking advice. Anyone install a pair of polk mmc6500's in their front doors? Is there any way to get the speakers in and still being able to use the stock speaker covers? Also, any good ideas on how to install the tweeter nicely? Didn't do to well on my install and wanna fix it. Any ideas would be great. Someone wanna help me?

thx in advance,
Rhawb
Post edited by rhawb on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    The mids should just drop right in your doors and then the door panels should cover them and look completely stock.

Give us some more info on what youre problem is and we can give you better advice.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • rhawb
    edited March 2005
    let's see here... when i pulled out the stock speakers there was a bit of plastic covering the hole, so i picked up a dremel and cut that section out (so far I only worked on 1 door). I put the inside of the door back in and tried fitting the speaker and it would still hit the metal part of the door with the plastic part of the speaker that's silver. so I put the spacer that came with it but now I can't put in the stock speaker cover.

As for the tweeter, the stock tweeter had a screwin the back that held it in place, however the polk tweeter do not. I was running out of time so i just zip tied the speaker wire to it's surroundings (extremely ghetto and temporary). The speakers come with 2 different tweeter mounts but don't look like they would fit in my tweeter inclosure.

Okay, what do you guys have for me. Someone out there must have the same problem I do. My friend just told me yesterday that another company makes spacers for this set that are only 0.5' thick instead of 1 inch. which could be a solution. Anyone hear know about that?

any help would be great...

thx,
    Rob
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    I would say youd be much better off running down to Lowes and picking up some plywood. You can get 1/4" or 1/2" or whatever you need and build your own spacer custom fit to your need for about $3!

As for the tweeters, the surface mount has a hole in the back for a screw. Thats how mine is mounted.

I dont know Civics but do they have a seperate speaker cover in the door? Most cars, the speaker cover is part of the door panel and it all fits on together. Yours has a seperate cover that fits on after the door panel is put back?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • rhawb
    edited March 2005
    the tweeter has it's own piece that it mounts to next to the window. looks like a little triangle with a hole. the polk tweeter won't fit in there, which is a bummer. that's where my problem lies, the extra stuff polk gives is too big to even fit in that little hole.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    if you dremel out the unnecessary bits of the mounting cup, you might be able to fit it.

but yeah, making a mounting ring of your own is a much better idea.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    You can surface mount it.

• JDMCivicB16B
    JDMCivicB16B Posts: 67
    edited April 2005
    I had the same problem with my Civic...you might want to think about doing custom door pods..its one of my projects i am doing in the future.

But, I found out that those 6500s wont fit, but DBs will...right now i have DBs in there and they fit perfect with cover over. but i want to swap in the 6500s in the near future
    '95 Civic EX
    dbs in front stage
    Type-Rs in back
    MTX T202
    10inch PolkMOMO sub
    Kenwood HU
    Kenwood KAC amp

'00 s2k ....
    Pioneer AVIC-N2
    MMC6500 x 2
    JL 300/2
    (still pending..)