Mm6500

bam88
bam88 Posts: 82
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have the new mm6500 and Ive got it hooked up to a hifonics nx880 amp which is bout 110 per chan. I didnt think that would be a problem for the momos but everytime i turn it up the driver pops. Any sugestions?
Post edited by bam88 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    lots of headunits make a little pop as you increment the volume, especially in the bass. This isn't bad, and there's nothing to do about it, as long as it's only happening as you change the volume.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • bam88
    edited March 2005
    nope its after i turn it up
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    okay, let me get this straight. is it
    a) at high volumes, the front speakers pop OR

b) as you turn the volume knob, they pop a couple times and then stop.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    My Alpine pops ever so slightyly as Im turning it up but you can only hear it at each increment and if the music is low enough.

Other than that, could you be more clear on "pop". If you mean a constant popping at regular intervals then its something else thats the problem.

Be a little more specific as to your symptons and we'll be able to help ya better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bam88
    edited March 2005
    As i get up passed 20 on the volume level when playing songs with bass in it when the bass note hits in the song it pops as if its struggling to play it. I have the amp set on full signal and the crossover set at -6.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2005
    Are they high-passed? When you say "turn it up past 20" that doesn't tell us much. I've seen Pioneers go to 60 and I've seen other HU's max at 20. Is it ¼,½,¾,etc.? It sounds like you're driving them into clipping. Try reducing the gain on the amp.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    ooh, ooh, i can do this. well, you can, by doing this to set your gains properly.

also note that a crossover slope of -6 is very shallow. you should have at least a 12 dB/octave slope, lowpass to the sub anywhere from 60-125 Hz to taste, with a corresponding highpass to the fronts.

• MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    I tell ya what grabs me out of his statement. "I have the amp set at full signal". Does this mean you have the gain turned all the way up? If so, thats your problem. Get up from the compy right now and find somebody to slap you in the face 3 times.

With the gain turned all the way up, youre pushing your amp into clipping with the head unit turned up much passed 5 and sending a major distorted signal to your speakers. Youre lucky you havent shredded your speakers by now.

Go read Neo's link on how to properly adjust the gain and try again.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited March 2005
    I think the -6 was the tweeter level on the passives, and my guess is that the gain's all the way up. Turn it down.
  • bam88
    edited March 2005
    well i meant full signal on the amp using the built in xover and seeing as how im using the passive crosovers i chose full signal.
    But as far as the gain goes ill look into it. Im also gonna look into the bass settings on the amp. Im affraid i didnt choose so wisely when i chose an installer for my polks and amp. Oh well ... hey im learning.... and that cant be a bad thing. :cool:
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Its best to do your own installing partner. Its a lot easier to troubleshoot when you know how it was installed. Plus its half the fun.

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Plus its half the fun.

The other half is cuttin your fingers and hands up and nearly breakin your back to get stuff right. But I love it anyway. :D
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    oh, great way to encourage him :). but yeah, follow that gains link, cause it handles both the issues you said you'd check.

plus, figuring out why the guide is written as it is makes for a great learning experience :).