Line Drivers

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Why don't you ever hear of people using a line driver into a balanced line in their systems? Seems like there is absolutely no reason not to do it, a bit of cash and patience assumed.
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    ...a bit of cash and patience assumed.
    looks like you answered your own question. :)
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Yup. Most people, me included, like to keep things nice and simple.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    but... but... it's just such a good idea, is it really that tough to implement? or is it really not that good an idea?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Well to be totally honest, I havent a clue what youre talking about. I always thought line drive was a baseball term. :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    lol... i am perhaps missing some sarcasm, but this does serve to clarify what i mean:

a line driver takes a regular (aka unbalanced) RCA input, and outputs a balanced signal; this carries two copies of the same signal, only one is inverted. then, when any noise imposes itself on the signals in the cable, it imposes itself identically on the two signals. then, at the recieving end, one of the signals is inverted again, and the two are added. the original, intended music is restored, and since one signal was inverted, the noise on it cancels exactly with the noise on the non-inverted signal.

net result? louder and theoretically noise-free music (well, free from induced noise, not from amp noise etc.).

but then what would we do with all our expensive RCAs? :)

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    i know 2 ppl that tried them. i was with one of them when he put it in. i didnt hear a difference at all. waste of money imo
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    I want being sarcastic, I really didnt know what they were. ;)

But now that Ive been ejikated I would think they would be pretty much useless unless you were running a $6 set of Radio Shack RCA cables. Any decent set of shielded and twisted RCA's would eliminate virtually all induced noise.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2005
    Well - the good part of that idea is that it gives you a LINE DRIVER in there.

I'd like 8 volt preouts :)

Three 8 volt preouts and the ability to use crap RCA's would be a good thing - money I spent on RCA's would be used to pay for the thee line drivers...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    okay, this isn't line drivers, but are there external time alignment devices? i'm looking to add 6"-8" midbasses, eventually, and due to space constraints they may have to go in the footwells in the middle of the car, and they'll definately need TA... any ideas?

• MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Phasing.

That may work.

By having your midbasses out of phase theyll be firing a tad later than the others. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesnt.