Just ordered my first (car) sub ever!

2»

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    ...which came first, chicken or the egg...
    chicken
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2005
    Dan Wiggins has posted a couple of times on using foam surround with the Brahmas. Along with what has already been said foam apparently is much better for "suck back" that happens to the surround caused by the pressure inside high excursion sub enclosures. With UV protection used now on foam, it will last for years. I have drivers that are 10+ years old that the foam surround still looks new.

Chad is making some GREAT products. I have run the AVA 15 and 18 in my vehicle and I currently have (4) AVA 15's in my HT. they are awesome.

Brian
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2005
    you do have a point... that foam is thick... and i was proud of 1 15 in my house! :D
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited April 2005
    Polks reason for using Foam surrounds in their home subs was it was near impossible to mold rubber into a surround with such a round roll (a huge surround) with rubber as it was with foam...

Foam isnt near as heavy as rubber either, so it may be faster.

And most of these subwoofers with foam surrounds are incredibly thick surrounds...

That is an awesome sub! Congrats!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2005
    You mean this is your first car sub? Wow.....congrats on finally gettin' one! A nice one, too, I might add. Looks real nice, and sounds like it really does the job well. For $145....I just might be looking at one myself.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2005
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    You mean this is your first car sub? Wow.....congrats on finally gettin' one! A nice one, too, I might add. Looks real nice, and sounds like it really does the job well. For $145....I just might be looking at one myself.
    Yes, this is my first car sub. I've waited oh-so-long to get one, but now I'm happy. It has yet to disappoint me.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited May 2005
    Is one Atlas enough?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2005
    Originally posted by simon
    Is one Atlas enough?
    depends on what "enough" is to you. WinISD says that a single Atlas 12 in 1.8 cubes sealed will put out around 120 dB, IIRC. It'll be louder in the car w/ cabin gain. I could probably use another one, or I'd just go with the Avalanche 12. However, for normal listening, the one Atlas is definitely plenty.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2