NAD Silver Series S200?

Options
marker
marker Posts: 1,084
edited March 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Hey guys, I don't really have that one just kick **** power amp yet. I have a chance to get one of these used for $820 shipped from a very reputable seller:

www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/s200_framset.htm

Worth it? I can't seem to find too much information about them, other than it's supposed to be NAD's top line series made in Europe.
Post edited by marker on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Finally some gear from NAD that looks nice. :)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited March 2005
    Options
    They retailed for about $2,000. I'd jump on it,Saturday Audio has new units still for about $1,300. B-stock for around $1,100.
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited March 2005
    Options
    You can wade through these reviews : http://www.audioreview.com/Amplifiers/NAD/PRD_116022_1583crx.aspx

I tend to prefer real world reviews if I can find them.
    A lot of chaff sometimes but usually nothing to be gained/lossed by a consumer doing a review.
    That S200, for the money, can't see where you could go wrong
    good looks(if a little understated), 56lbs. of serious hoss there with the ability to carry any load you could conceivably throw at it.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2005
    Options
    That's a very nice piece, and was a serious contender for me when I was looking at Integrated's. I've seen them at that price even a year ago, just FYI.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut

All NAD's are beautiful, such a sweet tone, I close my eyes and she is anyone I want her to be!!!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited March 2005
    Options
    go-nads.....:D

sorry...I just self imposed a 15 min wake-up period before logging on , or touching any keyboards....

carry on gentlemen....
    my bad....
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • bigsexy1
    bigsexy1 Posts: 557
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Marker, I have the S250 NAD 5 channel amp. It is rated at 200 watts x 2, or 125 x 5.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 2 channel S200 weighs even more than the 5 channel amp.

I love mine, best amp I have ever had out of too many to list over the years. I got it new from Saturday Audio as someone already mentioned for $999.

I saw where you have NHT T5s, is that what you will be using it with? Mine mates well with my NHT T6 system.
  • marker
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Thanks for the replys guys. I went ahead and bought it, though I still haven't received it yet.

Dorokusai, what did you wind up getting instead if you don't mind my asking?

BS1, I don't have T5, I have M5 on their matching pedastal stands with dual stacked SVS subs instead. Actually, I was getting this amp for my pair of RTi12. Congtratulations to you on the T6 getting a Stereophile class A rating in the latest issue.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Marker - I actually went with a custom amp instead. I really like NAD gear overall, and will definetly pick up something from them again at some point.

It's a very nice choice, you won't be disappointed. Let us know how you like it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut

Let me ruin that for you Jesse: Looks just like the $85 TEAC!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • bigsexy1
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by marker
    Thanks for the replys guys. I went ahead and bought it, though I still haven't received it yet.

Dorokusai, what did you wind up getting instead if you don't mind my asking?

BS1, I don't have T5, I have M5 on their matching pedastal stands with dual stacked SVS subs instead. Actually, I was getting this amp for my pair of RTi12. Congtratulations to you on the T6 getting a Stereophile class A rating in the latest issue.

Thanks Marker. My first thought was that NHT's advertising budget must have went up, but unfortunately the company who owns NHT is almost bankrupt, so that obviously isn't the reason they got the class A ranking.

I wonder what will eventually happen to NHT. Maybe Polk will can buy them out?

Edit Doro, the S200 is a power amp, not an integrated, although NAD did make an integrated too in that series, the S300 I believe.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Sorry, that's what I meant to say....thanks for the correction, damn this stupid brain ;)

I had the S300 in my head at the time for some reason....hmmm
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited March 2005
    Options
    marker,I would be interested on how the 12's mate up with that NAD...Let us know your thoughts please...
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bigsexy1
    Thanks Marker. My first thought was that NHT's advertising budget must have went up, but unfortunately the company who owns NHT is almost bankrupt, so that obviously isn't the reason they got the class A ranking.

I wonder what will eventually happen to NHT. Maybe Polk will can buy them out?

NHT is currently owned by Rockford Industries, which also owns MB Quart, Hafler, and of course, Rockford. So they are in trouble now?
  • marker
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Mike Reeter
    marker,I would be interested on how the 12's mate up with that NAD...Let us know your thoughts please...

Will do Mike, although this is kind of silly in a way as my amp will probably be far better than the speakers it is driving.

I know sources and electronics are very important, but I'm from the school of thought that the speakers should dominate the total budget of the system, at least 50%.
  • marker
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Danny Tse
    NHT is currently owned by Rockford Industries, which also owns MB Quart, Hafler, and of course, Rockford. So they are in trouble now?

That is correct Danny, Rockford now owns them. I don't know how bad off they are financially though. I hope not, as it would be a shame to see some of those companies disappear.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by jdhdiggs
    Let me ruin that for you Jesse: Looks just like the $85 TEAC!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Sweetness! Report back on the sound. You will not be dissapointed with NAD. The silver series is their high end line. I'm very impressed with the C270 powering my LSi9. You can't go wrong with NAD when it comes to amplifiers. Your RTi12's are going to sing!

Maurice
  • marker
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Will do organ! According to the tracking info, it should be here Thursday, and I will get it set up this weekend. I'm going to run it off of zone 2 on my NAD T753 receiver to power my pair of RTi12. I will finally get to use them after they have just been sitting in their boxes in a closet for almost a year now.
  • bigsexy1
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Danny Tse

Danny, the word is that they are in trouble. NHT has bounced around now to a few companies who have seemingly all had problems, Jensen to Rectocon, now to Rockford. I'd like to see a real strong vibrant company get them, but one who will leave them alone to operate independantly.