If It's Too Loud... You Got Polk!

Options
haroo
haroo Posts: 83
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
:D Re: hearing loss,
man o' man, I dont think that i'll ever be the same again.
Picture this... No body home excpt me and my nakamichi limited with yamaha DSP. I'v been building "my hometheater system for about 10 years now, just last month i had a small win fall, SO....
I did what any really coooooold canadain would do, I BOUGHT NEW SPEAKERS,(to keep me warm, ya know).
Like I said... NAKAMICHI LTD.
YAMAHA DSP
RT800I X2
RT40 X4
CS400 X1
PSW450 X1
(& Enegry100 passive sub)
???? Are ya' getting the picture????
SMOKIN' SOUND,I broke them in real slow(a week or 2 @ 30-60bd) well, no one home,new "kid rock" cd,18-12' room...& ME,
lest just say that POLK AUDIO,YOU ROCK!!!. I put the sound meter in the center of the room and clocked the 10th track @ 117 Db...! i still cant hear the whole spectrum of sound that god created since then. WOW ! I have never heard sound like that excpt @ the 1988 Motly crue concert ( i was 18yrs old) im 31 now
man, this is one happy polk adjusted audiophile!
THNKX MATTHEW POLK, YOU CHANGED MY LIFE...AND HEARING.
NAKAMICHI HAROO
:cool:
" GOD CREATED THE GIFT OF SOUND,YOUR GIFT TO GOD IS WHAT YOU DO WITH IT !"'
*** ( OOPS- turns out that "dean" is right?!?!?,after reading the post from DEAN yesterday... i looked in to it and turns out that my Db meter was miss calabrated <20Db>,i took it to a friend (he's a sound engeneer @ uofc) he recalabrated it.) sorry for the missinfo, the sound level was more like 97Db.& thx to DEAN for the CONSTRUCTIVE HMMM?!?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
--MARANTZ SR18ex 140wpc x 5 (high current/direct amp)thx-ex "ultra"
electrohome tube amp 15watt. pr channel(aprox.1955a.d.) for 2 channel audio{recently recapped& tubed-5ar4power rect. & 12au7)
-kenwood amp(km-996/140wpc(used for 7.1 rears(thx ex)
-toshiba dvd video/audio player(progressive scan) sd-4700
-sony sacd cd player scd-xe670
-nakamichi "music bank cd player "6+1disk(20bit dac)
-toshiba hifi vcr (v3 pro head)
-motorola digital cable box
-RCA 32' "home theater" PIP tv
-polk RT800i x 2 (mains) ~bi-wired
-polk sc400i x 1 (center) ~bi-wired
-polk fx300i x 2 (side fx) ~di-pole
-polk r10 x 2 (rears)
-polk pws250 (powered sub)
-2x173ltr(48"-16")sono subs(powered by kenwood kr-7200 250watt & w/ audiosource EQ (model eq eight/series II)
-Thorens td-166 mk II/Grado silver fs1
-Thorens td-160/empire 66cart
-Dual 601
-D.I.Y. carfea "little big horns"-(pioneer full range 8" & fostex 4" compression horn tweaters
-sony (ps1)
-sony (ps2)

-haroo, "GOD gave you the gift of sound, Your gift to God is what you do with it!"
"marantz haroo"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited March 2002
    Options
    heehh????? (grabbing ear)

~JB
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    glad to hear you're loving your new polks! keep it cranked like that though, and you won't be hearing for long...;)

welcome to the forum!:D
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Options
    WHAT?
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    Options
    You can figure this out without the SPL meter.

800i's are 90db/w at 1 meter (3 feet)

You lose about 3db of that if you move another meter back. Another 3db if you move 4 meters back. I'm betting your listening position is about 12 feet from the face of the speakers. So -- adjusting for real life here I'm figuring your 800i's alone are chugging out are about 84 db at 1 watt at the listening position.

However, you got them (4) RT40's going and that means we can add 6db (3db for each set). So here we are, back to where we started -- 90db at 1 watt.

We should add an additional 3 db for in room response. This is fairly typical. So -- 93db/w total.

Here we go:

93 1 watt
    96 2 watts
    99 4 watts
    102 8 watts
    105 16 watts
    108 32 watts
    111 64 watts
    114 128 watts
    117 256 watts
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Haroo-WELCOME TO THE FORUM. Glad you like your Polks.
    Chris :)